dcsimg

Thread: combo box

Addicted Member

combo box

I have a combo box as part of a project and it has up to 1200 numbers loaded in it that signify different job numbers. As they type, say they want job number 1123. They type 11, which scrolls the combo down to 11, and then they type the 2, so now we are at 112 and it scrolls down to 112, and then finally it scrolls down to 1123 for the final desired job number. Is there a way to disable this function?

Fanatic Member

Re: combo box

Addicted Member

the Dropdown list works, but I want them to also be able to type into the combo box.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand why you want to disable this function. Are you trying to force users to scroll through 1199 records to get to the last one? Perhaps you're trying to cut down on staff and think driving them potty would be a good plan to do so without redundancy payments?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

Nevermind. I fixed my problem.

Well, do tell. Pour encourager les autres and all that.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

The problem that I was having was that when the user would type a number in the combo box, it would scroll down to that job number, say they typed in 123 for job number 123. when they press enter, I have a snyc combo boxes sub that would sync the job number combo box to the job name combo box. The problem was that since it was already scrolled down to job # 123, it would start at the very next index (job number 124) and would search all the way through until it looped back around to 1 (I have like 1258 jobs) which took up time and was some what annoying. I had considered changing the sync combo boxes sub, but then it is called from many other places and would affect those combo boxes possibly and I didn't want to take one step forward, and who knows how many backwards. That's why I wanted to be able to type a number in with the auto scroll down feature turned off. What I did was replace the two combo boxes with two list boxes and put text boxes at the top the user can type in for two reasons: It fixed the problem I just described, and I was able to implement another search and find routine that uses a textbox which allows the user to type in a job name and that sub searches each name showing the results.

thanks for your help DUNN!
    Last edited by Adam Stallcup; Jun 12th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stallcup View Post
    What I did was replace the two combo boxes with two list boxes and put text boxes at the top the user can type in for two reasons: It fixed the problem I just described, and I was able to implement another search and find routine that uses a textbox which allows the user to type in a job name and that sub searches each name showing the results.
    If I'm reading this correctly, you have implemented basically the same as the MSDN solution that was in the link I provided earlier. The only difference I can see is that you are using listboxes whereas MSDN uses a collectionstring.