Thread: Another VBForums Reputations Saver

Another VBForums Reputations Saver

This is my first release so please be gentle but would appreciate some feed back.

After seeing previous versions use the WebBrowser control i decided to modifie my Http Class. I am no expert when dealing with the HttpWebRequest Class but spent quite a lot of time over the last two years trying to become more accustom using it. The UI is not much to look at currently and lack's many options. Will be working on this next. Tested on XP only

Logs are exported to

Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\My Documents\Simple Coders\VBforums Reputation\1.0.0.0\Reputations
    Example format:

vb Code:
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    2. <AllMembers>
    3.   <MemberInformation Member=".paul." ThreadTitle="Wrapping Numeric Characters with HTML tags" TimeDate="May 22nd, 2013 12:34 PM" Url="showthread.php?722467-Wrapping-Numeric-Characters-with-HTML-tags&amp;p=4420165">good use of LINQ + regex.</MemberInformation>
    4.   <MemberInformation Member="Niya" ThreadTitle="Is there any way to make this smaller or simpler?" TimeDate="May 17th, 2013 08:56 AM" Url="showthread.php?721893-Is-there-any-way-to-make-this-smaller-or-simpler&amp;p=4416707">Nice!! &lt;img src="images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" class="inlineimg" /&gt;</MemberInformation>
    5. </AllMembers>

For obvious reason's i have not done any real bug testing. But thank you Niya for pointing on an issue with Logging out on invalid credentials. Hopefully fixed now. So please point out any Bugs for future releases.

All EXE removed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Another VBForums Reputations Saver

Quote Originally Posted by ident View Post
    ....Tested on XP only....
    I ran it on Win7 and it worked fine.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I ran it on Win7 and it worked fine.
    Thanks Niya :-D

Lively Member

I ran it on Windows 8 Platform, and it worked.

Always good to know. This wed nevrt meant to be used as software. Just releasing the post data class. Currently slowly turning it into a real application

Hey Ident,
    Fizzymentos from that place i visit less often every week....

Just checked the source out and its great. Thanks for the share, the community will defiantly benefit form a great example :P

Ty.

So please point out any Bugs for future releases.
    One thing I've been meaning to ask for a long time is why do words like "Españolita" return/get saved as "Espa�olita".

Just wondering if there was an easy fix for that? Thanks!
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 08:36 AM.

Best of my understanding, its some funky Unicode conversion that causes that anomaly.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I ran it on windows 8.1 with visual stuido 2013 and its not working keep getting NullReferenceException
    Last edited by evo74; Mar 25th, 2014 at 01:37 PM.

Il look into the text, i would guess as niya did to be the same. evo it helps if you actually tell me what line and what you are doing.

Il look into the text, i would guess as niya did to be the same.
    I know nothing about this stuff.

In an app where I use WebClient to download a page I was getting back some weird text for a couple chars, firefox says its using "UTF-8", found suggestion to set encoding to UTF8, and that fixed it!

While viewing this site FF shows char encoding = windows-1252.
    So my only guess is to change your code to include the Encoding setting as well to match this site,, something like...

Code:
    Using resposeStream As Stream = controlResponse.GetResponseStream()
        Using resposeReader As New StreamReader(resposeStream, System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding(1252))
            controlSource = resposeReader.ReadToEnd()
        End Using
    End Using
    But I have no idea how to even test this, my rep saver seems to still work, all normal text is still normal, but for example "Españolita" isn't on my reps page here any more so not sure its going to fix that or not

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Mar 25th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

I'm not going to sit here and say i know the answer. How ever iv seen windows-1252 as reported "latin". and latin has some bad results. Im going to say is where do you stop or care. Browsers have to. I'l finish off this bit i suggested for you to see if you like then il look at the unicodes.

I'm not going to sit here and say i know the answer.
    Never mind then, my fix seems to have worked, I just gave "Españolita" some rep and updated my app and the name is now encoding correctly.

EDIT I ended up setting encoding to "ISO-8859-1" as that is what the html here shows and my rep saver still working.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

have you considered making it a auto?

How i sad earlier dosen't work in windows 8.1/visual studio 13, image in attachment
    error image.zip
    Last edited by evo74; Apr 20th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Quote Originally Posted by evo74 View Post
    How i sad earlier dosen't work in windows 8.1/visual studio 13
    Attachment 113053
    Picture is way to small to see any thing.

Picture is way to small to see any thing.
    I added the image in a zip file so it can be full quality

How i sad earlier dosen't work in windows 8.1/visual studio 13, image in attachment
    error image.zip
    Didn't you also have some problem opening one of my projects in Win8.1 ?

my w8 laptop will be here tuesday so can test

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Didn't you also have some problem opening one of my projects in Win8.1 ?
    Yea I did but I don't remember which one

Have you even read the exception details? Debugging is a major par of programming. A Null reference is stupidly easy to track down.

Have you even read the exception details? Debugging is a major par of programming. A Null reference is stupidly easy to track down.
    Fair response. However, given that it ran on my PC and on N1nj4styl3's PC without throwing an exception yet throws the exception on his, I think it warrants some attention by you. Of course, it would be infinitely more helpful if he investigated it himself and provided more information so you can fix this potential incompatibility. Remember, when you post code for someone to examine or use, you're doing so with the implicit admission of its correctness.

Mate on xp here

Mate on xp here
    I bet you still use dial up too

Well it dosen't really matter if it works, I only want to point out that if there is a time for an os upgrade is now

Well it dosen't really matter if it works, I only want to point out that if there is a time for an os upgrade is now
    Iv not just upgraded my machine, iv gone to school on it.

i7-4500U Processor( 1.80GHz 1600MHz 4MB) / 8.0GB

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops...ga/yoga-2-pro/

And you put XP on that ? Oh the injustice!!

Well I don't like to brag but your i7 has a benchmark of 3884 but my i5-2500 (3.3 Ghz up to 3.9 Ghz 6MB) has 6218 and 8 GB of ram is not that impresive, so to put in perspective there are cpus that have up to 13000 benchmark and you can put up to 64 Gb of ram on a user's pc, and you know I don't want to sound like an idiot but XP??? Cmon!!!
    PS: Most sites have different benchmarks so here is the site I recommend:
    i7-http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...0U+%40+1.80GHz
    i5-http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+3.30GHz
    PPS: If you need help getting any version of windows just pm me

EDIT: If you paid $1600 on the lenovo laptop you could of just paid $600 more and got a razer blade: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade, that has nvidia gtx 870m the best gpu money can buy a much better cpu, a bigger display with the same resolution and its better looking
    Last edited by evo74; Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:43 AM.

It's impressive when you got a wife and young kid and mortgage. I'm over the moon with her and "not so impressive self" worked like a dream 8.1.

works, xp,w7, 8.1

If you want to discuss benchmarking can you please start your own thread.