Thread: DXF file format and usage

Hyperactive Member

DXF file format and usage

I am needing to do some work with some cad files (DXF files) using vb.net.

Open a DXF file
    Get access to the drawing entities like lines, arcs, etc.
    Get access to drawing entities data like start point x/y, end point x/y, center point x/y, line widths, colors, etc.

I need this info to convert a path of entities (lines and arcs) into code that various robots on our shop floor can use to drive their axes. There are no prewritten software packages that currently exist that do this for these robots.

I do not want to purchase AutoCad (the author of DXF files) due to cost and complexity. We will be using a simpler and more cost effective graphical front end to created the DXF files.

Does anybody have some suggestions regarding API's or SDK's that can be used with VB.NET (or possibly java) that would allow me to open DXF, get entity information. I do not mind paying for a good kit that would accomplish this so I do not have to write a DXF importer myself.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VB.net/C# ... Visual Studio 2019
    "None of us are as smart as all of us."

Re: DXF file format and usage

code that various robots on our shop floor can use to drive their axes
    You have robots armed with axes? Thus the war begins. It can't end well!!!

You may find this Code Project Article useful. The program is written in C# so the analysis may be more use than the code at this stage but what's good for C# can usually be quickly made good for VB.

(or possibly java)
    I think you have more than enough problems with your axe wielding robots! Let's not start talking silly. Put down the java and walk away quietly!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Frenzied Member

DXF is just a text file. You can just open one up in Notepad & figure out the format quite easily to parse the entity data.

Hyperactive Member

dunfiddlin:
    You funny.... I actually looked it up before I posted and axes is the plural of axis. Engrish makes no sense to me!
    I don't see a link to a code project???

nbrege:
    I agree, but I would be happy to pay a few bucks for a good, solid, professional SDK rather than rolling my own at this point.

I did see that AutoDesk has a SDK for $5,000/year and $2,500 every year after that...way too steep. I would be willing to use a $500 library is I could find one.
    Thanks,
    Eric
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by flycast View Post
    I don't see a link to a code project???
    A quick Googling of Code Project DXF brought this up as the 1st link: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...D-Format-Files
    This pattern in common to all great programmers I know: they're not experts in something as much as experts in becoming experts in something.

The best programming advice I ever got was to spend my entire career becoming educable. And I suggest you do the same.

Hyperactive Member

Yep...saw that one before posting.
    Thanks,
    Eric