Thread: [RESOLVED] XSLT, opinions.

King of sapila

Resolved [RESOLVED] XSLT, opinions.

Has anyone used this approach?Any opinions? Do i just change the markup on an asp.net page to use XSL and i am ready to go?
    Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: XSLT, opinions.

Are you talking about using xslt to layout/style xml or something different?
    The problem with computers is their nature is pure logic. Just once I'd like my computer to do something deluded.

I've used XSLT previously to render XML docs as HTML... it was gruesome, tedious and hard to debug... and if you want to move something around, add a node somewhere, it becomes a pain in the arse to do. As a result, and with PHP & ASP being more powerful... I don't use XSLT for transformations to HTML any more... only time I've used it since is to do some data re-formatting for EDI purposes...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Thanks. I am talking about, exactly what brin said. I am more interested in layout style xml than rendering.

Well I've not done much and anything but the simplest use I found overly complicated (my limitation). For example formatting xml to be used as a bindable datasource wasn't hard, much beyond that and my brain started hurting. I also found making/testing changes time consuming maybe there are better editors than VS for XSLT. There is also something about performance/IO issues in the back of my mind I may be wrong but I think IIS is not that efficient in transforming xml files with xslt compared with .net rendering html but don't quote me on that.
    The problem with computers is their nature is pure logic. Just once I'd like my computer to do something deluded.

King of sapila

Thanks. Well personally from what i read from you , i wouldn't used it but it may be a request on my job, so i have to do a little inside investigation.
    Will see...