Thread: C++ versus VB.net for writing COM application

C++ versus VB.net for writing COM application

What are the pros and cons of using C++ versus VB.net for writing COM application? When I googled around, it seems C++ is a better choice. Little mention of using VB.net. Is it because C++ is significantly faster?

Re: C++ versus VB.net for writing COM application

C++ is incredibly faster.

What are you looking to develop??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    C++ is incredibly faster.

What are you looking to develop??
    I am only a newbie. I have to start with something easier. Is VB.net easier to develop?

.Net is a library of functions that makes many aspects of programming very easy.

C is a different syntax then BASIC - if you do not know either language you should make a choice based on what you think your future will be. C-syntax is much like JavaScript - so if you are going to work with browser app's at some point, then learning the C-syntax makes sense.

C++ is a low-level programming language intended to be used when a high-level language doesn't fit the requirements. In C++ you are in charge of managing your memory usage.

C# is a high-level programming language like VB. C# and VB can both call the .Net library. Both of these languages manage memory for you.

So your question really is - do I want to program in a low-level language or a high-level language.

Low-level languages are intended to be used for very specific situations. For instance, I've developed a library of my own C++ functions for text searching - and I call those from VB.Net.

What type of COM application are you looking to develop????

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I want to retrieve data from a database and place it in Excel. There should be convenient Excel formulas to retrieve the data and populate the cells.