Thread: Excessive ad...

Excessive ad...

So all I did was open this thread:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-in-Crystal-XI

and I got this in my face:
    Name:  InvasiveAd.PNG
Views: 143
Size:  398.9 KB
    didn't hover over anything... the ad immediately popped up, the video started running and the audio turned up all the way.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Excessive ad...

Was this your first time to the VBForums site today? If so, can I assume you didn't see it again?

Regardless of the reason for the ad, it should not have had sound on. I'll talk to our ad operations folks about this.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

ah. This isn't our ad. I'll talk to the ad server people that delivered this and tell them to get it out of the system.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

yeah, it when it showed up it was NOT the first visit to the site today...

Cool, thanks.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks Tech. I figured it out. It is an add from one of the underlined words on the page. I was able to get it to display by hovering over one of the terms. I did have to leave my mouse there for about 2 seconds to get it, but it did show.

Regardless, I'm working to get it removed.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

ooooh.... I wonder then if my mouse just happened to actually be over that as it was loading, so that as soon as the page was done loading, it fired off...

-tg

Most likely

It should take hovering on the link for 3 seconds for the ad to show.....

But that's okay. That ad will be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    ooooh.... I wonder then if my mouse just happened to actually be over that as it was loading, so that as soon as the page was done loading, it fired off...

-tg
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Banned

this add also shown on mine froze my firefox 3 times

The only way to have gotten that ad was to hover over a link for 3 seconds.

More importantly, the ad should no longer be on the site. If you can tell me what page you found the ad, let me know so I can follow up with the company serving it.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Are all ads supposed to have the hover and wait feature? Because it seems not all do... which might have been the case in the ad in the original post....
    Here's one that popped up immediately w/o an hovering (I did mouse over the hot word, but there was no pause.)
    Name:  vbf-popad.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  37.1 KB
    it was on this thread:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...rite-timed-out

Just wondering.

-tg

TG

My experience matches yours .. no hover required.
    A simple "cursor over" triggers the ads immediately.

Spoo

No. The standard intellitext ad will pop-up when you hover over the keyword and disappear when you move away.

The three second hover was something that the third-party ad serving people added (which I was not aware of, nor am I sure they told anyone at QuinStreet). That hover applied to an ad that took over the screed and played video/music. That ad should be gone now, so it should all be working as it did before.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC