Thread: Best Database Choice? (easiest to use, distribute etc)

Best Database Choice? (easiest to use, distribute etc)

I have access.. but know that its prone to corruption etc..

MySQL is installed, but i started thinking there might be a better solution?
    MS SQL Express?
    SQLLite?

I just need to be able to install it locally without much hassle and be able to move database (structure and data) to another machine when done

IM thinking MS Sql since VS is their 'baby' they might play well together...

thanks!
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

Re: Best Database Choice? (easiest to use, distribute etc)

The great advantage of Access is that it can be handled entirely from within a VB program and requires another user to install nothing at all. SQL Express is still a server based system so it requires not only installation but also attaching to any new database. It feels like a lot to ask of someone just to run your program.
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

SQL Express LocalDB does not require a server install...
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

But you're still installing a serer service... it may not be a full-blown server install, but SQL Express is still SQL Server at heart...

Now... SQL Server Compact Edition (SQLCE).... 7 dlls deployed and an SDF file later you have all you need. Don't even need to register the DLLs...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

... ok i dont see that?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlse...s/express.aspx

and.. should i stay away from tableadapters?
    I was testing out the LocalDB and i cant figure out how to use it without a tableadapter...

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    I have access.. but know that its prone to corruption etc..

MySQL is installed, but i started thinking there might be a better solution?
    MS SQL Express?
    SQLLite?

I just need to be able to install it locally without much hassle and be able to move database (structure and data) to another machine when done

IM thinking MS Sql since VS is their 'baby' they might play well together...

thanks!
    If it were me, I would use access based on the information. Access would make it real easy to move your data to another machine or a shared drive, you simply copy the file. Using Access (but not only limited to access in .net) as a back-end you can bind your controls to the database data with a few clicks or design a pure .net front end. No installing SQL, no problems. I don't think corruption is *THAT* big of a deal, especially if you split the forms out of the front end (or make a .net front end). As well, access will let you design SQL statements or create your own using their UI, which you can then use in VB.net (if you dont know how to code SQL). You should always run backups though as any sane DB admin should do.

I briefly tried out SQL Server, the above link is nothing, say, like access. You get an admin panel front end, and SQL runs as a server service locally on your computer. Ive used table adapters before, and they work fine. Table Adapters are used with the designer and data adapters for coding IIRC
    Last edited by jayinthe813; Apr 4th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    It's there in the fine print. You still have run it alongside your application so there still some overhead which Access doesn't require.

and.. should i stay away from tableadapters?
    I was testing out the LocalDB and i cant figure out how to use it without a tableadapter...
    Why would you avoid adapters? You've not bought into the hype about Entity Framework I hope. That way madness lies (and I mean that literally!!!)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

lol its hard .. you hear so many different sides. But im starting to think that if tableadapters were really that bad, MS would have taken them out. so...

I think i will continue to try the SQL Local DB.. its seems to run faster than access did, and i know it will pull a little overhead but the pc will be running this app... and... email.. maybe facebook lol