Thread: [RESOLVED] My Graphics appear upside down?

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] My Graphics appear upside down?

Hey,

I have been playing with the graphics class in vb.net and for some reason everything I draw appears upside down.

Here are the co-ordinates going in

Code:
      g.DrawLine(New Pen(newColor, size), x_loc(k), y_loc(k), x_loc(k + 1), y_loc(k + 1))
                            Console.WriteLine("From: X - " & x_loc(k) & " Y - " & y_loc(k) & " To: X - " & x_loc(k + 1) & " Y - " & y_loc(k + 1))
    This is what I end up with

Name:  DETE.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  5.7 KB

And while typing this I figured out what could be wrong!!

I am guessing my origin for the drawing is set to the top leftcorner of the picture box I am drawing in, is it possible to change the origin to the bottom left corner?
    Last edited by Crzyrio; Apr 25th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Re: My Graphics appear upside down?

In vb.net the way that points work is: imagine for a second two arrows starting at the same location, one going vertically, the other going horizontally. Point(0, 0) would be where the two points meet. If x is anything greater than 0 then you're going to the right, if y is anything greater than 0 then you're going down. Take a look at this picture:
    Name:  point.png
Views: 258
Size:  2.4 KB

So y - 581 to y - 564 will be going from down to up 17 pixels and x - 338 to x - 389 will go left to right 51 pixels.
    Last edited by dday9; Apr 25th, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: 'to arrows' is not the same as 'two arrows'!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

That's not just VB, that's ALL computer graphics. For whatever reason, graphics in computers have always had the origin in the upper left corner. It may be because that is where there onld CRT scan began, but whatever the reason, it has been that way forever. Fighting against the convention is pretty hopeless. One thing you can do is translate all your points, but that would mean a calculation for each point (albeit a very simple one). Easier would be to just recognize that the origin is the upper left corner and live with it. You will notice that all controls work that way, as well.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It may be because that is where there onld CRT scan began
    Well possibly, but more to the point it's not a graph! It's just Western scanning logic. You start a page at the top left corner and progress toward the bottom right. If the Arab world had been at the forefront of electronics it could just as easily be top right that's 0,0 by convention. Lord only knows how we'd have coped if boustrophedon was the predominant reading method though!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    In vb.net the way that points work is: imagine for a second two arrows starting at the same location, one going vertically, the other going horizontally. Point(0, 0) would be where the two points meet. If x is anything greater than 0 then you're going to the right, if y is anything greater than 0 then you're going down. Take a look at this picture:
    Name:  point.png
Views: 258
Size:  2.4 KB

So y - 581 to y - 564 will be going from down to up 17 pixels and x - 338 to x - 389 will go left to right 51 pixels.
    Thanks for the explanation
    I have been trying to figure this out for a while lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's not just VB, that's ALL computer graphics. For whatever reason, graphics in computers have always had the origin in the upper left corner. It may be because that is where there onld CRT scan began, but whatever the reason, it has been that way forever. Fighting against the convention is pretty hopeless. One thing you can do is translate all your points, but that would mean a calculation for each point (albeit a very simple one). Easier would be to just recognize that the origin is the upper left corner and live with it. You will notice that all controls work that way, as well.
    Besides translating all my points, is it possible to flip the image?
    These points are pulled straight from another program that my application talks too.