dcsimg

Thread: SQL2012 Express. Quiet installer appears to remember previous 'bad' command line

Fanatic Member

SQL2012 Express. Quiet installer appears to remember previous 'bad' command line

Very strange.

I've been using INNO to build a script to deploy SQL 2012 Express as a quiet installer - ie install without user interaction. It worked just fine.

But I decided to try a /HIDECONSOLE parameter that i'd read about on msdn. But typed it incorrectly. I gave /HIDECONSOLE=true which is wrong and the installer threw an error. No problem. By then I'd decided that I didn't want that parameter anyway so removed it again.

But now each time I run my installer it throws the error about /HIDECONSOLE even though /HIDECONSOLE is no longer in the script. In fact I can now make any command line errors I want but it still throws that error about /HIDECONSOLE. It's as if setup.exe has remembered the previous bad command line and is now completely ignoring any new commands.

Is there a tmp file where that bad command line is stored ?
    Last edited by IanS; Apr 17th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.

Fanatic Member

Re: SQL2012 Express. Quiet installer appears to remember previous 'bad' command line

After more testing I've decided that it's not remembering the bad command line.

It's remembering the error message.

It remembers the 'first' error message and keeps displaying that even when that error has been cleared.

In my case I had two syntax errors. It picked up the first one and displayed an error message. I fixed the first one by removing the parameter. Setup then got caught on the second error but, for whatever reason, showed the text from the first error message so I spent ages confused by that message text.

I'm going to mark this as resolved and make a mental note that if more than one command line error exists then setup.exe appears to keep showing the 'first error' even after the first error has been fixed until all errors are cleared. In other words it never shows a message for the second/third etc errors.

or something like that.