Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Thread Starter???

Resolved [RESOLVED] Thread Starter???

So....just noticed that the OP now gets a temporary "Thread Starter" in bold below their info. I would guess that the feature has been there for months and I have just missed it. Is that the case, or is it new?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: Thread Starter???

It looks like it is located adjacent to the avatar if you have one, or below Posts if you don't have an avatar.

I'm pretty sure it first arrived a few hours ago.... it's kind of useful I guess, as it can sometimes be hard to remember.

I like it. Reminds me who's the OP incase someone highjacks a thread.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I definitely like it, and I'm glad to hear that it was added only recently. It would kind of suck if it had been there for months and I only noticed it today.

I can remember replying to somebody thinking they were the OP only to find that they were another 0 post person who happened to chime in on the same thread about the same subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I definitely like it, and I'm glad to hear that it was added only recently. It would kind of suck if it had been there for months and I only noticed it today.
    Don't worry, you're not that crazy yet.

Wow. That looks ugly as hell. I think it would look better like this:-
    Name:  Better Thread Starter.png
Views: 232
Size:  12.8 KB
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I like it. Reminds me who's the OP incase someone highjacks a thread.
    If it were around during the great forum crash of 2002 it would have helped because the first post of a lot of threads went missing.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

It's something we're trying out. Do you like it's location or would it be better if it were between the member title and the green reputation lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Do you like it's location or would it be better if it were between the member title and the green reputation lights?
    I second this.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

hmmmm. It was a multi choice question. Which part did you second

You only offered between the member title and the gems which is one choice. Its a good choice because where it currently is gives the user name section an unordered look when the user has a full size avatar like Shaggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    You only offered between the member title and the gems which is one choice. Its a good choice because where it currently is gives the user name section an unordered look when the user has a full size avatar like Shaggy.
    well i think steve means that the actual or the one that will be deployed (between the member title and the green reputation lights).

Well the current one looks terrible when the user has an avatar. The alternative would look much better.

cant we have a threat solver too with a number so if i solved someones problem he press the little solver icon or W/E and i get +1 ..its kinda good so people can findout if they did good or not and other people can see whos the real programmer :P ()
    Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pc Monk View Post
    cant we have a threat solver too with a number so if i solved someones problem he press the little solver icon or W/E and i get +1 ..its kinda good so people can findout if they did good or not and other people can see whos the real programmer :P ()
    yeah and under the post count there should be a thread solve count..

I prefer the location that the tag is located at for those without an avatar: The way Niya showed it in #7. I also like the idea of it being a color other than black, since most everything else is black text in that area. I'm not so sure about Blue, though, as it just seems kind of subtle.

Give the glory hunters something else to fight over? I think not!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Lol View Post
    yeah and under the post count there should be a thread solve count..
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Give the glory hunters something else to fight over? I think not!
    Seriously? I'm with Dun on this one... don't like that idea at all. That's what the rep system is for in the first place... sometimes 1) the OP doesn't come back to mark their threads as resolved... 2) the solution ends up not being the solution because they left something out, or it wasn't quite right in the first place ... 3) the solution actually gets spread out over a number of postings as part of a larger discussion.

To the topic at hand... I like the idea of a Thread Starter tag of some kind.... the current location next to the avatar, quite honestly, sucks... after reading Shaggy's post, I still couldn't find it... I was looking for it around the spot where the user tag is... I like the placement suggested in post #7 ... Blue would be OK by me, but I would definitely keep it bolded. Otherwise it would blend in too much and become part of the noise. Another alternative is to put it next to the User's name and reword it to "<-- started all this!"

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hmmm, perhaps it should be called Who's to Blame.

Of course, that would mean that the current discussion is no more than yet another conversation about placing the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Another alternative is to put it next to the User's name and reword it to "<-- started all this!"
    I though of having the thread starter indicator next to the user name but what would happen to the layout with someone who has a long handle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not so sure about Blue, though, as it just seems kind of subtle.
    Actually my first thought was red as it stands out the most but red in documents usually carries negative connotations. People are used to seeing red signifying all kinds of bad things. Seeing red anywhere near a user name is likely to trigger a "what has this user done" kind of mental reaction. Blue really is not "Look here!" enough though, I agree. Magenta might be better.
    Last edited by Niya; Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Here's another suggestion using purple as the colour:-
    Name:  Better Thread Starter2.png
Views: 185
Size:  8.2 KB

This one stands out a little more don't you think ?

3) the solution actually gets spread out over a number of postings as part of a larger discussion.
    be honest i knew someone would say this. BUT its just like lady of the year theres bunch of ladies but only 1 get the award in post they may be 10 people that try to help but only 1 gets the title cause he post it first
    2) the solution ends up not being the solution because they left something out, or it wasn't quite right in the first place
    you mean they didnt do something right ? they had a syntax error etc... well thats the solution cause if he did know he wouldnt make a threat in first place and whoever did solve HIS solution is the solver! correct me if i'm wrong

Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

be honest i knew someone would say this. BUT its just like lady of the year theres bunch of ladies but only 1 get the award in post they may be 10 people that try to help but only 1 gets the title cause he post it first

you mean they didnt do something right ? they had a syntax error etc... well thats the solution cause if he did know he wouldnt make a threat in first place and whoever did solve HIS solution is the solver! correct me if i'm wrong

These forums doesn't strictly adhere to a question and answer format like StackOverflow does. This is an arena of discussion and though many people come here to ask questions, there isn't always a straightforward answer. Many questions here ultimately serve as a platform to launch a discussion.

PowerPoster

How about taking their avatar if any and displaying a "Bill Gates mugshot" placard saying "Thread Starter" on top of it?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    How about taking their avatar if any and displaying a "Bill Gates mugshot" placard saying "Thread Starter" on top of it?
    lol...

I'm not talking about syntax issues.... I'm talkoing about "XYZ doesn't work, what did I do wrong?" ... and then someone posts a "solution" to the exact problem posted... but what the OP leaves out is this extraneous information that had an impact on the problem... so when they apply the solution, it still doesn't work. Also I've seen people post BAD solutions, the kind of code that makes a lot of us cringe when we see it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

OMG Dilettante has an avatar! The world's coming to an end. Preserved here in case he changes his mind and no one believes me:-
    Name:  DilletanteAvatar.png
Views: 182
Size:  6.8 KB

PowerPoster

It's actually an old one recycled. I've used quite a few in the past.

I also have a few "signature badges" but they might be too over the top to actually use.

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Name:  CCA.gif
Views: 174
Size:  3.0 KB
    Last edited by dilettante; Aug 18th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

I'm not talking about syntax issues.... I'm talkoing about "XYZ doesn't work, what did I do wrong?" ... and then someone posts a "solution" to the exact problem posted... but what the OP leaves out is this extraneous information that had an impact on the problem... so when they apply the solution, it still doesn't work. Also I've seen people post BAD solutions, the kind of code that makes a lot of us cringe when we see it.

-tg
    And no sooner do I post about this kind of behavior, when the very next thread I visited exhibited that exact problem... the first "solution" posted, while does answer the OP's issue... it was a very bad programming habit... worse yet, when it was pointed out, the "solution" poster then tried to defend it!

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    It's actually an old one recycled. I've used quite a few in the past.

I also have a few "signature badges" but they might be too over the top to actually use.

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Name:  CCA.gif
Views: 174
Size:  3.0 KB

Still, it looks strange to me seeing you with an avatar. Its like watching Ben Stiller play the Terminator or Arnold playing Mark Zuckerberg. It just calls you to attention.

Shouldn't that be 'Troublemaker' or 'Rabble rouser' in the Chit Chat forum?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Guys - This thread was very hard to read because it was hijacked with a secondary issue and then filled with a bit of chitchat on an avatar. Let's try to keep the threads focused, or start new threads if it is a new topic.

To the point of this thread -- the OP notification, I agree that the current placement is not optimal. The question is still open for feedback: what location would you like to see this notification. Keep in mind that we want it to be relatively visible.

Thanks
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about that - I was one of the hijackers there for a bit...

As for the original topic:
    How about a poll instead? Might be a little more meaningful than trying to have to wade through a bunch of (useless) comments.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Guys - This thread was very hard to read because it was hijacked with a secondary issue and then filled with a bit of chitchat on an avatar. Let's try to keep the threads focused, or start new threads if it is a new topic.

To the point of this thread -- the OP notification, I agree that the current placement is not optimal. The question is still open for feedback: what location would you like to see this notification. Keep in mind that we want it to be relatively visible.

Thanks
    Perhaps the thread should be moved to the forum feedback?

As for my opinion on it, I like that it's there as I can tell this thread was hijacked because shaggy's name didn't appear for this whole page. I just don't like where it's currently positioned.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post

Thanks
    Don't you think its better to move this thread to forum feedback ? I was actually thinking about raising that when I first saw it. CC threads seem to be made for derailment(part of their charm ).

EDIT

Ah...dday was thinking the same thing

The thread was started in Chit-Chat because I expected a bunch of people to come back with, "yeah, it's been that way for six months. You blind or sumpn?"

However, if it's a serious discussion, I feel that Niya has presented two good alternatives, one in #7, and a better one in #22. I fully support either, though I think #22 is better than #7.

I moved it under the title. If you don't like that, feel free to yell at me....

I think it looks better than where it was.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

As we can now see - it's been moved. I think it stands out just enough to get the point across.

Yea, that looks much better. Though it still has a jumbled look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast