Thread: Best way to notify user an external program is stil running.

Question Best way to notify user an external program is stil running.

Hi guys,

I am wondering what might be the best way to notify a user that the external program they are connected to is still running?

The app I am updating from VB6 to VB.Net previously would plot real-time data points on a graph. I have recently found out that there is absolutely no need for the graph or the data. Along with that, the customized user control that the previous developer created was unnecessarily complex (so I am trying to avoid re writing its functionality in VB.Net). With that said, I am looking for an idea similar to the previous control in that it provides real-time feedback...

Any help/ideas would be great, thank you in advance.

Re: Best way to notify user an external program is stil running.

Creep up behind them and shout "Boo!"

Not really a lot to go on there, is there? Is this external program started from your application? What does 'connected to' mean? Will the world shatter into tiny pieces of diamond and float away into space if the external program goes on running. Does any of it, in the face of the size and complexity of the Universe actually matter? Will it ever stop raining?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Your description and question are rather vague. What does "connected to" mean? Are you starting the the other app? Are you making a TCP connection or the like? Are you asking for visual feedback to be displayed in your own form? You need to provide a FULL and CLEAR description of the problem. The more that we have to guess, the less chance you'll get the help you want. If we guess and guess wrong then it's a waste of everyone's time.

My app starts NIDAQ (National Instruments Data Acquisition) with a button on my interface. It allows the user to decide whether or not they need the data provided by National Instruments. I am looking to send visual feedback to the user from my interface after they have chosen to start NIDAQ (with the button click) and start running a speed or torque test (doesn't matter which one). From there I would like to notify the user from my interface that their current test is still running and hasn't seized up.

Quote Originally Posted by UpperN9ne View Post
    From there I would like to notify the user from my interface that their current test is still running and hasn't seized up.
    Remember when I said:
    provide a FULL and CLEAR description
    What exactly does "seized up" mean?

Seized up would usually imply that their test has stopped, wouldn't it? Can't get much clearer than that. Sorry.

I will figure it out myself.

Seized up would usually imply that their test has stopped, wouldn't it? Can't get much clearer than that. Sorry.

I will figure it out myself.
    I assure you that you could get much clearer than that. What does "stopped" mean? Does it mean that the process has completed? That the application is not responding? Something else entirely? Thanks very much for wasting the time of those trying to help you. If your ability and, more importantly, desire to explain the problem clearly is anything to go by then you probably won't figure it out yourself, but I wish you luck.

I was merely asking for suggestions to go about a process of notifying a user that "something" was running or not. Yes, that is a very vague request and I intended this because I was looking for a multitude of ideas. I was not looking for a specific answer, I was looking for more of a possible guideline. As far as me wasting your time, you have full control over whether or not you respond to this thread. To blame me for you replying to my thread is absurd. If you had no desire to help, rather just criticize and insult me, then I thank you for wasting my time.

If you had no desire to help, rather just criticize and insult me, then I thank you for wasting my time.
    I had every desire to help but my repeated requests for relevant information were apparently falling on deaf ears. Again, I assure you that you could get much clearer than the description you provided. If it was clear then I wouldn't have been been asking for more. If Rapunzel had asked prince Charming to rescue her from the tower and then repeatedly refused his requests for her to let down her golden hair, would you not consider her to be wasting his time? If you had provided an adequate description of the problem then you'd have had a solution by now. You haven't so you don't. It looks like it will stay that way for the time being.