Thread: How to find a word or number throughout the tables?

Question How to find a word or number throughout the tables?

There is any option for find a particular word or number in all tables in the specific database. Now i'm using MS ACCESS-2007.I can find specific word in tables alone.For eg:I can select one table.Then provide the search word,It will provide the result for the particular table only.For searching another table i have to navigate to the another table and provide the search key.But how to find the word by giving one place and search out all the tables then produce the result.

Re: How to find a word or number throughout the tables?

Database is really not designed that way. All the data is separated by tables. Unless you have some cleaver UNIONs setup (making sure the shape of your table fields are the same), there is really no reason to search through all tables. Instead you should have 1 table (or joined tables) and store all your data there (maybe having different TYPE specified that differentiates records). At this point it's hard to tell since we know nothing about the structure of your data.

There are search tools and stored procedures available for that in MS SQL. Just by their nature they tend to be very slow. I don't know about Access so I won't post any MS SQL links to examples. They are easy to find via Google.

The shape of my table fields are same.I give an example,My tables contain the following fields "SNO,CID,NAME,ADDRESS,PHNO,CAPACITY,INSTALLATION DATE". The database is created for the purpose of managing details about the customers Who are all buying product from the UPS company.It is mainly used for the managing purpose.So we have to find out full detial about the customer from the database by using key such as CID or PHNO.The problem is i stored my customer details in different tables based on their location for easy maintenance.I want to find out the details of the particular customer through out the table by using single search instead of searching in tables alone.

Please give any solution for solve my problem

Redesign of your database is the first thing that comes in mind.
    You should have a single customer table with for example: CustomerID, Address, Name, Phone, ...
    Then use CustomID as a foreign key in your other tables.

I have only primary key option in my MS Access 2007 database.Then how to make customerID as foreign key.Is there any other way to create foreign key in Access2007?