Thread: How to buy Photoshop today - is it really subscription only?

How to buy Photoshop today - is it really subscription only?

I am so confused by the options and pricing of Photoshop.

Anyone own a version?

Anyone on this subscription plan they have??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Re: How to buy Photoshop today - is it really subscription only?

Oops, thought this was a question about a subscription to Photoshop Today magazine. Lots of pictures of people in black turtlenecks with small monkeys in cages, etc.

But perusing their site it sure does seem like the "Creative Cloud" is subscription only.

I did find this though:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalo....html?start=10
    Last edited by dilettante; Dec 13th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Yeah - it's about Adobe Photoshop!

I'm thinking about buying a boxed-set of Adobe Photoshop CS6 - they still are for sale.

Kind of wondering what others are doing - maybe some of our resident web folk use it.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

King of sapila

Have the CS suite but i don't have a problem using also the good ol' Photoshop 4.0(is it free now?) on my other computer for image processing. If you don't need professional work, PS4 has layers and filter and all the options to manipulate pictures.
    I don't know the expense of usage you need, i personally not paying for the software (company does) so, yeah, i just needed Dreamweaver but Photoshop was inside the suit so i am using it but i can work fine with 4.0. too (10-15 years old software).
    Personally I wouldn't get it for more than 100$ offer, else i would have used a free - trial software. But again, company, i can pretty much have anything i want for web development so haven't though about it.
    Wasn't there a Paint shop for free?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Common free alternatives include Paint.Net and the gimp.

I'm looking for PS itself - not an alternative unfortunately.

Seems that old boxes sets are available - just don't want to buy the wrong thing - too old or wrong version...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

More and more we will see this as a means to regain sale dollars. I say buy the latest version of the one that is currently going to be cloud based subscription services only. I personally still run PS 7 but now I may upgrade to CS6 if the new version is cloud based subscription.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

One thing about any "cloud based" software...

I had an Internet outage a few days ago that lasted a painful amount of time. The carrier had pushed new firmware to the cable modem and it never came back up. Took a couple of days of fiddling and calls to them and they left me with "oh well, call Motorola, we don't support your hardware." I got lucky, and apparantly their reprovisioning worked - it just took 45 minutes instead of the "wait one minute." One more hard reset and it came up. Of course they denied pushing any firmware, but the gateway's admin pages are a totally new look and have a 2013 Copyright on them.

Because of that, and the fact that I rely on Internet access to make money, I have ordered a pay-as-I-go MiFi router as backup. Costly bandwidth ($45 for 3GB) but no recurring charges and its prepaid time doesn't expire fast:

The "never expires if used once a year" is a BIG selling point and that's why the cost per MB is more expensive. Same with cell phones. PAYG is more expensive per minute but you generally get more time to use it.. Not a new concept as far as price vs. what you get.

I think this is a good offering for those who don't need a great volume of data, but like to have it available with as long a time to use it as possible.
    Still cheaper than cellphone data + tethering fees, especially since I don't plan to make regular use of it.

Point being though... most such "cloud based" software either doesn't work at all or has reduced functionality if your Internet connection isn't there. I suspect they are bandwidth hogs in many cases too.

Photoshop does not have that issue - you can go 90 days without internet from what I've read online...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Ok, then perhaps it is just delivered online and aggressively updated or something.

King of sapila

Quick correction here. I actually using CS5 not CS6. But what exactly do you need to do and you need Photoshop to achieve it? Why won't you accept an alternative that can save you hundreds of you US $ ?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Photoshop is the standard. I would think its being a creature of habit and hate learning a new app. I know I feel that same way
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

One of my 12 year boys wants it for Christmas. I'm happy to oblige.

Is this a real copy of a boxed set?

http://www.nexttechdirect.com/index....p-cs6-windows/

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

According to the Adobe site CS6 is still available but will not be updated for any new major releases.

While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be available for purchase, Adobe has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products.
    If you change the filter on the Buy page you get 5 pages of products with many non-cloud based versions. PS still isn't on there without cloud version though. Figure other retailers will have inventory left over for a while.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011