Thread: Try Catch Exit Sub

Frenzied Member

Try Catch Exit Sub

Hi guys I have been googling around and a bit confused. I have a try statement in my code would like if an exception is caught to exit the sub and start over. My code is reading data into a DataTable , when an error is caught and I hit the button to start the sub again the data is still in the table.

Example:
    I have a table with 1 address
    Hit button to send email, address is retrieved , if there is a problem sending the email it is caught in the catch block
    if I hit the button again to send email now I have 2 address's

Bottom line is I am confused as to how to properly code this to handle errors correctly, exit the sub and resume
    In my googling efforts I came across some posts about NOT exiting a sub but using return instead

can someone give me some guidance thanks

Code:
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

GetEmailAdd() 'function to readtable from txt file
            Dim attach As Attachment = Nothing
            If CheckBox1.Checked Then
                Dim filename As String = OpenFileDialog2.FileName
                attach = New Attachment(filename)
            End If
            Dim i As Integer = 1

Dim pauseTime As Integer = CDbl(txttimesecs.Text) * 1000
            Dim result As DialogResult = MessageBox.Show("There are" & " " & emailadd.Count & " " & "Messages to be Sent", "Send Email", MessageBoxButtons.OKCancel, MessageBoxIcon.Question)
            If result = DialogResult.Cancel Then
                Return
            End If
            For Each email In emailadd
                If emailadd.Count <= 0 Then
                    MsgBox("No Email Address Found")
                    Exit Sub
                End If
                Try
                    i = +1
                    Dim sslValue As String = ComboBox1.Text
                    Dim SmtpServer As New SmtpClient()
                    Dim mail As New MailMessage()
                    SmtpServer.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential(txtusername.Text, txtpassword.Text)
                    SmtpServer.Port = CDbl(txtserverport.Text)
                    SmtpServer.Host = txtservername.Text
                    SmtpServer.EnableSsl = sslValue
                    mail = New MailMessage()
                    mail.From = New MailAddress(txtfrom.Text)
                    mail.To.Add(email)
                    mail.Subject = txtsubj.Text
                    If CheckBox1.Checked Then
                        mail.Attachments.Add(attach)
                    End If
                    mail.Body = txtmsgbox.Text
                    If btnhtml.Checked = True Then
                        mail.IsBodyHtml = True
                    Else
                        mail.IsBodyHtml = False
                    End If
                    SmtpServer.Send(mail)
                Catch ex As Exception
                    MsgBox(ex.ToString)
                    MsgBox("No Messages Sent")
                    Exit Try
                    Return
                End Try
            Next
            wait(pauseTime)
            MsgBox(i.ToString & " " & "Messages Sent")
        End Sub

Re: Try Catch Exit Sub

Have a look at this thread if it helps:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ight=exception
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

You don't need the Exit Try in there, it won't do any good. Also, the "Wait" statement makes me nervous.

However, aren't you getting your email addresses in the function GetEmailAdd? That could easily duplicate the addresses, depending on how it is written. It looks like it probably populates a form level collection. If it doesn't clear that collection as a first step, it will just keep adding new ones on every button click.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

Thanks Shaggy I added:

emailadd.Clear()

at the top to clear the collection, that seems to do the trick

Can I ask why the "wait" has you nervous?

Can I ask why the "wait" has you nervous?
    He suspects that you have a loop whirring around doing nothing but checking some value a million times a second eating up CPU, memory and generally doing bad things. If you have, best to say nothing but quietly remove it and replace it with a less damaging method. We don't need another rant! [Ducks out whispering, "I was never here"]
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Yeah, I've become a bit predictable about that. The method doesn't look like a standard method, it looks like something custom, and with a name like that, it sure sounds like a busy wait, which is kind of my favorite rant.

Frenzied Member

Here is what I am doing. Is there a better method? Thanks for your help

Code:
    Public Sub pause(ByVal seconds As Single)
            Dim newDate As Date
            newDate = DateAndTime.Now.AddSeconds(seconds)
            While DateAndTime.Now.Second < newDate.Second
                Threading.Thread.Sleep(100)
            End While
        End Sub
        Public Sub wait(ByVal interval As Integer)
            Dim stopW As New Stopwatch
            stopW.Start()
            Do While stopW.ElapsedMilliseconds < interval
                ' Allows your UI to remain responsive
                Application.DoEvents()
            Loop
            stopW.Stop()
        End Sub

Well, there isn't a worse way. That is exactly what I thought the method would be: A busy wait. It's the one thing I know of that can harm every other program running on you computer, and could theoretically even harm the computer itself. Basically, don't do it, and if you can't think of a better way...still don't do it.

Waiting in place is mostly a mental mistake. People expect a program to be a linnear sequence of events, so as they think it through they think, "and then I want to pause for a bit." Pausing with Thread.Sleep is fine, except that it freezes the UI (if that is thre thread that is sleeping, as it is in your code). The cost of sleeping is nothing at all, since the thread gives up its time on the CPU for the duration of the sleep. Doing that in a loop isn't particularly harmful, either, as it wakes up enough to perform the trivial loop, then goes right back to sleep. So, your pause method will freeze the UI, but does nothing else bad. If that is acceptable, it's also harmless, but kind of odd, since it does nothing and freezes the UI.

The Wait method is a different matter. The CPU will be utterly pegged during the time that is running, even though nothing is being accomplished. This increases power draw, increases heat, and blocks every other process on the system from running efficiently, since once core of the CPU will be locked up completely. That's the rant that I seem to be known for.

JMC has posted a non-busy wait means of a wait method over in the .NET CodeBank, so if you really must wait in line, that would be the way to do it. It's quite a bit more complex than the simple spin around DoEvents of a busy wait, but it doesn't cause the harm of a busy wait, either. However, the traditional way to perform a wait is with a timer, though that requires a different way to think about the problem. In your code, I'm not sure what the wait accomplishes, since it just seems to be a pause for a certain amount of time followed by a messagebox being shown. You could just as easily have a timer on the form, then in place of the wait you would set the interval of the timer and start it. Then, in the tick event for the timer, you'd stop the timer and show the messagebox. That would accomplish the same thing that you have, though it wouldn't be much.

The whole wait/pause sub is pointless. The line wont execute until the email has been sent. So why wait? I don't need to re write on what's already been said. It's shocking abuse. Maybe i am over reacting :/ Regardless if you want the UI to remain responsive the use the Async method. MSDN should always be your first stop. SmtpClient.SendAsync Method (MailMessage, Object)

Sends the specified e-mail message to an SMTP server for delivery. This method does not block the calling thread and allows the caller to pass an object to the method that is invoked when the operation completes.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

I've had issues with message sending and used SendCompletedCallback as per Ident. The following can not be executed as is, the idea is to show a tad bit more (like getting InnerException) for the call back then in the example with the MSDN docs.
    Code:
    Public Class frmMainForm
        Sub SendMail()
            Using Mail As New MailMessage()
                Mail.From = New MailAddress(txtFromAddress.Text, txtFromDisplayName.Text)
                Mail.To.Add(New MailAddress(txtSendAddress.Text, txtSendToDisplayName.Text))
                Mail.Subject = txtSubject.Text
                Dim plainView As AlternateView = AlternateView.CreateAlternateViewFromString(My.Resources.PlainTextFormatted, Nothing, "text/plain")
                Dim htmlView As AlternateView = AlternateView.CreateAlternateViewFromString(My.Resources.HtmlFormatted, Nothing, "text/html")
                Mail.AlternateViews.Add(plainView)
                Mail.AlternateViews.Add(htmlView)
                Mail.IsBodyHtml = chkUseHtmlBody.Checked

Dim MailClient As New SmtpClient("******************")
                MailClient.EnableSsl = chkEnableSsl.Checked
                If PortNumericUpDown.Value > 0 Then
                    MailClient.Port = CInt(PortNumericUpDown.Value)
                End If
                txtResults.AppendText(String.Format("Connection Name: '{0}'", MailClient.ServicePoint.ConnectionName) & Environment.NewLine)
                MailClient.UseDefaultCredentials = True
                AddHandler MailClient.SendCompleted, AddressOf SendCompletedCallback
                Dim UserToken As String = "******"
                MailClient.Timeout = CInt(TimeOutNumericUpDown.Value)
                MailClient.SendAsync(Mail, UserToken)

End Using
        End Sub
        Private password As String = ""
        Private mailSent As Boolean = False
        Private Sub SendCompletedCallback(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As AsyncCompletedEventArgs)
            Dim token As String = CStr(e.UserState)

txtResults.AppendText(String.Format("Call back at {0} token [{1}]", Now, token) & Environment.NewLine)
            If e.Cancelled Then
                txtResults.AppendText(String.Format("[{0}] [{1}] Send canceled.", Now, token) & Environment.NewLine)
            End If
            If e.Error IsNot Nothing Then
                txtResults.AppendText(String.Format("[{0}] [{1} [{2}]] Send canceled.", Now, token, e.Error.ToString) & Environment.NewLine)
                GetInnerException(e.Error)
                My.Dialogs.ExceptionDialog(e.Error, "Failed see results.", "")
                ActiveControl = txtResults
            Else
                txtResults.AppendText("Message sent at '" & Now.ToString & "'" & Environment.NewLine)
                MessageBox.Show("Message sent!!!")
            End If
            mailSent = True
        End Sub
        Private Function GetInnerException(ByRef sender As Exception) As String
            Dim Data As String = String.Empty
            txtResults.AppendText(Environment.NewLine)
            Do While Not sender Is Nothing
                Data &= sender.ToString()
                txtResults.AppendText(String.Format("[{0}]", sender.Message) & Environment.NewLine)
                sender = sender.InnerException
            Loop
            Return Data
        End Function
        Private Sub cmdSendMessage_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSendMessage.Click
            txtResults.AppendText("Sending mail begin at '" & Now.ToString & "'" & Environment.NewLine)
            SendMail()
            txtResults.AppendText("Done executing commands at '" & Now.ToString & "'" & Environment.NewLine)
        End Sub
    End Class