Thread: Merge Text Files To Display Specific Values In Certain Areas Only

Question Merge Text Files To Display Specific Values In Certain Areas Only

Hello, I am creating a program in Visual Basic 2010 Express where a list box (lbCurrentStudents) displays a text file (CurrentStudents.txt) to show the current students in a company. There is a text field (txtAddNewStudent) to add another student into the text file which is then shown on the list box. When a value is selected on the list box (lbCurrentStudents), you can click an edit button (btnEdit) which opens up a new form (frmStudentDetails.vb) and displays text boxes and other fields. These include: the name of the student (txtName), the address of the student (txtAddress), the city that the student lives in (txtCity), their Date of Birth (dtpDOB) - which is a date time picker, their gender (cmbGender) - which is a combo box, their contact number (txtNumber), and two radio buttons which show if they're enrolled in the system or not.

What I am looking for is when these fields are filled out in the edit form (frmStudentDetails.vb) I would like them to save to a new text file, and be specifically assigned to the names of each student (the names are saved in CurrentStudents.txt) - so that when a name is selected on the list box (lbCurrent Students) in the main form (frmAdmin), and the edit button is clicked (btnEdit), that student will have specific details shown on the edit form (frmStudentDetails.vb).

Here are some images of my current design: http://imgur.com/a/CpDKY

Please help me out.
    Thank you.

Re: Merge Text Files To Display Specific Values In Certain Areas Only

Text files are going to be clumsy, difficult to work with and easily tampered with. Database not so.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!