Thread: How to make installer in VB6

How to make installer in VB6

hi i know how to make installer in vb6 by using the Package and Deployment Wizard and also im using Innu Setup 5, my problem is when the installer is finished and try to run the set up i want my files like put in a folder for example the sound/music in sound folder, pic in pic folder, but what happen is it is not creating folder isntead install files directly to folder pls see the picture for what i mean

during installation of the program it should create a directory of music and the file wav must be saved there and same for the picture...

how can i do it? any tutorial will help.. thank you...

Re: How to make installer in VB6

I don't understand what the problem here is - P&DW allows adding files and destination folder for each file. When installer runs it creates as many new folders as you need and place all custom files in their respective folders.

you have to tell the install program where you want those files to go... simply including them doesn't do anything except just that, include them. Once they are included, then you can set the destination to the appropriate path/folder ... if the folder doesn't exist, the installer will create it... if it does already, then it'll put the files there.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

This is covered in the VB6 documentation, though few have ever taken the time to read it through from the questions we see posted.

Consider this screenshot of the Wizard's Install Locations panel. Read the text highlighted here in yellow:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 1275
Size:  8.8 KB

For a list of available macros there is also the old MS KB article How to use Package and Deployment Wizard installation macros.

Note that the PDW macro support is somewhat limited since it dates back to earlier Setup Wizard products and was only released with VB6 as a stopgap until Visual Studio 6.0 Installer was ready. VSI 1.0 and then 1.1 came out (free for Pro and Enterprise licensees) shortly after VB6 but the downloads are no longer hosted by Microsoft.

You could add new macros but to make them useful you have to create a custom version of setup1. This is why setup1 was written in VB6 and the source provided as part of installing VB6.