Thread: installation path issue in setup file

Frenzied Member

Question installation path issue in setup file

i have made setup file . and during installation , i always want to install my C# application .in programfiles .i
    don't want to install inside C:\Program Files (x86)\ .but when i run the setup and see the path by wright click .When
    it creates shortcut at desktop .it shows always this path C:\Program Files (x86)\ .i have been using 64 bit microprocessor. as well as 64 bit os windows 7 .
    then why it keeps all the installation file inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\ why not C:\Program Files \
    let me know please .any help would be highly appreciated .

Re: installation path issue in setup file

Some folder in windows are marked by windows as special folders. Program Files is just one of them.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Frenzied Member

it is not conviencing Answer . question is something other . question is if we are using 64 bits microprocessor . together with this operating System is also 64 bit as well .normally if program is compiled for 64 bit .it needs to install in c:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files (x86) .so why it is not installing in c:\Program Files folder ?.
    how i will no it is compiled for 64 bit microprocessor ?.

What is the target platform for your project? If it's x86 then your app will be 32-bit and will be installed with the other 32-bit applications. If it's Any CPU then it will still be a 32-bit application if you're using VS 2012 and you have the 'Prefer 32-bit' box checked. Otherwise it should be a 64-bit application on 64-bit systems.

Frenzied Member

Target platform is 64 bit applications .but it is giving following warning message .
    Possible problem detected while building assembly 'Test': Referenced assembly 'mscorlib.dll' targets a different processor Test
    Possible problem detected while building assembly 'Test': Referenced assembly 'System.Data.dll' targets a different processor Test
    Two or more objects have the same target location ('[targetdir]\test.exe') C:\Test\Setup\Setup.vdproj Setup
    Two or more objects have the same target location ('[targetdir]\test.exe') C:\Test\Setup\Setup.vdproj Setup

Is it possible for you to include this line of code in your application?

c# Code:
    1. Console.WriteLine( "SizeOf IntPtr is: {0}", IntPtr.Size );

Please report on the value that the line output!
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by firoz.raj View Post
    Target platform is 64 bit applications
    So, you're saying that the target platform is x64?

Frenzied Member

So, you're saying that the target platform is x64?
    Yes,it is x64 .

Console.WriteLine( "SizeOf IntPtr is: {0}", IntPtr.Size );
    Please report on the value that the line output!
    it is showing 8 .
    Last edited by firoz.raj; May 4th, 2013 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firoz.raj View Post
    Yes,it is x64 .
    For a 64bit operating system the "Program Files" is the default folder (just like it is on the 32bit operating system). However, on the 64bit versions of Windows there is also a folder called "Program Files (x86)"which, is you would install application which are 32bit applications/ made for the 32bit version of the operating system.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Frenzied Member

but why when i build 64 bit Application .why it says the following .
    Target platform is 64 bit applications .but it is giving following warning message .
    Possible problem detected while building assembly 'Test': Referenced assembly 'mscorlib.dll' targets a different processor Test
    Possible problem detected while building assembly 'Test': Referenced assembly 'System.Data.dll' targets a different processor Test

Does the application necessarily need to be a 64bit application? What's wrong with x86?
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.