dcsimg

Thread: New To HTTPS Programming

Hybrid View

Addicted Member

New To HTTPS Programming

Hi friends

most of projects I have done was running locally, some of them went online. Now I have to make a new application but they want to install a certificate and encrypt data using SSL.

Is there special things I have to take in mind, whether they want the login pages secured only or whole pages.

Thank you

Addicted Member

Re: New To HTTPS Programming

Hey guys

Hi,
    sites that are not with high rate of possible attacks , doesnt need to have the whole pages to come with ssl , some do like paypal , if your customer just having a site like an ads site , my opinion is just use https only for those pages that are important such as login page , i guess you know already that using ssl will take a little bit longer for the site to comes up and those sites that has enough things to load the ssl is the last thing that you wanna add in it, although some people got some fast internet that wouldnt mind , but you have to always think about the worst case.

Hi fjober,

Is there any reason they only want to use SSL on specific pages? If the reason is CPU load, I can tell you that nowadays the performance hit is minimal for SSL. When you don't use SSL across the entire website, session hijacking is as easy as pie.

Also something to consider is the configuration of the web server. Some hosts have separate directories for server HTTP and HTTPS traffic, while others route both to a single directory.

On the side of HTML, JS and CSS you need to make sure the resources are loaded through HTTPS if you're on a HTTPS page, otherwise browsers will tell you that you have insecure content on a secure page. The easiest way to make sure this happens, is to use "//mysite.com/myresources.js" instead of "http://mysite.com/myresources.js" or "https://mysite.com/myresources.js". Your browser will automatically select the proper channel in that case.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Addicted Member

mmm

Thanks guys

now I understand that I should design and program my application as usual, then install the certificate (which is a single txt file) in cPanel and everything would be fine ^_^

Thanks