Thread: [RESOLVED] SQL View. Join tables and get a counts WHERE some value is null or not

Resolved [RESOLVED] SQL View. Join tables and get a counts WHERE some value is null or not

Hi,
    I got a Clients (C) table and a ClientMembers (CM) table and want to create a view with columns: C.Id | C.Name | CM.MemberCount | CM.DependantsCount

What distinguish ClientMember from being a Member or Dependant is the presence or absence of a "ClientMemberFk" value (If none, you are a member. If set, you are a dependent of the member by that Fk)

The following does not work (my sql rusted beyond belief after years of using ORMs)
    It say "Invalid object name 'CM'." Where I try do the count.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Code:
    ALTER VIEW ClientListItems
    AS
    SELECT 
    	C.Id, 
    	C.Code, 
    	C.Name, 
    	C.RegistrationDate,
    	(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CM WHERE CM.ClientMemberFk IS NULL) AS MemberCount,
    	(SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CM WHERE CM.ClientMemberFk IS NOT NULL) AS DependantCount
    FROM Clients C
    LEFT JOIN ClientMembers CM ON C.Id = CM.ClientFk

Re: SQL View. Join tables and get a counts WHERE some value is null or not

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM CM WHERE CM.ClientMemberFk IS NULL

There is no CM... CM is an alias, but alas you cannot select from it... try this instead.. a cross apply...

Code:
    SELECT 
    	C.Id, 
    	C.Code, 
    	C.Name, 
    	C.RegistrationDate,
    	MC.TotalCount AS MemberCount,
    	DC.TotalCount AS DependantCount
    FROM Clients C
    cross apply (SELECT COUNT(*) as TotalCount FROM ClientMembers CM where  C.Id = CM.ClientFk and CM.ClientMemberFk IS NULL) as MC
    cross apply (SELECT COUNT(*) as TotalCount FROM ClientMembers CM where  C.Id = CM.ClientFk and CM.ClientMemberFk IS NOT NULL) as DC
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

awesome dude, thanks a lot.

recommend a good "quick reference" book or site? Going to be writing a whole lot of sql again after all the years, and all will involve joins, grouping, etc.

msdn, google... I use the "T-sql" followed by what I'm searching for... so "t-sql cross join" ... cross apply, left join, full outer join... etc...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *