Thread: Controls out of line on different PC's

Frenzied Member

Controls out of line on different PC's

Hi,

I have a webpage with labels on the left and textboxes to the right. In my css I have set each textboxes margin-left so they all line up. Do I need to set the font / size in the body of the webpage? Also how do I find out what font / size Im using on my development PC? I have spent hours getting all my webpages lined up.

Many Thanks

Jiggy

Re: Controls out of line on different PC's

Show us your CSS and HTML.

Different browsers render CSS and HTML differently, the most obvious offender being Internet Explorer. Making sure you have the appropriate doctype specified at the top of the page will help minimize the issues, though.

Frenzied Member

Hi ,

This is the code for my doc type in my master page:-

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

This is the css:-

body
    {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-weight:normal !important;
    font-family: Times New Roman;
    }

And this is some of my html:-

<wijmo:C1Accordion ID="MainAccordion" runat="server" Height="590px" Width="1098px" style="top: 0px; left: 0px">
    <Panes>
    <wijmo:C1AccordionPane ID="C1Accordion1Pane1" runat="server" ButtonName="Search">
    <Header>Search</Header>
    <Content>
    <wijmo:C1GridView ID="Sites" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
    AllowSorting="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False" PageSize="20"
    ShowFilter="True" AutoGenerateSelectButton="True" ClientSelectionMode="None">
    <Columns>
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_REFNO" HeaderText="ST_REFNO" Visible="False">
    </wijmo:C1BoundField>
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_SITENAME" HeaderText="Site Name">
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_ADDRESS1" HeaderText="Address 1">
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_ADDRESS2" HeaderText="Address 2">
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_ADDRESS3" HeaderText="Address 3">
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_ADDRESS4" HeaderText="Address 4">
    <wijmo:C1BoundField DataField="ST_POSTCODE" HeaderText="Post Code">
    </Columns>
    <EmptyDataRowStyle Height="22px" />
    </wijmo:C1GridView>
    </Content>
    </wijmo:C1AccordionPane>
    <wijmo:C1AccordionPane ID="C1Accordion1Pane2" runat="server" ButtonName="Site Details">
    <Header>Site Details</Header>
    <Content>
    <asp:Label ID="lblGroup" runat="server" cssclass="lblGroup" Text="Company Group"></asp:Label>
    <aspropDownList ID="cboGroups" runat="server" CssClass="cboGroups">
    </aspropDownList>
    <br />
    <asp:Label ID="lblNavCode" runat="server" cssclass="lblNavCode" Text="Navision Code"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtNavCode" runat="server" CssClass="txtNavCode"></asp:TextBox>
    <br />
    <asp:Label ID="lblSiteName" runat="server" cssclass="lblSiteName" Text="Site Name"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtSiteName" runat="server" CssClass="txtSiteName"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="lblDatabaseName" runat="server" cssclass="lblDatabaseName" Text="Database Name"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtDatabaseName" runat="server" CssClass="txtDatabaseName"></asp:TextBox>
    <br />
    <asp:Label ID="lblAddress" runat="server" cssclass="lblAddress" Text="Address"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtAddress1" runat="server" CssClass="txtAddress1"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="lblDailyCleans" runat="server" cssclass="lblDailyCleans" Text="Run Daily Cleans"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkDailyCleans" runat="server" cssclass="chkDailyCleans"/>
    <br />
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtAddress2" runat="server" CssClass="txtAddress2"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="lblNonDailyCleans" runat="server" cssclass="lblNonDailyCleans" Text="Run Non Daily Cleans"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkNonDailyCleans" runat="server" cssclass="chkNonDailyCleans"/>
    <br />
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtAddress3" runat="server" CssClass="txtAddress2"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="LblTitle_1" runat="server" cssclass="lblTitle_1" Text="Days To Run Archive Routine"></asp:Label>
    <br />
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtAddress4" runat="server" CssClass="txtAddress2"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="lblMonday" runat="server" cssclass="lblMonday" Text="Monday"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkMonday" runat="server" cssclass="chkMonday"/>
    <asp:Label ID="lblTuesday" runat="server" cssclass="lblTuesday" Text="Tuesday"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkTuesday" runat="server" cssclass="chkTuesday"/>
    <asp:Label ID="lblWednesday" runat="server" cssclass="lblWednesday" Text="Wednesday"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkWednesday" runat="server" cssclass="chkWednesday"/>
    <asp:Label ID="lblThursday" runat="server" cssclass="lblThursday" Text="Thursday"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkThursday" runat="server" cssclass="chkThursday"/>
    <asp:Label ID="lblFriday" runat="server" cssclass="lblFriday" Text="Friday"></asp:Label>
    <asp:CheckBox ID="chkFriday" runat="server" cssclass="chkFriday"/>
    <br />
    <asp:Label ID="lblPostcode" runat="server" cssclass="lblPostcode" Text="Post Code"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtPostcode" runat="server" CssClass="txtPostcode"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:Label ID="lblSaturday" runat="server" cssclass="lblSaturday" Text="Saturday"></asp:Label>

Hope this helps, if I put font-family in one of my label classes it works but I don't really want to have to do this. The big problem is I have margin-left in all my textboxes so they all line up but on some PC's I think it's using a different font / size and it loses the alignment. I may have to put them in a table but I thought tables were a no no now.

Thanks for getting back to me,

Jiggy

Frenzied Member

I've just noticed it's only doing it one content page. The others are being set.

Are you wanting the layout/alignment to appear like 2 columns labels in one and controls in 2nd? css classing every lbl and control is cumbersom I'd suggest a different approach.
    The problem with computers is their nature is pure logic. Just once I'd like my computer to do something deluded.

Frenzied Member

That's correct Brin351. Do you have any other suggestions?

Frenzied Member

Here is a screen shot:-
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

King of sapila

I've only managed to do something identical with a table - tables as, when zoomng the browser it get's messed up by using div's. As i can see, you can use 2 br's in every tr or even 4 br's in every tr . If you use 4 br's make sure to use a smaller br width for the labels so your textbox will align close to the labels.
    I would love to see another way as css is not my best field and i had a heck of a time to align correctly.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

You can certainly use tables as a fail safe - if you want to use css I posted some markup in a previous thread here

From that example I'd drop the <fieldset> and use 2 divs 1 for each set/column of label-control

Code:
    css

.formDiv{float:left; width:300px;} //assuming 2 x 300 wide columns fits
    .formDiv p {margin: 2px 12px 10px 10px;}
    .formDiv formLbl{width:120px;display: block;float:left;}

html

<div class=formDiv>
    <p> 
    <asp:Label ID="lblNavCode" runat="server" cssclass="formLbl" Text="Navision Code"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtNavCode" runat="server" CssClass="formCtr"></asp:TextBox>
    </p>
    etc.....
    </div>
    <div class=formDiv>
    <p> 
    <asp:Label ID="lblSiteName" runat="server" cssclass="formLbl" Text="Site Name"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="txtSiteName" runat="server" CssClass="formCtr"></asp:TextBox>
    </p>
    etc.............
    </div>
    The problem with computers is their nature is pure logic. Just once I'd like my computer to do something deluded.