Thread: How fast and accurate can you type?

How fast and accurate can you type?

Do you guys go over a hundred wpm?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Re: How fast and accurate can you type?

I get around 85 here, with none or one mistake http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

several mistakes... it clocked me at 42 wpm... but... I stumbled a few times because the words were random and not in a normal sentence. But... that probably makes it a fairer test. I find I can type faster when I can make sense of the words or I am typing from scratch. Still probably not even close to 85wpm though.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I ended up with 65 two times. I was walking on a treadmill at the time, but I doubt I would do much better if I was not.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

12 WPM

I'm a two finger typer..

I go about 45 WPM with a decent level of accuracy. We've got one gal around here who is so fast she has to wear a seat belt...around 110 WPM I think.

There is a downside to typing fast though for employees like me who are not tasked with doing correspondence by job title. The people who receive my e-mails and memos complain that I say too much. At 45 WPM it's not that fast but I can fill a page up fairly quickly and that gets people not wanting to read it.

I get the same complaints.

Off the treadmill, my speed was only very slightly faster. I don't think I could top 70 WPM without some coaching. My fingers travel too far, and i tend to cheat on some characters.

53 WPM w/ 9 misspellings, so I'm not fantastic but I know my way around the keyboard with 4 fingers though
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Yeah, I found the randomness of the words to be a negative factor as well. I tested about five times and at my best I can't see my self doing better. Even when I think I aced it, it turns out I got one or two more words in. Though, I think my hand positioning could improve. I rarely use my pinkies and it's mostly for Shift and Enter and my ring fingers are under-used. Also, I have the Apple keyboard which has very short/shallow keystrokes and I think that helps as well.

Fanatic Member

I didnt bother trying it.

Anyone else think that the iPad spell check && autocorrection sucks?

I have to go. My camel is on fire.

Never on a first date!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

I don't get less than 50wpm and my accuracy is always more than 95% but if I were typing 'real' paragraphs which allows backspace then I could probably exceed 60wpm with '100%' accuracy.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

As a side note I believe the QWERTY keyboard was actually designed to slow typing down. The first common type writers had those metal "arms" that would swing up and pound the paper with the letter\ink. Really fast typists would jam them up. So the keyboard was designed to make people type slower. There have been attempts to change that but the QWERTY keyboard is so entrenched that never caught on.

I took typing in high school and those old IBM type writers with the really fast little balls were the rage them. It was probably 13 years later when I got into to programming and forgot how to touch type. I never bothered to learn it back and I think I do fine. Well I haven't been fired yet...
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; May 29th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.

I believe the QWERTY keyboard was actually designed to slow typing down.
    As do a lot of people but it ain't so. The intention was to separate the most common digraphs. Jamming is only a major problem with directly neighbouring keys (the angle of more separated keys coming together is less acute and therfore the frictional surface in a clash is smaller) so the arms for the most common sequences were separated by as much space as possible. The net result made for faster, not slower typing.

A side effect of this is that there is a far greater number of words which can be typed entirely with the left hand than with the right. Now is that sinister or what?
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Does anybody use a Dvorak keyboard?

Interestingly, true Dvorak keyboards tend to be relatively expensive compared to QWERTY keyboards. This is kind of odd since it is nothing more than a mapping problem. Most keyboards have keys that can be rearranged, so one should be convertible to the other without much effort. I alphabetized a keyboard for somebody one time using this technique. It made his keyboard very orderly. I understand that he was so delighted he swore mightily and at great length.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    As do a lot of people but it ain't so. The intention was to separate the most common digraphs. Jamming is only a major problem with directly neighbouring keys (the angle of more separated keys coming together is less acute and therfore the frictional surface in a clash is smaller) so the arms for the most common sequences were separated by as much space as possible. The net result made for faster, not slower typing.

