Thread: Method '~' of object '~' failed

Hyperactive Member

Method '~' of object '~' failed

I have a vb6 application which does work from a long time. But in some customer PC(windows xp) while running my application error comes like "Method '~' of object '~' failed". This error comes in all procedures where i use filesystem object. So i think it is due to SCRRUN.DLL. When i check the customer PC the scrrun.dll version was 5.7.0.18066.
    But i was using 5.7.0.16599. So i was thinking like it may be due to version difference(but pc with error has higher version). But while running same application as run as administrator it worked without any error!! .Also the user was already administrator. (so it may not be due to version difference) .Also my application works in all Windows OS in both admin and user account. So now i am confused what may be the reason causing this error in some PC's.

Re: Method '~' of object '~' failed

When in doubt, reboot the machine. If that doesn't work, re-register the DLL.

PowerPoster

Really need more information. Is this error reproducible by following certain steps? Sounds like it might be a permissions thing.

PowerPoster

I'd guess somebody had used a cruddy "No-no Setup" installer for another application and they foolishly tried to deploy SCRRUN.DLL which they shouldn't have anyway.

This installer probably put a copy somewhere funky like the app's Program Files folder, registered it there by brute force. This may or may not have worked since these libraries are not meant for naked deployment like this.

Somewhere along the line this funky copy got deleted (poorly written uninstall?) and now the registry entries are orphaned pointing to nothing.

I've had to help a lot of users fix their machines after some "No-no" setup had been used to install then uninstall somebody else's program. The only way to fix it for something like SCRRUN.DLL is to get a clean copy off another machine with the same Windows version installed, copy that where it belongs, then reregister it by hand.

Luckily Vista and later are better about protecting themselves from such shenanigans attempted against system DLLs than ancient versions of Windows were.