Thread: New VB-like Language on the Way

PowerPoster

Lightbulb New VB-like Language on the Way

B4J - Building an ecosystem

I'm happy to say that the work on a new product named B4J (yes, this is the full name) has begun.
    I previously discussed this idea here: Develop Windows apps with Basic4android? What do you think?

B4J is a programming environment very similar to Basic4android that creates standard Java applications. Such applications can run on many platforms including Windows, Mac and Linux.

The first version of B4J will support two types of apps: non-UI apps and UI apps. The UI will be based on JavaFX 2.

Programming with B4J will be simpler than Basic4android as a standard Java app is simpler than an Android app. There are no activities and services, only code modules and classes (code modules can handle events in B4J).

Non-UI code and code not specific to Android can be easily used in B4J. This means that existing modules such as HttpUtils2, DateUtils and RDC (remote database connector) can be used with B4J.

B4J will be free for both personal and commercial usage.

I believe that the first beta will be available in 4 - 6 weeks (though it can take longer).
    Basic4android compiles to Dalvik bytecode for creating native Android applications using a VB-like language.

B4J will use a similar language syntax. It can serve as a bridge to learning B4A, and for creating back-end services running on Windows that your B4A applications can consume remotely.

Re: New VB-like Language on the Way

If they have a powerful IDE comparable to Visual Studio this could really take off. I wonder what kind of language features they'd implement. Higher order functions and generics would be a major hit with me.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I'm not sure they're all that valuable, but if you want generics you can always Java for that and use the Java libraries you create from your B4J programs.

Your comment seems bizarre and off point. The idea is to escape the rapidly churning .Net programming language ghetto through an alternative. If you're happy there you can always stay there.

This is part of an entirely different application ecosystem surrounding Android.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm not sure they're all that valuable...
    Higher order functions in particular are part of several popular and not so popular languages which includes Python, Ruby, C++. Hell, even JavaScript has them. And of course C#, VB.Net. Generics are a little less popular but still a part of quite a few languages.

With both these features, you can create some pretty powerful stuff with fewer lines of code. Think about filtering arrays. You can write a single function to do the iteration yet use it to filter based on all kinds of wildly varying criteria. Without them you'd have to write duplicate code with only minor differences between them. That's just one way you could use them.

Your comment seems bizarre and off point.
    If you're promoting a product that could potentially cost me hard earned cash, you bet your ass I want to know what I'm buying. Do you seriously expect me to be all "gung ho, yay, new BASIC" and jump right in blindly ? You can bet I'd be seriously pissed if I find that this new development tool is little more than an upgrade to QuickBasic language wise.

The idea is to escape the rapidly churning .Net programming language ghetto through an alternative.
    By going towards a potentially far inferior product ? That makes sense.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Don't get me wrong though. I'd love to see something like this become a powerhouse but if they can't keep up with all the innovations of its modern cousin, then there's no point really. It'll just be another knock off that exists in some quiet niche somewhere with a few ardent followers.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    If you're promoting a product that could potentially cost me hard earned cash, you bet your ass I want to know what I'm buying. Do you seriously expect me to be all "gung ho, yay, new BASIC" and jump right in blindly ? You can bet I'd be seriously pissed if I find that this new development tool is little more than an upgrade to QuickBasic language wise.
    It will be free.

PowerPoster

It also appears that the resulting programs can be run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD Unix, or Mac.

It will be free.
    I don't know weather to be elated or worried by that. VS is expensive as hell yet when you use it, you can see why. Very few freebies are star quality apps. Nonetheless, I'll test drive it when its out and see what its like.

It also appears that the resulting programs can be run on Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD Unix, or Mac.
    Well it apparently targets the Java Runtime so that shouldn't be surprising.

I am experiencing DEJA VU! Didn't Dilettante start a thread for "Basic4android" a while back?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

This is a different, free product for developing cross-platform programs targeting the JVM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I am experiencing DEJA VU! Didn't Dilettante start a thread for "Basic4android" a while back?
    He's just adamant about avoiding VB.Net. MS really hurt him so he wants to get them jealous by hooking up with another BASIC.

Lively Member

So how is this different from : https://www.nsbasic.com/ ?

(I haven't tried B4A, mainly because I want to be able to use other platforms as well as Android - B4J looks as though it may be interesting).

PowerPoster

NSB/AppStudio is basically some HTML and JavaScript bundled up in a wrapper. Its one of many PhoneGap based tools of its kind though it does accept a VB-like syntax that gets translated into JavaScript.

The result is a "native nowhere" look and feel, like Web pages, with mediocre performance and limits on the features you can use. Overall you get shoddy results though it may be good for simple quick and dirty apps.

B4A creates native Android applications with first class look and feel and performance.

B4J creates desktop JavaFX GUI and Java console applications using the same language syntax as B4A which makes it more appealing to a B4A developer than anyone else. Its main use will probably be to create custom back-end services to B4A mobile applications.

As more is revealed B4J looks less and less like a general desktop programming tool.

Lively Member

As more is revealed B4J looks less and less like a general desktop programming tool.
    So the search for a VB6 successor continues

I will try the B4J beta when it is available though.

PowerPoster

I can't determine how the GUI (forms) development is done yet. Might not be as bad as I was worried it could be (i.e. use a separate IDE to create forms, generate XML, import that into B4J).

A few compiled demos posted, small one: B4J - Bouncing Smiley.

I can't determine how the GUI (forms) development is done yet. Might not be as bad as I was worried it could be (i.e. use a separate IDE to create forms, generate XML, import that into B4J).
    It is really not complicated. You do not need to import anything. The designer starts in a new Window. That's all.

It is true that B4J shares many of the libraries and frameworks with Basic4android. However the purpose it to built a general tool for desktop apps.

You can see more tutorials here: http://www.basic4ppc.com/android/for...-tutorials.57/

Frenzied Member

One of the daily software giveaway sites is offering 'this' for half price -
    http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/b...014-03-24+PC+A

And this is the home site -
    http://www.basic4ppc.com/

Is this what dilettante was discussing ?
    Does it warrant it's own forum on our site ?

PowerPoster

Basic4Android is a set of tools for developing Android applications in a VB-like language.

B4J ("Basic for Java") is a free set of tools for developing JRE applications in a similar VB-like language. These run on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

I have worked with B4J a little and the tools are far less awkward to work with than I had imagined before it was released. People seem to be having good success with it, and features have been added at a good pace since the first Beta version came out.

Same company, two separate but complementary products based on quite similar source-level languages, libraries, and IDEs.