Thread: need advice on how to add, edit, delete questions in a quiz application

Addicted Member

need advice on how to add, edit, delete questions in a quiz application

i am building a quiz application using vb.net and ms access. i want the user to be able to to add , delete and edit the questions which are stored in a table in the ms access file. should i use datagrid? or are there other better ways i am not aware of?

( in the ms acces file , each row stores a question and the various option, its primary key is an auto generated number)

Re: need advice on how to add, edit, delete questions in a quiz application

I assume you mean DataGridView, in which case that's a pretty good option, but uninspired. The advantage of a DGV would be that the person doing the editing would be able to see everything in front of them at one time. That's useful if they intend to edit a whole series of questions in one sitting. It seems more likely that the user would want to be able to edit just one question at a time, though, in which case I think that other designs might be more appealing.

The first thing that comes to mind is to have all the questions in a listbox. This might list the actual question, or some reference to the question if there even is such a thing. Listing the whole question migth be overly wordy, but that could be the only choice if that's the only reasonable way for the user to know which question is which. Once a question is selected, you could show the answers for that question and allow the user to do whatever they want with them. exactly how the answers are shown would depend on what they were.

Another option would be to show the quiz. For example, you could make a bunch of slots and use drag and drop to drag questions from some list into those slots, thereby allowing the user to build the quiz in whichever order they want. That would still require some way to see the questions, which might be done with a listbox or listview. At any time, you could make it possible to see the answers, possibly in a tooltip, or possibly in a differerent form or in a space on the main form. To keep with the theme, you'd have to be able to rearrange the answers via drag and drop, as well.

So there are a couple suggestions. A treeview approach could be a third alternative.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing