Thread: Laptop HDD corruption

Laptop HDD corruption

Looks my laptop hdd decided to kick the boot. Left it on went had a nap o the couch for an hour, come back and i get the laptop asking for a boot device.Anyway i pull it apart move it to the other available hdd slot and still isn't recognized. So not sure if i have confirmed it or not but would it definitely be the drive? Anyway it was a Seagate 500gb momentus series with 5400rpm. I am thinking of going to 1tb 5400rpm same series would it have any problems recognizing a different drive? Or might just get the 500gb with shock protection... either way just want to confirm that it is the hdd and not the computer.
    For all your motivational videos and quotes visit - dontstopdreaming.net

Re: Laptop HDD corruption

Just tested the harddrive in an old hp laptop didn't get recognised there either. I guess that pretty much confirms it unless anyone has any other ideas. Also recently reformatted and installed windows 8 on it so have everything backed up on an external so no use try to repair it.

Edit: Tested other hdd in my laptop it was recognised. So most definitely the hdd not the mobo. Sorry if this is starting to sound like a blog lol
    Last edited by SharpCode; Apr 10th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Ok just got a new hdd installed it and put windows 8 on it works fine. Then i shutdown and it done it normally before i heard a little click sound right before it shuts entirely off. This was happening with the old drive once i installed windows 8 on it. But before hand with any other OS it was fine maybe a very small click but nothing as obvious as this. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Edit: its not super loud or making any sort of scratching sound. More like a little click/pop then its off.

Were you able to retrieve the files of the hard drive? You might be able to find software that will allow you to retrieve the files on the drive even though it appears inaccessible, my dad did this with an old external hard drive I had.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by SharpCode View Post
    Ok just got a new hdd installed it and put windows 8 on it works fine. Then i shutdown and it done it normally before i heard a little click sound right before it shuts entirely off. This was happening with the old drive once i installed windows 8 on it. But before hand with any other OS it was fine maybe a very small click but nothing as obvious as this. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Edit: its not super loud or making any sort of scratching sound. More like a little click/pop then its off.
    That's the sound of the HDD turning off as the system cuts the power... the loudness of the clikc varies from HDD to HDD and system - my Lenovo is fairly quiet about it... but it has more "padding" than my Acer, where the sound is a bit more obvious.

To piggy back on Nightwalker's suggestion... I had something similar happen... it no longer boot no matter what system I put it in. As a last ditch effort I bought an extern conversion kit, dropped the drive into it, attached the USB cable... I now have a perfectly functioning external 500Gb external drive. It's just for what ever reason the boot sectors got corrupted. So even if it doesn't boot, it might still be usable.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

i've had three seagate 500 drives fail on me (3 1/2 inch models) with that exact same problem. No longer recognized. the last RMA they sent me a terabyte drive back. I haven't had any more problems with the new drive, although i was so paranoid that this time i am using it for data and booting from a smaller drive.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell