Thread: [RESOLVED] SQLSERVER 2005: Unable to create new Database

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] SQLSERVER 2005: Unable to create new Database

I am newly installed SQL SERVER 2005 and when i trying to create a new database its showing the following message

Code:
    Either the 'admin-PC\admin' user does not have permission to create a new object in 'ADMIN-PC\SQLSERVER', or the object does not exist.
     (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)
    admin-pc is my system name and SQLSERVER is my instance name

Please help me to resolve this.......

Thanks in advance

Addicted Member

Re: SQLSERVER 2005: Unable to create new Database

Its resolved!!

I right clicked the application and "Run as administrator" as it was on Windows 7. Now able to create new database..

Re: [RESOLVED] SQLSERVER 2005: Unable to create new Database

Ok - that really makes no sense. You RIGHT-CLICK SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO?? And that changes how the permissions for database creation work under the ENGINE that runs as a SERVICE??

You must have some bad authentication setup somewhere on the service itself.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Sounds about right... I have the same issue. The service runs under a different context from me.... IT has the permissions to create database... but *I* don't... but the local machine's localadministrators group has permissions... so when I run Management Studio, I have to "Run as admin" to elevate my local account so that I can create databases. I have the same problem with some debugging functionality in VS... I can't connect to my local IIS service unless running as admin. So I create shortcuts for all the apps this happens on, then in the properties I set the "Always run as administrator" checkbox.... then docked them in my menubar... It means I have to click the "Yes" button when ever invoking the application, but it's a minor issue, and gives me a moment to rethink if I want to launch it - a couple times I've hit the wrong shortcut, meaning the one next to it... clicking "No" cancels that one, and I don't have to wait for it to come up before dismissing it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That still sounds like a bad setup for authentication to me...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Maybe... I didn't set it up... the "help" desk bunch did... I let them do it because if I then have issues, they'll support it... sometimes it's jsut easier to let someone else deal with those kinds of things.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *