Thread: DataGridView Combobox Control

DataGridView Combobox Control

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there was a way of populating a DataGridView control during runtime so that in one column there could be a few rows set to type string followed by a combobox control cell all in the same column?

Thanks

Re: DataGridView Combobox Control

No! Nor indeed at any time.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Yes that is completely possible and, in fact, at run time is the only time you can do it. When you add columns to a DataGridView you are specifying the template cell type for that column but, in fact, any cell in any column can be any type you want. You simply create a cell of the type you want and assign it to the grid's Item property, which gets or sets the cell at particular column and cell coordinates, e.g.
    Code:
    DataGridView1(1, 5) = New DataGridViewComboBoxCell()
    That will put a combo box cell in the second column of the sixth row regardless of the type of that column. The cell that was at that location will be discarded.

Brilliant, works a charm thanks.

You can? Darn it! Just when you think that darned DGV straight in your head ....
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!