Thread: 3.5 sp1 > 4.5 ?

3.5 sp1 > 4.5 ?

Hi all,

Just a quick query, im installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on a customer machine , which required .NET Framework 4.5..

Iv now come to install the SQL Management Studio add on and it requires 3.5 SP1?

Just wondering what step I should follow?

Re: 3.5 sp1 > 4.5 ?

I find it very difficult to believe that SQL Server 2008 R2 required .NET 4.5. Even SQL Server 2012 was released before .NET 4.5, so 2008 R2 definitely was. I'm not sure what would have prompted that requirement. If SSMS requires .NET 3.2 SP1 then you should install it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I find it very difficult to believe that SQL Server 2008 R2 required .NET 4.5. Even SQL Server 2012 was released before .NET 4.5, so 2008 R2 definitely was. I'm not sure what would have prompted that requirement. If SSMS requires .NET 3.2 SP1 then you should install it.
    Even I was surprised..

I installled 4.0 as when I ran the installer it required 4.0 or 4.5, I had 4.0 handy on a USB device so I installed that; ran the SQL installer again and it required 4.5 which raised a few questions..

Bizarre. I'm going to test that on a VM and see what happens.

Yeah, I'd be interested in that as well, since that hasn't been my experience. Are you using a clean install pulled right from Microsoft? Is it possible that you've got a wrapped copy that for what ever reason is installing something it shouldn't. to the end, I'm not even sure why SQL Server would require .net... unless you're going to be running CLR SProcs...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *