Thread: [RESOLVED] Method ~ of object ~ failed in VB6

Resolved [RESOLVED] Method ~ of object ~ failed in VB6

I am getting the message "Method ~ of object ~ failed" when i am trying to add Resource editor in my VB application.

I have an existing VB application now I am trying to add Resource file to it as I have to attach a manifest for MS Vista.

While doing so when I am trying to add through Add in->Add In Manager->checking the checkbox loaded/unloaded for vb6 resource editor as soon as I press OK I am getting the above mentioned error.

Please help !!!

Thanx In Advance

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Method ~ of object ~ failed in VB6

Is Vista loaded on the machine that this is happening on?

Run your vb6 instance as Administrator
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I Have the same problem here and I tried to run my VB as Administrator but got the same error.

Did you guys install SP-6 for VS/VB?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I am having Visual Studoio SP5 and.
    But I got the solution for my problem and able to embedded a manifest file to my exe

"http://www.***********/vistaadmin.html"

Fabiovaz you can also search for some third party resource editor and can create and embedded your resource file using that tool.

Regards,
    Pragya

You dont need to use a third party resource editor. Just use the one with VB 6. Specify the proper Id and your set.

I dont see how this relates to the manifest file because if you were running SP-6 it may be fixed. I installed VS 6 with SP-6 and did not have this issue.

Marking your entire app to run as administrator is not a good idea as its a security concern and Randem did not write that xml file, Microsoft did.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hi rob,

My application required admin privlidges thats why I added a manifest for admin privlidges .Still i am getting that error in VB6 IDE for resource editor ... But I had a deadline so I have used a third party Res Editor and thats why I suggested to use a 3rd party res editor to get things faster ... I didnt mean to provide admin privlidges (its just an example) ... it was just a suggestion no other intensions.

Pragya

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

So, did this third party Resource Editor solve your problem?

You elevated the permissions required for your aplication, not of the VB 6 IDE. You can add a manifest file for VB6.EXE too as I use.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Actually my requirement was to embedded an manifest to my vb6 exe so I used that 3rd party resource editor to embedded the manifest because my VB6 editor was giving problem.

Yes HACK that third party resource solved my problem
    Thanks to Rob too for nice suggestions.

Thanks
    Pragya

We are gld to have helped.

If you add the manifest file to the vb ide you can startup your ide and use its resource editor with no issues.

Ps, dont forget to Resolve your thread from the Thread tools menu since its now solved.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Ya Sure !!!
    Thanks

Re: [RESOLVED] Method ~ of object ~ failed in VB6

Quote Originally Posted by pragya View Post
    I am getting the message "Method ~ of object ~ failed" when i am trying to add Resource editor in my VB application.

I have an existing VB application now I am trying to add Resource file to it as I have to attach a manifest for MS Vista.

While doing so when I am trying to add through Add in->Add In Manager->checking the checkbox loaded/unloaded for vb6 resource editor as soon as I press OK I am getting the above mentioned error.

Please help !!!

Thanx In Advance
    You are Missing the Microsoft Button Editor DLL Thats why it shows that message and that the icon in the toolbar is invisible, It also affects the Menu Creator add-in with the Menu Extended add-in.
    Link: http://www.dllme.com/dll/files/commtb32_dll.html

EDIT: Put dll in same Directory as VB6.exe.
    Don't forget to register it afterwards.
    Last edited by PSXGamerPro1; Jul 4th, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

Re: [RESOLVED] Method ~ of object ~ failed in VB6

Quote Originally Posted by PSXGamerPro1 View Post
    You are Missing the Microsoft Button Editor DLL Thats why it shows that message and that the icon in the toolbar is invisible, It also affects the Menu Creator add-in with the Menu Extended add-in.
    Link: http://www.dllme.com/dll/files/commtb32_dll.html

EDIT: Put dll in same Directory as VB6.exe.
    Don't forget to register it afterwards.

Thanks this fixed it for me.