A side effect of this is that there is a far greater number of words which can be typed entirely with the left hand than with the right. Now is that sinister or what?
    Thanks for straightening me out on that. I don't know how many times I've wrongly said that:

"The construction of the "Type Writer" had two flaws that made the product susceptible to jams. Firstly, characters were mounted on metal arms or typebars, which would clash and jam if neighboring arms were pressed at the same time or in rapid succession.[4] Secondly, its printing point was located beneath the paper carriage, invisible to the operator, a so-called "up-stroke" design. Consequently, jams were especially serious, because the typist could only discover the mishap by raising the carriage to inspect what he had typed. The solution was to place commonly used letter-pairs (like "th" or "st") so that their typebars were not neighboring, avoiding jams. Contrary to popular belief,[5] the QWERTY layout was not designed to slow the typist down,[6] but rather to speed up typing by preventing jams.[4][7] (There is also evidence that, aside from the issue of jamming, keys being further apart increases typing speed on its own, because it encourages alternation between the hands.[citation needed]) Almost every word in the English language contains at least one vowel, but on the QWERTY keyboard only the vowel "A" is located on the home row, which requires the typist's fingers to leave the home row for most words."

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Almost every word in the English language contains at least one vowel

That used to be true, but....well, ***!

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Never on a first date!
    That would be like trying to mate with a queen bee!!!
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

Banned

for me Near about 45wpm

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Get an IBM Model M keyboard.

60 WPM sounds like 120
    I don't live here any more.

Addicted Member

I was bored so I'll add to this old thread.. 73wpm with 8 mistakes

Sinecure devotee

I didn't think it allowed you to correct your mistakes at first, so if I did a couple letters out of order, or caught the edge of another key and the word turned red, I just hit space and moved on to the next word.
    But, then realized as I did it a few more times (since hitting the backspace quickly when I know I hit a wrong character is pretty much a reflex), I saw you can correct a mistype without it being counted as a "mistake", so it is fairly easy to get 0 mistakes and a decent time, if you correct yourself quickly.
    Only if you hit the space to go to the next word is the previous word "cast in concrete" and can't be corrected.
    So, my best rate at this point is 68wpm with 0 (counted) mistakes (but typically runs 54 to 56 wpm).
    Last edited by passel; Apr 7th, 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I can easily go over a 100 with my logitech keyboard. I can't repeat that on other keyboards though!
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    I get around 85 here, with none or one mistake http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english
    On this test I am coming with a result of 60.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

I can get up around 150 WPM when I am channeling an ancient Phoenecian god. Unfortunately, he/she/it has decided how to map the glyphs of that language to the letters in the English language, which means that even ancient Sumerians can't translate what I am typing. I have a baal while writing, though.

Have your tried the Typing Tutor Kamen? As long as you're not in de Nile, it'll help your typing Ra-k.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I type Tutor Kamen with both hands. It's a bit hard stereo-typing Tutor Kamen in that fashion, as he is mum about so much. He's just a mum-y kind of guy who is all wrapped up in his business. He's been a bit sick lately, though. In fact, he's been coughin so much that he's put it out as a very successful album. You may have heard about how Tutor Kamen's coughin is solid gold. He's going to need it, though, as I heard that he was discovered to be at the heart of some pyramid scheme.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

He's also got a brother, Gus, from the Island of Sark who suffers from the same ailment. It's the Sark Cough Of Gus.

Now that was a laboured pun.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The pertussis....I mean percussion...section gave you a rim shot on that one.

Wow, didn't realize how old this thread was. I got 75 WPM with 0 misspellings:
    You are better than 90.68% of all users (position 11925 of 127891 - last 24 hours)
    That was fun.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Sinecure devotee

Don't know if you've seen "Bruce Almighty", with Jim Carrey, or remember the scene where he took the same typing test.
    Seems more funny now, that I've given it a go.

You mean grabbing a cup of joe while typing with one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    You mean grabbing a cup of joe while typing with one hand?
    This one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9d2xnR0f40

lol! That's how I felt too.

Sinecure devotee

Ok, that makes more sense now. I couldn't remember him taking a typing test in the movie (only watched it once when it came out), the making a dent comment is applicable as he was trying to respond to prayer requests. So, the typing test was somebody's spoof. Should have known.
    Last edited by passel; Apr 9th, 2014 at 10:28 AM.

ya this one is a bit more complete,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6BJON-77rQ

I love the one hand typing and drinking coffee LOL!

My typing sucks, injuries to left hand, 50 WPM on a good day.