Thread: how to store and retrieve an image to an sql image field

Lively Member

Question how to store and retrieve an image to an sql image field

Hi All,

I want to store an image to SQL Server 2005. I don't wan't to store the image path, i wanna store the image as it is. If anybody has an idead please share it with me.

Re: how to store and retrieve an image to an sql image field

Have a look at this which is from RhinoBull, it is in Access but it should be usable with SQL Server also.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Lively Member

Thanks for the reply dee-u.
    But i've a question. in that eg u used OLE Data as datatype to store the image. In SQL what Datatype should i use for this. And, if i use image or varbinary(MAX) datatype will this work correctly?

Yes, I believe that is what you should use in SQL Server now.
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

PowerPoster

Don't say "SQL" if you mean "SQL Server" since nearly every RDBMS uses SQL queries.

From the MSDN Library CD (online Help) that comes with VB6:

Intermediate Microsoft Jet SQL for Access 2000
    The OLEOBJECT data types

The OLEOBJECT data types are used to store large binary objects such as Word documents or Excel spreadsheets. The number of bytes is not specified, and the maximum size is 2.14 gigabytes. Its synonyms are IMAGE, LONGBINARY, GENERAL, and OLEOBJECT.
    I can't find a table mapping Jet data types to SQL Server data types right now but the odds are very good that you have chosen the right type.

PowerPoster

According to this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc917602.aspx the equivalent to 'OLE Object' in Access is 'Image' in SQL Server. (as Dilettante's Post suggests)

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    According to this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc917602.aspx the equivalent to 'OLE Object' in Access is 'Image' in SQL Server. (as Dilettante's Post suggests)
    According to MSDN, image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server so its safer to use varbinary(MAX).
    Regards,

PowerPoster

That's good of them ! I should have noted the Date on the link I posted (2004).

So all those poor souls who heeded the 'advice' in 2004 are going to be stuffed if / when they want to migrate to a future version of SQL Server. Do Microsoft have any idea of how the real world works?

I'm struggling to think why they'd ever want to remove a data type once it's been established - is there some sort of major overhead in 'supporting' it from their point of view?

PowerPoster

I'm guessing some of those "types" are just source-level synonyms for each other anyway just as in Jet.

The odds of the deprecated synonyms actually going away is probably small. Still, you never know. Microsoft isn't the company it used to be.