Thread: add numbers from a text file

Lively Member

add numbers from a text file

Hi

How can I add numbers from a text file (and there are only numbers in that txt file), without using IO.File.ReadAllLines

is there any other method?

I can't use the above because my code must work on a desktop pc, as well as on a pocket pc.
    and ReadAllLines is not supported in the compact framework for Windows Mobile.

thanks
    Last edited by HyperUniverse; Jul 25th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Re: add numbers from a text file

Hmm. How can I enter a room without opening the door? How can I eat a boiled egg without cracking the shell?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Lively Member

so are you telling me that on a pocket pc there is no way to add the numbers in a text file and display the result on a label?

you can enter the room via the window
    and you can swallow the whole egg

I helped you with your problem,
    can you help me with my problem?

No I'm telling you that there's no way to do anything with any kind of file without actually opening it and reading it. If you want a different way of reading a file then there are loads of them but they all amount to the same thing, get values, process values, display result.

and you can swallow the whole egg
    Well you might be able to .... !

EDIT:
    and ReadAllLines is not supported in the compact framework for Windows Mobile.
    Might have been useful to lead with that. So what is supported?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

what is supported is the most important question here...

Granted attributes but how would a phone read a text file?

Windows Mobile for Pocket PC, Windows Mobile for Smartphone, Windows CE Platform Note: Because file systems for devices operate differently, the .NET Compact Framework does not support getting or setting file attributes.

StreamReader is supported in the compact framework. You can use the ReadToEnd method to get a string representation of the file.
    This pattern in common to all great programmers I know: they're not experts in something as much as experts in becoming experts in something.

The best programming advice I ever got was to spend my entire career becoming educable. And I suggest you do the same.