Thread: Face detection algorithms

Lively Member

Face detection algorithms

Hello folks

It's been long time since I posted last xD But now I've a new matter. Talking with my dad yesterday we were curious to know how softwares recognize people faces from photos and if it's possible to do this work using VB language.

Has anyone a sample to show to me? Or can you give me a link to a free EXE that does it?

Thanks to everybody,

Bye

Re: Face detection algorithms

Given the type of data structures needed to support such algorithms, I'd never even think about doing that in VB6.

Frenzied Member

JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

Fenrir

While VB6 may not be the "best" language to use, I'd say that it should
    be doable using it. However, the "brains" will undoubtedly be quite complex
    to develop.

For starters, it'll probably be useful to work with a photo that is a BMP .. so
    that you don't lose any data owing to compression. Thus, you'll need to know
    how to read the file .. ie, the file header and the data.

Then you'll need to build the "brains" ie, orient yourself. I guess that the eyes
    might be the first things to try to detect.

Spoo

Lively Member

Thank you all, guys I'll see your links as soon as possible.

However, what language should I use? C/C++ ?

Anyone knows a software of face detection (better if free) ? I don't want to rewrite programs that already exist

It's been a long while since I dealt with this stuff, but face recognition is just a specific form of pattern recognition, or pattern rec. There are many algorithms that can perform pattern rec tasks, but almost all of them use data structures that are not found natively in VB6. For this reason, I would suggest using either .NET or Java, since both come with very large libraries of tools and data structures.

If you just want to use an existing piece of software, your ability to google for it is as good as mine. However, if you plan on trying to roll your own, just understand that this is a major undertaking. Face recognition is a hard problem that many a graduate student has spent years working on. So I just want to caution you against thinking this is just something anyone can code up in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your search, though.