Thread: Deploying ClickOne application with network share

Addicted Member

Deploying ClickOne application with network share

hi,
    We have a server PC and other client PCs working connected to server using LAN. We have a application for our internal use which is developed using VB.Net. I used steps in http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/17003/ClickOnce-Quick-steps-to-Deploy-Install-and-Update to deploy clickone statergy for updating our application.After publishing while installing application,this error is coming

I searched i details and found this error
    Code:
    ERROR SUMMARY
    Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
    * Activation of D:\Desktop\publish\Global.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
        + Downloading file:///D:/Desktop/publish/Application Files/Global_1_0_0_0/Global.XmlSerializers.dll.deploy did not succeed.
        + Could not find file 'D:\Desktop\publish\Application Files\Global_1_0_0_0\Global.XmlSerializers.dll.deploy'.
        + Could not find file 'D:\Desktop\publish\Application Files\Global_1_0_0_0\Global.XmlSerializers.dll.deploy'.
    This is how I published

I checked by giving network path for publishing folder location.But same error coming.

Here is application files included

As you can see Global.XmlSerializers.dll is included.I tried to change it from Auto include to include.But result is same.
    Anyone know why this is happening?

Is there any way to copy some extra files to installation folder(C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Apps..) when installing or updating clickone application? Because we use some outside support files for our application. Is it possible?

Is there any way to pass argument to clickone application short cut,like passing argument to .exe shortcut("\Global.exe" ?/?customer?/?)?

Frenzied Member

Re: Deploying ClickOne application with network share

I use click once, but my publishing folder = installation folder, and it works fine from the network. From what I have gathered (and I could be wrong), I am under the impression that the install folder path is where the published files need to be manually copied to in order to distribute the application to your users. Did you try to make the publish folder = install folder (on the network share) to see what happens? If it installs then, I would suppose that is your problem.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    I use click once, but my publishing folder = installation folder, and it works fine from the network. From what I have gathered (and I could be wrong), I am under the impression that the install folder path is where the published files need to be manually copied to in order to distribute the application to your users. Did you try to make the publish folder = install folder (on the network share) to see what happens? If it installs then, I would suppose that is your problem.
    Thanks for reply
    I have already tried by making publish folder = install folder,but it is not working

Are the client computers installing directly from a network share, or have they mapped a drive? Your situation would make sense if they have not mapped a drive with the same letter. Since it is "D" that may not be possible.
    Show the love! Click (rate this post) under my name if I was helpful.

My CodeBank Submissions: How to create a User Control | Move a form between Multiple Monitors (Screens) | Remove the MDI Client Border | Using Report Viewer with Visual Studio 2012 Express

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by circuits2 View Post
    Are the client computers installing directly from a network share, or have they mapped a drive? Your situation would make sense if they have not mapped a drive with the same letter. Since it is "D" that may not be possible.
    Thanks for reply
    Actually my PC name is PC97. I am publishing in my PC,so I gave local path to publishing(Some error coming if i use UNC path for my own computer while publishing) and UNC path for installation.I dont think that is the problem because i already checked by giving another computer UNC path,same for both publish and installation and it did not solve the problem

What I do on my development computer is create a network share and then map the drive using a letter that can be mapped on clients. Then I set the publish and install path using the local drive letter that is mapped, which will be the same path for clients.

For example:

On Development Computer -> Create Network Share: \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish
    On Development Computer -> Map Network Drive "G" (mapped to \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish)
    Set ClickOnce Publish Path to G:\
    Set ClickOnce Install Path to G:\

On Client Computer -> Map Network Drive "G" (mapped to \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish)

Now all of your paths should match whether you are on develop or client.
    Show the love! Click (rate this post) under my name if I was helpful.

My CodeBank Submissions: How to create a User Control | Move a form between Multiple Monitors (Screens) | Remove the MDI Client Border | Using Report Viewer with Visual Studio 2012 Express

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by circuits2 View Post
    What I do on my development computer is create a network share and then map the drive using a letter that can be mapped on clients. Then I set the publish and install path using the local drive letter that is mapped, which will be the same path for clients.

For example:

On Development Computer -> Create Network Share: \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish
    On Development Computer -> Map Network Drive "G" (mapped to \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish)
    Set ClickOnce Publish Path to G:\
    Set ClickOnce Install Path to G:\

On Client Computer -> Map Network Drive "G" (mapped to \\pc97\D\Desktop\publish)

Now all of your paths should match whether you are on develop or client.
    I don't think that is path problem,because i checked my publish folder and only Global.XmlSerializers.dll file is not publishing

Frenzied Member

I would say it would appear that even though "Global.XmlSerializers.dll" is set to publish, its either not being published or not in the expected directory that you have setup. Try deleting the debug/release in the /obj/ folder in your project and let VS rebuild it. See if that helps?

Addicted Member

I would say it would appear that even though "Global.XmlSerializers.dll" is set to publish, its either not being published or not in the expected directory that you have setup. Try deleting the debug/release in the /obj/ folder in your project and let VS rebuild it. See if that helps?
    No,this is also not working.All other files are publishing,i don't know whats wrong with "Global.XmlSerializers.dll"!!

Frenzied Member

You could maybe try including it in a new project and see if it publishes correctly? Then you know its definitely the publish option for that project and thats where you will need to focus. Sorry, I know thats a non answer.

Addicted Member

It published when i added reference to it. Files will be published only if we add reference?
    Actually "Global.XmlSerializers.dll" will be created after building of our project.
    Last edited by winman; May 9th, 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Addicted Member

We have a internal application developed using VB.NET. Before we were creating a shortcut of application in all users PCs and we pass argument to shortcut like "D:\desktop\coding_files\bin\Global.exe" ?/?Tasklist?/? where tasklist is a database name we pass as argument to application. Now we are looking forward to use clickone application and i tried to pass argument to clickone application shortcut but it doesn't seems to responded to arguments. Is there an way to do it?What to do?

Frenzied Member

Its because click once uses a .application file and not a typical shortcut.

http://briannoyes.net/2004/08/10/Har...Arguments.aspx

Addicted Member

Its because click once uses a .application file and not a typical shortcut.

http://briannoyes.net/2004/08/10/Har...Arguments.aspx
    You mean there is no way to pass arguments to shortcut?

Addicted Member

Hi,
    I have created a application for passing arguments to clickone application using following code
    Code:
    Imports VB = Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Public Class Form1
        Dim argsToPass As String = VB.Command
        Dim shortcutPath As String = "\\pc127\d\desktop\Global.appref-ms"
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
                   System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(shortcutPath, argsToPass)
        End Sub
    End Class
    And i pass arguments to shortcut of this application.
    I have used this code to receive arguments in clickone application
    Code:
    Dim activationData() As String = AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ActivationArguments.ActivationData
    arg = activationData(0)
    I passed argument like ?/?customer?/? to my initial app and it is receiving as ?\?customer?\? in clickone application(In arg = activationData(0) statement)!!. What made to change / to \ while receiving argument? pls help