Thread: [RESOLVED] A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connectio

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connectio

Hi,

When I load the asp.net config tool in vs2010 it loads the page up fine but as soon as I click on security I get the following error:-

Code:
    There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. 

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections
    I have tried a blank project with a login control on but get the same.

Any ideas please?

Jiggy

King of sapila

Re: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connec

Well. Probably something wrong with the web.config setting for your membership database (you do have one overlooking the correct connectionstring? ). Well more than probably. Check your web.config and make sure everything is set up correctly. If you don't know what you must set up and what not then post you web.config (the parts that are needed). Also since i have vs2008 and vs2012 i can't guarantee that there is something more that vs2010 needs but probably not.
    You can find an example of the exact setting you need if you search with my username on a post i made explicitly for this kind of problems, but since it's 2-3 years old i can't really pinpoint it.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Frenzied Member

Re: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connec

Hi Sapator,

Thanks for getting back to me. It was my web.config. All working fine now.

Regards,

Jiggy

King of sapila

Re: [RESOLVED] A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishi

No problem. As I've said, more than probably it was a web.config issue. Glad you sorted it out.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·