Thread: why encoded?

Fanatic Member

why encoded?

i have a POST form and when i enter value contain + example

a+b

and click the submit button then it is converted into a%2Bb

i noticed that + is converted into %2B

why this happens when we post data from html form?

is there a way to post directly + in place of %2B ?

Re: why encoded?

It's called URLEncoding... and it's normally done with forms that have an action of GET... because the data has to be safely passed through the URL so non alphanumerics get converted to their Hex value (2B in the case of a +). on the receiving end it then needs to be run through a URLUnencode process. POSTed data (where the form action = POST) on the other hand usually gets handled differently... and doesn't usually go through the URLEncoding... so are you sure you're POSTing and not GETting?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    It's called URLEncoding... and it's normally done with forms that have an action of GET... because the data has to be safely passed through the URL so non alphanumerics get converted to their Hex value (2B in the case of a +). on the receiving end it then needs to be run through a URLUnencode process. POSTed data (where the form action = POST) on the other hand usually gets handled differently... and doesn't usually go through the URLEncoding... so are you sure you're POSTing and not GETting?

-tg
    yes im sure my form method is post not get.

where this a%2b showing ? in another input or somewhere in forum ? you can convert the %2 to + if its bothering u...
    as TG mentioned its usually for Get Method like when you use space it shows with %20 anyway here's a solution for changing it before echo it out :
    Code:
    $text = "hello%20Bye";
    $text_replace = str_replace('+', '%20', $text);

I don't recommend using replace... there is a URLUnencode (or URLDecode) function in most languages (you didn't specify what you're suing, but PHP and .NET both have one) specifically for this reason... you start using replace and you'll be writing A LOT of code trying to account for all possibilities.

Also, you may want to mention the language you are using on the server end and how you are getting your values from the submission...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

yup there is urldecode for php since this thread is in php :
    string urldecode ( string $str )
    Decodes any %## encoding in the given string. Plus symbols ('+') are decoded to a space character.

its so simple so it doesnt require an example
    Goodluck
    Last edited by Pc Monk; May 29th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

no... it won't replace the + with a space... the + was encoded to %2b ... so the %2b will be dencoded back to "+" .... that's it... now, if + was passed into the decode function... then yes... the + would be replaced with a space... so would %32 ... but since the + isn't being passed into the decode... it's irrelevant.

-tg

you are right so i had to edit the post... if the + wont get encoded to %2b then it will be decoded to space otherwise as you said it will be back to +
    Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post

-tg
    Actually, both GET and POST requests tend to be encoded in the same format (key1=val1&key2=val2, etc., with URL encoding applied):

Name:  Screenshot-3.png
Views: 95
Size:  51.2 KB

The distinction is purely semantic... with the exception of multi-part POST requests (with the MIME type multipart/form-data), which let you embed binary streams in the request body. These work in the same way as multi-part emails: a 'boundary' string is defined (a series of characters which doesn't appear in any of the binary parts) which delimits the parts of the request.