Thread: [RESOLVED] Very new to WPF - how could I do this

Resolved [RESOLVED] Very new to WPF - how could I do this

I've got an area on the screen that needs to show dates/day's and have a "graph-like" height to each tab under the date/day.

Any easy way to accomplish this with WPF? I read that canvas panels are evil - but I'm thinking that would be the easiest way to accomplish this math-wise.

I'm having a really hard time with the xaml - seems I always need to edit the source of it (and it certainly is not HTML!!) - and not use the properties window in VS2012 (because I am overwhelmed by the options in it - argh).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by szlamany; Jun 11th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Very new to WPF - how could I do this

If I would attack it perhaps I would just use a grid with 2 rows (depending if we just need 2 rows) and 7 columns. How is the height of those controls populated? And should it contain all the dates in a month?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Height is gotten at run-time - gotten from a DB.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If you could cite a sample measurement I will try to create an example for you when I have free time.
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Ok - the height of the graph lines are based on a factor of 100 - max height.

Those 7 days would be something like: 50, 60, 55, 65, 60, 55, 55

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Not sure if you already made some headway with this but here's a very simple code which mimics it but not entirely, just wanted to show how you can utilize a grid for it. Here's the XAML
    Code:
    <Window x:Class="WpfApplication7.MainWindow"
            xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
            xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
            Title="MainWindow" Height="350" Width="525" Loaded="Window_Loaded">
        <Grid>
            <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <RowDefinition Height="30" />
                <RowDefinition Height="100" />               
            </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                <ColumnDefinition Width="20" />
            </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<TextBlock Text="June 2013" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" TextAlignment="Right" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Background="#FFB7CDF2" Foreground="#FF5271B7" />

<TextBlock Text="9   S" x:Name="Col1" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1" />
            <TextBlock Text="10 M" x:Name="Col2" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="11 T" x:Name="Col3" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="2" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="12 W" x:Name="Col4" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="3" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="13 Th" x:Name="Col5" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="4" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="14 F" x:Name="Col6" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="5" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="15 S" x:Name="Col7" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="6" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Justify" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" />
        </Grid>
    </Window>
    and heres' the code-behind:
    Code:
    namespace WpfApplication7
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// Interaction logic for MainWindow.xaml
        /// </summary>
        public partial class MainWindow : Window
        {
            public MainWindow()
            {
                InitializeComponent();
            }

private void Window_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            {
                Col1.Height = 50;
                Col2.Height = 60;
                Col3.Height = 55;
                Col4.Height = 65;
                Col5.Height = 50;
                Col6.Height = 55;
                Col7.Height = 55;
            }
        }
    }
    Regards,

Thanks!

I cannot seem to get the image to get past this screen shot. I did set a break in the Window_Loaded event - it is getting to that spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If you are stepping through the lines where I am setting their heights then not sure what the problem is. It can modify the heights here. Try fiddling with the Height property and/or the VerticalAlignment property.
    Regards,

Sorry - that was my fault - somehow didn't have the loaded event setup properly. Could have swore it broke into it...

At any rate - it's working now but the text of the date and day float up to the height of these tabs. How could I make them stay down?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Looking at your original image it looks like you may need to have 2 textblock, 1 for the letters and 1 for the numbers, and you can put them in a border or something and you should only resize the parent control. Will try to play more with it later if I have more time but got to go for now.
    Regards,

Thanks a whole lot for what you've done so far!!

I think I have to consider minimum size and how it plays into the range being filled - yeah - probably different parts of the vertical need to be built - and grow one - or something like that.

Can I just float the TEXT on front of the column tabs that grow? Is there a z-order to this a bit??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I think this is closer now to what you need. With this you could also specify a different foreground color for the number and letters. And still this uses a grid within a grid now and you will have to specify the height of the individual grids now.
    Code:
    <Window x:Class="WpfApplication7.MainWindow"
            xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
            xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
            Title="MainWindow" Height="350" Width="525" Loaded="Window_Loaded">
        <Grid>
            <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <RowDefinition Height="30" />
                <RowDefinition Height="100" />               
            </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
            </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>

<TextBlock Text="June 2013" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="7" TextAlignment="Right" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Background="#FFB7CDF2" Foreground="#FF5271B7" />

<Grid x:Name="grid1" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="0" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1" >
                  <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                    <RowDefinition Height="20*" />
                    <RowDefinition Height="20" />
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="9" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="S" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>
            <Grid x:Name="grid2" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="1" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="10" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="M" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<Grid x:Name="grid3" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="2" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="11" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="T" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<Grid x:Name="grid4" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="3" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="12" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="W" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<Grid x:Name="grid5" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="4" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="13" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="Th" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<Grid x:Name="grid6" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="5" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="14" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="F" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<Grid x:Name="grid7" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="6" Background="#FFA27EDB" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Margin="1">
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <TextBlock Text="15" Grid.Row="0" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
                <TextBlock Text="S" Grid.Row="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="Transparent" Margin="1" />
            </Grid>

<!--<TextBlock Text="10 M" x:Name="Col2" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="1" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="11 T" x:Name="Col3" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="2" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="12 W" x:Name="Col4" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="3" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="13 Th" x:Name="Col5" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="4" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="14 F" x:Name="Col6" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="5" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1"/>
            <TextBlock Text="15 S" x:Name="Col7" Grid.Row="1" Grid.Column="6" TextWrapping="Wrap" TextAlignment="Justify" VerticalAlignment="Bottom" Background="#FFA27EDB" Margin="1" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" />-->

</Grid>
    </Window>
    And here's the code to specify the height just in case:
    Code:
    private void Window_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            {
                grid1.Height = 50;
                grid2.Height = 60;
                grid3.Height = 55;
                grid4.Height = 65;
                grid5.Height = 50;
                grid6.Height = 55;
                grid7.Height = 55;
            }
    Regards,

Wow - that's great. Thank you very much!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: [RESOLVED] Very new to WPF - how could I do this

Glad to be of help! =)
    Regards,