Thread: [RESOLVED] Validate DGV rows contains "0" value before inserting into Access DB

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Validate DGV rows contains "0" value before inserting into Access DB

Dear All,

I am doing an application with DGV to get the user input.
    There are five column and n number of rows which user can add, now i want to validate if the user enters 0 (zero quantity) in a particular column in
    n number of rows before inserting into access db

Here my code but its not checking entire number of rows even i looped DGV, if 1st row is zero and 2,3,4... rows is 1 or > than zero then its validating and if 1st row is 1 or > than zero and 2,3,4... rows is zero then its going to else part.

Code:
    For Each item As DataGridViewRow In Me.DataGridView2.Rows
    If item.Cells(3).Value = 0 Then
    MsgBox("Zero Qty is not Allowed")
    Exit For
    Else
    ' Insert into table Qry
    End If
    Next

Re: Validate DGV rows contains "0" value before inserting into Access DB

The first time that you encounter a zero, you exit the loop (Exit For) so of course it doesn't check all the rows.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    The first time that you encounter a zero, you exit the loop (Exit For) so of course it doesn't check all the rows.
    Thanks for your reply...

Even if i remove the line Exit For its validating only the 1st row.

Code:

Else
    ' Insert into table Qry
    End If
    Next

did you set a breakpoint and step through the code one line at a time? Make sure that it actually is looping.

Also... clear out the bin folder... if you change code, and still experience the samething, it's because it's still running the old code... I'd start there... clear out the bin folder, re-run the app, if it's still not working... breakpoints.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

You may want to validate the data as it is entered. Instead of after all the data is entered. The DGV control has a Validating event.

Lively Member

Hi tg...

I have cleared all the bin files and check with the break points, if i enters value in two rows out of that 1st rows has value and the 2nd row has zero and i run through the break point IF condition becomes false at 1st row because 1st row contains value and directly goes to the Else part (loop is not checking the next rows) and finally my rows are getting inserted in DB...
    Please advice...

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    did you set a breakpoint and step through the code one line at a time? Make sure that it actually is looping.

Also... clear out the bin folder... if you change code, and still experience the samething, it's because it's still running the old code... I'd start there... clear out the bin folder, re-run the app, if it's still not working... breakpoints.

-tg

Ok... hold on... let me break this down so I get it...

[quote] if i enters value in two rows out of that 1st rows has value and the 2nd row has zero[/qote]
    OK... so it looks like this?
    Code:
    Row 1 --- Value = 1
    Row 2 --- Value = 0
    Right...

and i run through the break point IF condition becomes false at 1st row because 1st row contains value and directly goes to the Else part
    Yes... correct... so row 1 has a value... so it's doing exactly what you told it to ... if the value is 0, display message, if the value IS NOT 0 then insert it...

my rows are getting inserted in DB...
    Again... right... because the value is NOT 0, it will get inserted...
    And as you step through, after it adds row1, it should go back to the top of the loop, and grab row2...

And at that point, row 2 has a 0, so there you SHOULD get the message box, but by that point, Row 1 has ALREADY been added to the database...
    So it IS doing exactly what you told it to do...

Is that not what you want?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

yes exactly you understand my problem...
    loop should check all the rows before inserting into DB and i unable to find where my logic goes wrong...

[QUOTE=techgnome;4482763]Ok... hold on... let me break this down so I get it...

if i enters value in two rows out of that 1st rows has value and the 2nd row has zero[/qote]
    OK... so it looks like this?
    Code:
    Row 1 --- Value = 1
    Row 2 --- Value = 0
    Right...

Yes... correct... so row 1 has a value... so it's doing exactly what you told it to ... if the value is 0, display message, if the value IS NOT 0 then insert it...

Again... right... because the value is NOT 0, it will get inserted...
    And as you step through, after it adds row1, it should go back to the top of the loop, and grab row2...

And at that point, row 2 has a 0, so there you SHOULD get the message box, but by that point, Row 1 has ALREADY been added to the database...
    So it IS doing exactly what you told it to do...

Is that not what you want?

-tg

you're logic is wrong by inserting on the INSIDE of the loop...
    Code:

Else
    ' Insert into table Qry
    End If
    Next
    Clearly (now)... that's not what you need or want...

Code:
    dim someFlag as Boolean = True
        someFlag = False
        exit for
      End If
    Next

if someFlag then
      'NOW do your insert...
    end if

-tg

Lively Member

Bunch of Thanks tg...
    As per your code logic its works perfect, now i want to learn more on flag concept, and many more thanks for teaching me

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    you're logic is wrong by inserting on the INSIDE of the loop...
    Code:

Else
    ' Insert into table Qry
    End If
    Next
    Clearly (now)... that's not what you need or want...

Code:
    dim someFlag as Boolean = True
        someFlag = False
        exit for
      End If
    Next

if someFlag then
      'NOW do your insert...
    end if

-tg

the flag is jsut a boolean... indicates a state, yes or no, true or false, on or off... it's nothing special... I just gave it some generic name.... this works equaly well...

Code:
    dim doInsert as Boolean = True
        doInsert = False
        exit for
      End If
    Next

if doInsert then
      'NOW do your insert...
    end if

-tg