Thread: Vertically up Headers

Addicted Member

Vertically up Headers

Hi guys, I am trying to design a form with headers that read vertically up. This is to save space so I can fit many columns. I tried datagrid but am not sure how to achieve this. I use WPF and Vb.net. Please suggest any other better solution eg importing an excel or doc table, if that is possible. I have never tried that before. I am a little stuck. Thanks if you can help.

Re: Vertically up Headers

I've been playing around with this for a while with some fairly unspectacular results so the best I can offer at the moment is vertically down headers. Consider this a work in progress!

vb.net Code:
    1. ' in the form which has your dgv
    3.     Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    4.         Column1.HeaderCell = New VerticalColumnHeader
    5. ' etc.
    6.     End Sub
    8. ' and the class
    10. Class VerticalColumnHeader
    11.     Inherits DataGridViewColumnHeaderCell
    13.     Protected Overrides Sub Paint(graphics As System.Drawing.Graphics, clipBounds As System.Drawing.Rectangle, cellBounds As System.Drawing.Rectangle, rowIndex As Integer, dataGridViewElementState As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewElementStates, value As Object, formattedValue As Object, errorText As String, cellStyle As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellStyle, advancedBorderStyle As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewAdvancedBorderStyle, paintParts As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewPaintParts)
    14.         MyBase.Paint(graphics, clipBounds, cellBounds, rowIndex, dataGridViewElementState, "", "", errorText, cellStyle, advancedBorderStyle, paintParts)
    15.         Dim f As New StringFormat
    16.         f.FormatFlags = StringFormatFlags.DirectionVertical
    17.         graphics.SmoothingMode = Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.HighQuality
    18.         graphics.DrawString(value.ToString, cellStyle.Font, New Drawing.SolidBrush(cellStyle.ForeColor), 50, 20, f)
    19.     End Sub
    21. End Class

EDIT: Oh, nearly forgot, in the DGV you'll need to set ColumnHeadersHeightSizeMode to EnableResizing so that you can increase ColumnHeadersHeight to a suitable size.
    Last edited by dunfiddlin; Jun 25th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

As you're overriding the Paint event it's just 1 small step to rotate the text.
    Have a look at the Graphics.RotateTransform method

Here's an example of rotating text:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/VerticalLabel-660dbce3

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    As you're overriding the Paint event it's just 1 small step to rotate the text.
    Have a look at the Graphics.RotateTransform method

Ta muchly but I did try that (and will do so again) but there appear to be complications associated with this cell that I didn't get time to look into (it's 3 in the morning ... why am I even still up?)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Ta muchly but I did try that (and will do so again) but there appear to be complications associated with this cell that I didn't get time to look into (it's 3 in the morning ... why am I even still up?)
    Since I am using WPF I will try the RotateTransform approach. It looks more relevant and to the point. Anyway, thanks for all your replies guys, appreciated.

I really got to learn not to to try topology at 2.00 in the morning! My math was the problem (in this case not remembering which way was up after a rotation!) So here is the working version.

vb.net Code:
    1. Class VerticalColumnHeader
    2.     Inherits DataGridViewColumnHeaderCell
    4.     Protected Overrides Sub Paint(graphics As System.Drawing.Graphics, clipBounds As System.Drawing.Rectangle, cellBounds As System.Drawing.Rectangle, rowIndex As Integer, dataGridViewElementState As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewElementStates, value As Object, formattedValue As Object, errorText As String, cellStyle As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellStyle, advancedBorderStyle As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewAdvancedBorderStyle, paintParts As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewPaintParts)
    5.         MyBase.Paint(graphics, clipBounds, cellBounds, rowIndex, dataGridViewElementState, "", "", errorText, cellStyle, advancedBorderStyle, paintParts)
    6.         graphics.SmoothingMode = Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.HighQuality
    7.         graphics.TranslateTransform(0, cellBounds.Height)
    8.         graphics.RotateTransform(270)
    9.         graphics.DrawString(value.ToString, cellStyle.Font, New Drawing.SolidBrush(cellStyle.ForeColor), 20, 50)
    10.         graphics.ResetTransform()
    11.     End Sub
    13. End Class

Since this is a WPF question, I am going to move this thread to the WPF Forum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Gary