Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade - May 9, 2013

Post Forum Upgrade - May 9, 2013

We did an upgrade on this forum. You shouldn't notice any major changes. The hopes are that this will help clean up some of the speed and other issues that people had reported.

If you see any issues, please report them in this thread.

Thanks!

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Forum Upgrade - May 9, 2013

So far so good, I noticed you guys added Latest Reputation Given to user settings, neat!
    EDIT: OK, only 48 reps Received are now shown(was 50), and the reps Given shows last 50?

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Edgemeal; May 9th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    If you see any issues, please report them in this thread.
    Thanks!
    Brad!
    Who is this Array fellow?, he's taking over the forums!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
    Yeah, me too see him in Today's Birthday section. Anyway, happy birthday "Array"

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Maybe its an easter egg
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Maybe its an easter egg

Hey guys, have you checked your profile page? There is a new section called MyActivity. Check it out!

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post

Hey guys, have you checked your profile page? There is a new section called MyActivity. Check it out!
    Oh yea....Its like that "Whats new" in the top bar on the forums.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
    Mr PHP Array gone wrong has been fixed. Please let us know if you see him hiding in other spots

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Mr PHP Array gone wrong has been fixed. Please let us know if you seen him hiding in other spots
    I haven't seen you here. Where did you came from? What happened to Brad? Did you kicked him out?

BTW, I really love to see a better top portion for the whole site. I mean, the top portion of the page where the logo, the ads, the menu bar that holds the links Logout, My Profile, etc.
    If it doesn't take much time, please polish it too.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

There are several Administrators
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Oh yea....Its like that "Whats new" in the top bar on the forums.
    ok.. thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    There are several Administrators
    I was just kidding.

BTW, it looks like there is a spacing in between some rep gems! Is that done to distinguish the various levels or am I the only one seeing that spacing?

Name:  gem_spacing.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  58.3 KB
    Last edited by akhileshbc; May 10th, 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: replied to the other post too

I'm the main administrator for the site as far as changes to the overall site and what we do with the site. Heidi is our tech genius that is here when we need her (but her time is valuable, so we try not to need her). We now have a couple of other folks that help across all of QuinStreet Enterprises' forums. They hadn't been hanging around VBForums so much because I was here. I didn't feel I have been responsive enough to the moderators and forum, so I asked them to step in and help do some of the things that need done on a regular basis.

For things like site changes (such as the request to clean up the top), that comes to me. Specific to that.... I can clean up the top; however, the alternative is what we have on *all of my other key forums*, which is to push that stuff to the right side of the page. At the request of many members here on this forum, I've fought hard to keep the right rail on this forum clean. It would make my life a lot easier to make this forum consistent and shift the stuff at the top over to the right. If that is what you - the members - are wanting now. That's different from everything that the vocal people have said up to this point......

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

I wanted to add....

At the end of they day.... the admins are working to try to help support the fantastic moderation crew we have here. I might help screw in a light bulb every now and then, but it is the mods that keep the lights on and the forum functioning at an unbelievable level!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

BTW, it looks like there is a spacing in between some rep gems! Is that done to distinguish the various levels or am I the only one seeing that spacing?

Name:  gem_spacing.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  58.3 KB
    @Akhi: No I don't see that space..
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

For things like site changes (such as the request to clean up the top), that comes to me. Specific to that.... I can clean up the top; however, the alternative is what we have on *all of my other key forums*, which is to push that stuff to the right side of the page. At the request of many members here on this forum, I've fought hard to keep the right rail on this forum clean. It would make my life a lot easier to make this forum consistent and shift the stuff at the top over to the right. If that is what you - the members - are wanting now. That's different from everything that the vocal people have said up to this point......

Brad!
    No, please do not; keep it as is. Thank you Brad!

@Brad: good job

Quote Originally Posted by koolsid View Post
    @Akhi: No I don't see that space..
    hmm.. That's odd! Am using the latest version of Chrome! I just tested in Firefox and it is showing differently!

In Chrome(Version 26.0.1410.64 m):

Name:  vbf_in_chrome-Optimized.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  126.1 KB

==================================================================================================== =================

In Firefox(20.0.1):

Name:  vbf_in_firefox-Optimized.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  92.8 KB

Does anyone using Google Chrome, experiences this?

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull View Post
    +1

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Sorry I am a FF guy. No Chrome here. Let's wait for someone who has chrome...
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

I see no gaps now. I've looked on Chrome and FF. I've not checked IE yet.

I used to see gaps between each gem before the update.

I just want to say that if the biggest issue after the upgrade is spacing between rep gems, then this has been a smooth update!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

I'm the main administrator for the site as far as changes to the overall site and what we do with the site. Heidi is our tech genius that is here when we need her (but her time is valuable, so we try not to need her). We now have a couple of other folks that help across all of QuinStreet Enterprises' forums. They hadn't been hanging around VBForums so much because I was here. I didn't feel I have been responsive enough to the moderators and forum, so I asked them to step in and help do some of the things that need done on a regular basis.

Brad!
    Thanks for explaining that. After Stephen R chimed in I was having a hard time keeping up with the Joneses.

This was a very smooth upgrade. I don't even see Mr. Array around (I believe he wasn't actually a person, but was just a collective acting as a single person).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You are correct.... Mr. Array was a collective acting as a person! We've moved Mr. Array out of the way so the members can all be seen individually!

said different... small php/template issue, but nothing Heidi couldn't whack away quickly!

Brad!

OMG! Search works!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

My Activity tab + Rep Notifications - very impressive...
    Any chance of adding [Code], [VBCode] buttons to the Quick Reply message editor?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    OMG! Search works!
    OMG! You have an avatar!

Specific to that.... I can clean up the top; however, the alternative is what we have on *all of my other key forums*, which is to push that stuff to the right side of the page.
    Top Top Top!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull View Post
    I second the motion.
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Yea....the ads on the side is what makes CodeGuru's layout horrible.

Just noticed that My Activities section lists posts in threads you have replied to. However, the posts may be by other people.

Edit:

I haven't seen you here. Where did you came from? What happened to Brad? Did you kicked him out?
    I think Steve maybe Brad's twin! Although, I'm not sure how the evil one is.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; May 11th, 2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    My Activity tab + Rep Notifications - very impressive...
    Any chance of adding [Code], [VBCode] buttons to the Quick Reply message editor?
    I'd also like to see those buttons on the Quick Reply.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

OMG! You have an avatar!
    Edvard Munch I believe.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

It's a total scream.

Add one more vote to keep the ads out of the side bar. I like the width that is currently available for code in replies, even though I'm on a wide format monitor. Width doesn't matter so much for the text of replies, but it is VERY nice for posted code. The more width the better for that item.

One more vote for the Code tags in quick reply. Frankly, it makes little sense to me, but it seems like since the earlier upgrade there have been a LOT more posts from first time, and infrequent, members who don't use code tags. They were always a bit slower to go there, which is understandable, but the problem appears to have gotten worse. Much as the words made a HUGE difference in the utilization (I hate that word) of the rep button, I think that having the tags on quick reply would make a difference for code in posts. I'd be surprised if the difference was as great as the words in the rep button, but I also wouldn't mind being surprised on this one.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I looked into adding the code buttons to the quick reply box before. Either I wasn't figuring it out right, or it wasn't as simple as it seemed it should be. As such, I never added it. We might look into it again when time allows, but right now I know I don't have the time to dig into that issue relative to others.....

I hear you on the request though.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC