Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Store Application: Image Source

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows Store Application: Image Source

OK, this really sucks!

I just want to display a picture from a dynamically created path.

This is my code :
    Code:
        Private arrFolderNames() As String
        Private arrSubFolderNames() As String
        Private arrFileNames() As String

Private Async Sub btSelect_Click(sender As Object, e As RoutedEventArgs) Handles btSelect.Click

Dim RootFolder As StorageFolder = KnownFolders.PicturesLibrary

Dim FolderList As IReadOnlyList(Of IStorageItem) = Await RootFolder.GetItemsAsync

Dim Counter As Integer

For Each folder In FolderList

If TypeOf folder Is StorageFolder Then
                    lstFolders.Items.Add(folder.Name)
                    ReDim Preserve arrFolderNames(Counter)
                    arrFolderNames(Counter) = folder.Path
                    Counter += 1

End If
            Next

End Sub

Private Async Sub lstFolders_SelectionChanged(sender As Object, e As SelectionChangedEventArgs) Handles lstFolders.SelectionChanged
            Dim SubFolder As StorageFolder = Await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(arrFolderNames(lstFolders.SelectedIndex))

Dim SubFolderList As IReadOnlyList(Of IStorageItem) = Await SubFolder.GetItemsAsync

Dim Counter As Integer

For Each Folder In SubFolderList

If TypeOf Folder Is StorageFolder Then
                    lstSubFolders.Items.Add(Folder.Name)
                    ReDim Preserve arrSubFolderNames(Counter)
                    arrSubFolderNames(Counter) = Folder.Path
                    Counter += 1
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

Private Async Sub lstSubFolders_SelectionChanged(sender As Object, e As SelectionChangedEventArgs) Handles lstSubFolders.SelectionChanged
            Dim SubFolder As StorageFolder = Await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(arrSubFolderNames(lstSubFolders.SelectedIndex))

Dim SubFolderList As IReadOnlyList(Of IStorageItem) = Await SubFolder.GetItemsAsync

Dim Counter As String
            For Each File In SubFolderList

If TypeOf File Is StorageFile Then
                    lstFiles.Items.Add(File.Name)
                    ReDim Preserve arrFileNames(Counter)
                    arrFileNames(Counter) = File.Path
                    Counter += 1
                End If
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub lstFiles_SelectionChanged(sender As Object, e As SelectionChangedEventArgs) Handles lstFiles.SelectionChanged

Dim TempImage As New BitmapImage()
            Dim strPicLoc As String = arrFileNames(lstFiles.SelectedIndex)

TempImage.UriSource = New Uri(strPicLoc, UriKind.Absolute)

imgWall.Stretch = Stretch.Fill

imgWall.Source = TempImage

End Sub
    As you can probably see, I continously build a file path. First, I store the main folder path, then the selected subfolder path, and finally the file name inside a particular sub folder.

Now, I want to display the picture ( which is the selected file ) inside an Image control.

I have set breakpoints and my URI is correct and by all sense it should show the picture - which it doesn't

I searched everywhere and MSDN's help is so useless, I have literally tried each and every example on there to no avail!

Is there some magic trick I should know?

Hannes

Re: Windows Store Application: Image Source

Is there some magic trick I should know?
    What about the one where you actually tell us what imgWall, which is evidently the most important variable in the whole thing, is? Is it a display control of some kind or merely, as it's name suggests, another image? If it's the latter then perhaps you could explain why you expect it to suddenly become visible?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Thanks for your sarcastic reply. I thought my explanation was quite thorough. But here goes:

imgWall is an Image control - this control you find in your toolbox. You use an Image control to display images. I need to set the source of it. It is Visible by default, as the Visibility property ( in the properties window - the one where you set all your properties. A property is something that describes an object ) is set to Visible ( meaning it is visible ) the moment you create it ( by double clicking on it ).

The lstFiles_SelectionChanged event ( this is an event for ListBoxes that happens when you select an item ) should display my picture - which is well, how can I make it simple, a PICTURE.

Thanks again, for just adding onto my frustration...

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Thanks for your sarcastic reply. I thought my explanation was quite thorough.
    Don't mind him Hannes , it takes a while to get used to his provocative posting style. He is actually quite a helpful and knowledgeable fellow. His thorns only look venomous but he's a teddy bear

As for your problem....I've never actually used the BitmapImage class but from what I saw in the MSDN, you seem to have missed something. The sample code there places the setting of the UriSource property between a BeginInit and EndInit call which is missing from your code. Try that and see if it works.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Like this:-
    vbnet Code:
    1. '
    2.     Private Sub lstFiles_SelectionChanged(sender As Object, e As SelectionChangedEventArgs) Handles lstFiles.SelectionChanged
    4.         Dim TempImage As New BitmapImage()
    5.         Dim strPicLoc As String = arrFileNames(lstFiles.SelectedIndex)
    7.         TempImage.BeginInit() 'Added this
    8.         TempImage.UriSource = New Uri(strPicLoc, UriKind.Absolute)
    9.         TempImage.EndInit() 'Added this
    11.         imgWall.Stretch = Stretch.Fill
    13.         imgWall.Source = TempImage
    16.     End Sub
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

OK, I fixed it. yay!

My whole problem was that I never actually opened / read the contents of the file. So, I tried a whole different route. I did this :

Code:
    Dim strPicLoc As String = arrFileNames(lstFiles.SelectedIndex)

Dim File2 As StorageFile = Await StorageFile.GetFileFromPathAsync(strPicLoc)

Dim src as New BitmapImage()

src.SetSource(Await File2.OpenAsync.FileAccessMode.Read))

imgWall.Source = src
    It is amazing what sleep can do.

Hannes

Re: [RESOLVED] Windows Store Application: Image Source

Ah ok cool

My whole problem was that I never actually opened / read the contents of the file.
    Uh-uh!

His thorns only look venomous but he's a teddy bear
    Well, that's years of painstakingly putting together a convincing cover out the window then!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Well, that's years of painstakingly putting together a convincing cover out the window then!
    That's why you need a cover for a cover, so you can avoid these entanglements