Thread: Visual Basic Drop Down List Default Text (Not Menu Item)

Hybrid View

Question Visual Basic Drop Down List Default Text (Not Menu Item)

Ok first off I have tried to search for the answer to this but I'm not finding anything (even though I'm sure it's been answered before) I will admit that I'm new to Visual Basic but I have been studying and trying to learn but it's proving to be harder than I thought...
    What I have is a combobox that is a drop down list so that the user can only make a selection not type in their own information.
    The Issue I'm having is I want to make the combo box have a coupe of items that the user can select but before the user selects an item I want the text for the combo box display what the combo box is.
    Ex.
    Combobox name:
    Sales Rep
    User clicks the combo box
    and it displays a list of names (but not the Sales rep text)
    I would think that this is pretty simple but when it comes to Visual Basic I have learned that this is not always the case...
    Thanks in advance for helping a new comer to programming.
    Ryan

Re: Visual Basic Drop Down List Default Text (Not Menu Item)

I want the text for the combo box display what the combo box is.
    No you don't! Trust me. Use a label if there is a genuine need for a visual indication of what a control represents.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    No you don't! Trust me. Use a label if there is a genuine need for a visual indication of what a control represents.
    Lol ok well could you explain why I don't want to just so I know.

I did figure out a solution. Here's what I ended up doing.\

Code:
    Public Class mainWindow

Private Sub mainWindow_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            cbxRep.Items.Insert(0, "Sales Rep")
            cbxRep.Text = "Sales Rep"

End Sub

Private Sub cbxRep_Enter(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles cbxRep.Enter
            cbxRep.Items.RemoveAt(0)
        End Sub

Private Sub cbxRep_Leave(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles cbxRep.Leave
            If cbxRep.Text = "Sales Rep" Or "" Then
                cbxRep.Items.Insert(0, "Sales Rep")
                cbxRep.Text = "Sales Rep"
            Else
                cbxRep.Items.ToString()
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Other than the "Sales Rep" text not returning if you don't select a Sales Persons name and than click somewhere else.

Lol ok well could you explain why I don't want to just so I know.
    Well one reason would be that there's a member of this forum who hates it even more than me and will have a hissy fit and nobody wants to see that again!

But it is a very unprofessional look and it can be irritating for the savvy user and confusing for the inexperienced user. If nothing else, it means you're spending/wasting time trying to find solutions to problems that have no obvious reason to exist in the first place. (And yes, I do know professional coders who spend all day doing just that in order to justify their continued employment but that doesn't mean you should!)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!