Thread: Starting with Assembly

Question Starting with Assembly

I have tried different programming languages already but haven't really tried assembly and I am very interested to have a taste of it even if I will not be able to use it professionally, I just want to have a little understanding on how it works. Any "hello world" tutorial out there? I'd prefer MASM if possible.

TIA
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: Starting with Assembly

You may want to read the online version of The Art of Assembly Language Programming or download the CHM/PDF version of the HLA version of The Art of Assembly Language Programming. See also this page for more Assembly links.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Thanks Bonnie, that is indeed a good read! Was gonna rep that but I still need to spread around.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I have tried different programming languages already but haven't really tried assembly and I am very interested to have a taste of it even if I will not be able to use it professionally, I just want to have a little understanding on how it works. Any "hello world" tutorial out there? I'd prefer MASM if possible.

TIA
    I would recommend a book by http://www.asmirvine.com/

The older editions go pretty cheap, and it's a solid book.
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

A couple of months ago I also wanted to play assembly and I've found some good tutorials on the following webpages:
    win32assembly.programminghorizon.com/tutorials.html
    www.madwizard.org/programming/tutorials/
    www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/

If you're just interested in playing with ASM, www.compileonline.com is an option.

Name:  asm_compileonline_com.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  22.4 KB

I have setup a BitBucket project for the KoolB/Chameleon BASIC ASM compiler.

BASM Bitbucket Project Site
    Last edited by ScriptBASIC; Oct 27th, 2015 at 12:42 AM.

I'm like 2 years late, but I found that starting out with a basic CPU simulator helps to get used to the idea of programming so low to the hardware.
    Programming for the Motorola 68000 family is what I did in school. Getting into that is a breeze, and going from that to MASM or something similar is easier from 68K ASM than to do it right off the bat.

The simulator we used is here: http://www.easy68k.com/