Thread: Show program above all Windows 8 apps

Addicted Member

Show program above all Windows 8 apps

I made a program like On Screen Keyboard, all is ok except that, its window shown only when select Desktop from Windows 8 start menu, how can i make it shown above all Windows 8 apps e.g. Messaging, News, Weather, etc...

The Windows built-in On Screen Keyboard is appear above all apps.

Re: Show program above all Windows 8 apps

Yes, but the Windows OSK is part of Windows. If you have built a desktop app then it will only be displayed when the desktop is visible. If you have built a Modern UI app then it will only be visible when the Modern UI is visible and it can't be displayed with other apps, only as an app itself. If you want to display your own OSK at all times then you would have to hook into the Windows OSK itself and replace that. The reason that Swype is not available on iPhone or Windows Phone 7 is because they don't all that to be done. There was talk of that restriction being lifted in Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and Swype becoming available but I've heard nothing official about that happening. In summary, what you want is not possible with an application, Modern or desktop, and may not be possible at all.

Addicted Member

I was think it is possible by some API calls

Fanatic Member

Without having checked it out on windows 8, I've been using something similar to this before to get my window in front of a game that wouldn't let other programs in front of it.

(see answer http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...of-all-windows)

Addicted Member

@Justa Lol

I'm already use the form's property TopMost which is OK when you are in the Desktop, but it has no effect when leaving the desktop