Thread: Visual Studio 2013 Thoughts

Visual Studio 2013 Thoughts

Since the preview release of Visual Studio 2013 is out I thought I'd create a thread for impressions both good and bad.

Download link

CodeLens

Each method has a hyperlink superimposed above it that lists all of the references to the method, unit tests and the results, who last modified it and what changes were made.

In the couple of hours I've been playing around with Visual Studio I've noticed this being a feature that I've used A LOT. It is much handier to have a line on screen telling me that a method is referenced in 3 places than having to hit Shift + F12 and look in the results window.

-----

Peek Definition

Another feature that I've found useful already. It basically puts a preview window inline right under the code you're working on with the method you're interested in. Right next to Go To Definition in the right click menu or Alt + F12.

-----

User Profile

Visual Studio 2013 now has you log in with your microsoft account. It's looking like this will be to allow you to have a roaming profile so you only have to set up your environment once. I haven't tested this out yet as I've only installed it on my work system. Not sure what the impact will be since I run pretty close to the default install.
    This pattern in common to all great programmers I know: they're not experts in something as much as experts in becoming experts in something.

The best programming advice I ever got was to spend my entire career becoming educable. And I suggest you do the same.

Re: Visual Studio 2013 Thoughts

If MS want to make developers happy they should fire all those responsible for inflicting the Office-style "user experience" garbage on developers. Bland colors that cannot be easily changed, or stark minimalism that satisfies only some fine arts graduate who couldn't program a DVR. Ridiculous UI features. Oh and the obscenity that is WPF.

This makes me wonder what problems are there with VS2012 that MS did not tell us about. If it gets to the point that they release a new version of VS every year then what is the point in buying it as you'll only have it for 12 months then a new version will released with better tools, etc. On the other hand I hope this is not a Windows98/Windows 98 SE type of thing.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I'm a bit nervous about the speed of this release, too. I'm also a bit nervous about requiring a log in. If this is the first step towards an 'always on-line' model, that would be pretty bad for me. I'm trying to go in the opposite direction: Code from locations that you can barely reach with a sat phone.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    This makes me wonder what problems are there with VS2012 that MS did not tell us about. If it gets to the point that they release a new version of VS every year then what is the point in buying it as you'll only have it for 12 months then a new version will released with better tools, etc. On the other hand I hope this is not a Windows98/Windows 98 SE type of thing.
    Er, isn't this the anounced plan? Same as cranking out a new Windows every year or so?

Every two to three years seems about right. The only one year separation was between 2002 and 2003, and that was because 2003 fixed LOTS of things in 2002.

King of sapila

What wrong with you people blaming VS2012. I mean it has all these beautiful colors it has so many menus and is very fast. It's the return of W3.1 and psychedelia form Microsoft! Yooohooo!
    P.S. And of course a log on system to to work a product is also very welcome. So any good PHP and Java forums?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I was kind of upset to see a VS 2013. I'm still using VS 2010 as my computer doesn't support 2012, will it get to the point where my Windows 7 computer won't be supported by VS 201x? I have to agree with Shaggy, is there some huge bug in 2012 that we don't know about? The quick release raises a lot of questions, that I think are only being asked on 3rd party forums like VBForums, D.I.C, etc.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Name:  W8.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  43.3 KB
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

PowerPoster

Part of the reason for a new VS is the new Windows (8.1) coming out in late 2013. The preview release is already out:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview

Sung to the tune of The Byrds' Turn! Turn! Turn!

♪ Dot Net is change (churn, churn, churn)
    ♪ Whether a reason (churn, churn, churn)
    ♪ Something you just have to cope with, under Anders

♪ A new color scheme, rearranged deck chairs
    ♪ Old things that break, new things that are flakes
    ♪ A time to cry, a time to deal
    ♪ A time to laugh, a time to weep

Well done.

Also, it appears that there is a lolcat for every occasion.

PowerPoster

Well if VS versions come out at the one-a-year clip from now on, they'll be like Pokemon: gotta buy 'em all!

I hate the fact that intellisense never worked as well as it does in VB6. I wish they would fix more bugs and get the basics right before trying to be all fancy with new features (that probably have some issues with them too lol).
    MS just released VS 2012 Update 3 and soon we will have a RTM of VS 2013, something definitely is up in Redmond.

VS seems to be moving towards SaaS as is alot of software now-a-days. Oh well what can you do...
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

What makes you say that intellisense doesn't work as well? It's smooth as silk for me. Mind you, I haven't been coding as much as I used to so maybe I'm just not hitting the hiccups.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

We tend to skip versions i.e. VS2008, skip VS2010, adapt VS2012. So far other than the dull IDE schema I have not had any problem with VS2012. We have no plans for using VS2013 but will tinker with it outside of mainstream projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm a bit nervous about the speed of this release, too. I'm also a bit nervous about requiring a log in. If this is the first step towards an 'always on-line' model, that would be pretty bad for me. I'm trying to go in the opposite direction: Code from locations that you can barely reach with a sat phone.
    I agree with this, don't care for always online model.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    We tend to skip versions i.e. VS2008, skip VS2010, adapt VS2012. So far other than the dull IDE schema I have not had any problem with VS2012. We have no plans for using VS2013 but will tinker with it outside of mainstream projects.
    When I started programming VS2010 was out and available for Express, so that's what I used and still use today. I personally love it and can't imagine a better IDE.

Edit -

I forgot that a friend gave me 2005 professional about 1/2 a year ago, but by then I've grown accustom to Linq. As far as the IDE in 2005, it seemed a little to 'buggy' for me in comparison to 2010. Like intellesence didn't pick up variables that where declared.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    When I started programming VS2010 was out and available for Express, so that's what I used and still use today. I personally love it and can't imagine a better IDE.

Edit -

I forgot that a friend gave me 2005 professional about 1/2 a year ago, but by then I've grown accustom to Linq. As far as the IDE in 2005, it seemed a little to 'buggy' for me in comparison to 2010. Like intellesence didn't pick up variables that where declared.
    No disagreement on VS2010 IDE, although we did not use it I used it personally. There are a few new editions in VS2012 I like which all have to do with writing WCF services, other than that I could easily work with VS2010 no problem. Never had any issues with VS2005 until VS2008 arrived with many welcome additions to the IDE and Framework.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    What makes you say that intellisense doesn't work as well? It's smooth as silk for me. Mind you, I haven't been coding as much as I used to so maybe I'm just not hitting the hiccups.
    Since the first version of .NET when you edit a object's property that you already typed to change the property (for ex), it would never replace the old with the new properly and you would get a concatenation of the two.

button.Text

Then select the period and type a new period, select your new property from intellisense, .Name for ex, and then you end up with button.NameText

Oh and I have been hitting issues with VS 2012 Premium every so often. Need to close it down and reopen to fix issues where I think VS is not clearing its cache and the bug persists even with the code change. Clear and build still error unless I restart vs and then its fine
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Ah Rob, I get what you're saying. That is a little pet-peeve I have with intellisense. Generally what I do is instead of just deleting the period, I delete the whole property and retype the new property. Which isn't bad in most cases, just an annoyance.

Yea but in VB6 and earlier it works flawlessly. Why cant they get it right as they did it before. Its been 15+ years! lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

button.Text

Then select the period and type a new period, select your new property from intellisense, .Name for ex, and then you end up with button.NameText
    Well, you're not doing it right! Why would you select the period if you're changing the property? It's madness! Madness, I tell you!

Just position the caret somewhere within the property name, delete a letter to show that you want to change, select a new property from the pop-up!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Since the first version of .NET when you edit a object's property
    I've never noticed that. Haven't got Visual Studio here but I'll give it a try tonight.

Would this be a good excuse to resurrect debates about whether VB6 is better than .Net? Nah, probably not.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

LOL well to select the period and get the popup of intellisense so you can select which menu item you want is a viable method.
    Just goes to show you that .NET has bugs that never get fixes in over 10+ years

Long live VB6!!! lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I use intellisense the same in .Net as I did in vb6 & as I still do in vba, takes too much precision to select just the period when you can backspace one of the letters of the property and start typing the new property and it fills in the rest.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I use intellisense the same in .Net as I did in vb6 & as I still do in vba, takes too much precision to select just the period when you can backspace one of the letters of the property and start typing the new property and it fills in the rest.
    That's generally what I do too :]

In VS 2010, I found a bug, mainly in C++ cause I didnt try it in any other language, but the file path must be under...I beleve it was 123 characters or you'll get an error. I don't understand why they cant allow 256 at least, but if you are a major organizer like I am, this is BS. At least in VB6 I can bury the projects as deep as I want in my harddrive with no limit. Never had a problem yet. Long live VB6! .......even though I'm big on C++ now.