Thread: Compatibility of Upcoming New Patches, Hot Fixes, etc. with Visual Basic 6.0.

Compatibility of Upcoming New Patches, Hot Fixes, etc. with Visual Basic 6.0.

I am aware that Visual Basic 6 is no longer supported by Microsoft (as of April 8 2008). I have been requested to obtain information on whether any upcoming Microsoft patch or hot fix will be tested for compatibility with Visual Basic 6.0. If so, does anyone know for how long?

Thx!

Mario

Re: Compatibility of Upcoming New Patches, Hot Fixes, etc. with Visual Basic 6.0.

Excuse me, let me restate myself: as I understand it, Visual Basic 6 runtime will be supported until June 2013 by Microsoft under extended support. Does this also mean that any upcoming patches or hot fixes will not be tested for VB6 compatibility? If so, will that happen after June 2013? This is our assumption, but we'd like verification.

Thanks!

PowerPoster

Re: Compatibility of Upcoming New Patches, Hot Fixes, etc. with Visual Basic 6.0.

Good question. As I see it, it is a function of the number of people still using Classic. Most large IT departments go with the flow, that way they have an out and the ability to blame Microsoft if something *&^%$ up. In the old mainframe days, everyone followed Big Blue (IBM).
    Hence a large number moved to NET when NET came out as a CYA actiion. From M$ perspective (as I see it) it is a matter of numbers. If just the little guys are left, they most likely figure the $$$ aren't there from a sales perspective, so they will lose a few who are *&^%$ off,
    but most will get frustrated over lack of support or inability to use some new features and be forced to move to NET. So my guess is come June 2013 support stops -- period.

The way I would approach it if you like Classic, hate NET, and don't want to go through the learning curve to rewrite any software, is just keep using your old OS along with Classic. As long as you don't need or want any new features that come along, you should be good to go.

PowerPoster

I believe that the current Microsoft statement regarding VB6 is that "it just works" under the current Operating Systems (up to and including Windows 8). Taking that statement literally then there's an implied commitment to make sure that any hot fixes and the like will not affect VB6 programs. (This assumes that the VB6 programs have been written to obey all the 'rules' set out by Microsoft)

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    I believe that the current Microsoft statement regarding VB6 is that "it just works" under the current Operating Systems (up to and including Windows 8). Taking that statement literally then there's an implied commitment to make sure that any hot fixes and the like will not affect VB6 programs. (This assumes that the VB6 programs have been written to obey all the 'rules' set out by Microsoft)
    Isn't that just talk for "If it falls over you'll have to fix it yourself"!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

It may be. However, I personally, don't know of anyone who has 'tested' the statement. (i.e. had a 'perfectly written' VB6 program that has suddenly stopped working because of a fix / update to the Operating System and have subsequently complained to Microsoft).

PowerPoster

Remember that the "it just works" is talking about compiled programs, and not the IDE. The last version of Windows officially supporting VB6 development was Vista.

There have been several patches and Service Packs in the last few years (mostly on Win7) that lead to problems with the IDE or with programs compiled under Win7 not working right on earlier versions of Windows. These have workarounds but they can be frustrating, and of course you need to know you have a problem before you can look for a fix.

Some of the problems can bite you even using .Net languages if you still rely on pre.Net tech like VB6 OCXs, ADO, etc.

Most of these probably come about since Microsoft doesn't do much testing anymore, and what testing they do is probably only for precompiled programs (as the Support Statement suggests).