Thread: Code tags

Fanatic Member

Code tags

Moderators, can you add the code tags(#) to the quick reply to post?

Re: Code tags

Strange that they are not there! Where they there before they upgraded the forum software? I remember sometimes along those lines.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

They were there before the upgrade, and have not been added back. I assume this was something of a custom hack (as opposed to the moderator hack), which is why they haven't been replaced. I'd like to see them back, though.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Had to be some custom code, this site and Code Guru share much in common but Code Guru never had the # option in the quick reply even before the upgrade.

Would be nice to have them back, I don't mind typing them but having them there helps get some people to use them who may not otherwise

I too would like to see it back in Quick Reply.
    It's a tad of a nuisance to have to Go Advanced to only add them by clicking on #

BTW, there have been several recent threads in Forum Feedback, and Brad Jones
    has been quite the no-show.

Boo ,, he used to pipe in rather quickly.

Actually, as far as I know, on this particular subject he has always been silent.

However, the guy doesn't always pop-in to comment on things. There have been a few things that he was on top of, and a few things that he has never gotten his hands dirty with, so current events don't surprise me.

This past week I took a vacation. I turned off the work computer, which is something I generally haven't done in the past.

Additionally, I don't have as many people helping me internally as I used to. As such, I don't have as much time as I used to. Additionally, the moderators used to be better at hounding me a bit on the topics that were critical. We've actually pulled on a couple of people that can help with some of the requests you guys are making, but like everything, it is a matter of priorities.

The # button on the quick reply seems "low priority" to me since all it does is add tags. That takes about two seconds for a person to type on a slow day. Adding things like the "rate this post" text seemed like a higher priority since it was something that was hard to figure out if you were a newbie.

I can look at adding the # button to the quick reply; however, we are looking to upgrade this forum (if it didn't happen while I was on vacation). We want to see if the newer version helps with some of the speed issues. If we hack in the # button before then, it could go away again.

If you think I've not responded to something that needs attention, then hound the mods and me. If the mods bring up an issue in their private forum, then there are a couple of us that will see those requests.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Brad

Nice to have you back
    Thanks for the info.

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    This past week I took a vacation. I turned off the work computer, which is something I generally haven't done in the past.
    You need more practice. Let me tell you the way I do it: Disappear into the woods for weeks on end. I couldn't be connected even if I wanted to (though, if I could run VS on a tablet....)

The # button on the quick reply seems "low priority" to me since all it does is add tags. That takes about two seconds for a person to type on a slow day.
    I don't have slow days, so it takes me more like five second.

Adding things like the "rate this post" text seemed like a higher priority since it was something that was hard to figure out if you were a newbie.
    And, WOW did THAT ever work!! Almost as soon as you turned that on I received six grey gems in short order. However, it feels like the number of green gen reps I received also spiked upwards, so I'm not sure that the difference can solely be attributed to new folks.

Thanks for all the work, though.

Shaggy

Here's a greenie for ya.
    Now, go take a hike.

I wish I could, but this is the time of year to accrue leave. There's too much snow in the mountains for summer hiking, and too little for winter hiking. One more month, though...

Are you in on the snow-maggedon happening in Denver and the Dakotas?

Nope. Nothing but rain in the valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    however, we are looking to upgrade this forum (if it didn't happen while I was on vacation). We want to see if the newer version helps with some of the speed issues.
    Thanks to the last experience, anytime I see the word "upgrade" I get pains and cramps.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I'm rather hopeful, this time. It's kind of like the Microsoft model: Always wait for the first patch, then it will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm rather hopeful, this time. It's kind of like the Microsoft model: Always wait for the first patch, then it will be ok.
    More like the next generation of Windows.

Win 95

Win 98

Win Me

Win Xp

Win Vista

Win7
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Okay, the "can we add the # button to the quick reply" item has bounced around for a long time now. It comes down to requiring a code change to do this. As you know, we try to avoid too many code changes because they tend to get lost when we do upgrades. I was once again given this push back as well. I looked at the code and tried to make a simple change to get this to work - but it didn't work...

I was going to make the argument with our tech team that this is a coding forum, so it was very important. Another person commented that the button is in the advanced reply so just go advanced....

It comes down to this... The quick reply is for quick replies. If you get to the point where you are adding code and need to format it with the code tag, then you likely have moved beyond the "quick" and are into a standard reply. If you feel this is not the case, you can still manually enter the tag.

I'm actually surprised that vBulletin didn't set up a way to add or remove buttons from the quick reply dialog in a configured, system manner.

Bottom line. I'm going to say that this change isn't going to happen at this time.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Brad

Sorry to hear, but well explained.

Spoo