dcsimg

Thread: Timer Test

Timer Test

I've programmed in Basic in the past but I'm brand new to VB. I'm trying to understand the timer function. I wrote a short program to display a count from 1 to 20 in one second intervals or so I thought.
    Here's the code:

Dim Counter As Integer
    Counter = 1
    Do
    Timer1.Enabled = False
    TextBox1.Text = Counter
    Timer1.Enabled = True
    Counter = Counter + 1
    Loop While Counter < 21
    End

I put this under a Button_Click event with the Timer_Tick listed first. The Timer_Tick has no code associated with it and the interval is 1000. When I run the progam, it stops in less than a second and ends and the form goes back to design mode.
    I've also tried For-Next and If statements to increment the counter but nothing works. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks for the help.

Re: Timer Test

You aren't. If timer don't have any code so what are you testing?
    Timer works this way:
    If timer is enabled, each milisecond (interval on the properties), run the code that is on timer function

Code:
    Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
         '*your code here will run here
    End Sub
    You don't need to make that while, i don't know why you are trying to do.

Just make this simple program:

Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Dim counter As Integer = 0
        Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Timer1.Enabled = True
        End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            counter += 1
            TextBox1.Text = counter
        End Sub
    End Class

Thanks for the help. Sorry I didn't fully explain my problem. What I'm trying to do is start a counter with a button click that displays 1 to 20 in one second intervals and then stops. The Loop While statement stops the counter at twenty. I haven't run your example program but it has no button click event or test to stop counting. I'll play with it to see if I can get it to work the way I want.

Also, my program is an example of the way "Basic" would do it. The += operator is much simpler.
    Thanks again.

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            counter = 0
            Timer1.Interval = 1000 'one sec. in ms.
            Timer1.Enabled = True
        End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            If counter >= 20 Then
                Timer1.Enabled = False
            Else
                counter += 1
                TextBox1.Text = counter.ToString
            End If
        End Sub
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

but thats pointless xD
    You can do that without timers etc.

edit: OH WAIT I GOT IT XD, see the dbasnett code
    Last edited by b mitsai; Jul 5th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.

It should be pointed out that this method should not be used as timing. In other words the actual elapsed time will not be 20 seconds when the counter reaches 20. If we add a stopwatch to the code we can see that.

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            counter = 0
            Timer1.Interval = 1000 'one sec. in ms.
            stpw.Reset()
            stpw.Start()
            Timer1.Enabled = True
        End Sub

Dim stpw As New Stopwatch

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            If counter >= 20 Then
                stpw.Stop()
                Debug.WriteLine(stpw.Elapsed)
                Timer1.Enabled = False
            Else
                counter += 1
                TextBox1.Text = counter.ToString
            End If
        End Sub
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Thanks much dbasnett. More info for my programming journey. I was wondering if "counter" needed to be a string or an integer to display. I ran the program both ways and it did fine. Not sure why. Also, placing the Dim statement between Subs evidently works globally for both. I also found out that the listing sequence of events is important.
    My reason for learning VB is to write a program to monitor my AC usage via an Arduino. I want to feed the data to Excel and graph it. This timer exercise is part of that. I also need to explore the TimeString function. I have more learning ahead and a long way to go.
    Thanks again.