Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

Re: Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

Just started following this thread.
    Man, how ugly can you get !!

Kinda makes you wish a few coders from Microsoft would periodically
    lurk in VBForums to get a heads-up on open issues like this one.

Good news for Win8:

Installed Win8 Pro x86 on VMware Desktop.
    Installed Vb6 - Controls run OK.
    Installed Vb6SP6b - Controls run OK including MSCOMCTL.OCX.
    Installed CyberActiveX UniSuitePlus - Controls run OK.
    Installed Hexagora Unicode controls and classes - Controls run OK.

Note: MSCOMCTL.OCX is v2.0 both before/after installing Vb6SP6

As far as I can see there are no IE10 issues with Vb6 using Win8.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnicode View Post
    This part seems odd, but I trust you to know what you're looking for.

Was 2.1 present prior to trying to install VB6 at all on Win8?

Consistent with almost every report I've seen (aside from post #40 here?) as well.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Spoo View Post
    Just started following this thread.
    Man, how ugly can you get !!

Kinda makes you wish a few coders from Microsoft would periodically
    lurk in VBForums to get a heads-up on open issues like this one.
    Conveniently enough there isn't any place to report these things to Microsoft now either aside from leaving comments on related MS KB articles. Those are probably not read by anyone with authority to bump them to anybody who could help.

Since it seems to be related to installing IE10 on Win7, perhaps Microsoft's IE forums as in:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-1c90dff9b36b

But... does the IE Team care?

Was 2.1 present prior to trying to install VB6 at all on Win8?
    I didn't think to look but this link says MSCOMCTL.OCX falls under "Supported Runtime Files to Distribute with Your Application" so I read that to mean that it is not installed with the OS.
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

While I have v2.1 on my main development machine I have no idea when it got updated or what update installed it.

It is only v2.0 on the 2 Win7 and 1 Win8 machines running on VMware Desktop with just the Vb6 install + SP6.
    I checked the registry to confirm this:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}

Addicted Member

After installing an OS in VMWD I always take a snapshot to have as a clean slate, in case I need to go back, so just checked an Win8 doesn't come with any MSCOMCTL.OCX, doing updates now to see if it changes anywhere up to today, but it takes some time so will report back when I have the result.
    M$ vs. VB6 = The biggest betrayal and strategic mistake of the century!?

I looked at the dates of the files.. the files were added by my installer. maybe they are installed incorrectly... or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 7edm View Post
    After installing an OS in VMWD I always take a snapshot to have as a clean slate, in case I need to go back, so just checked an Win8 doesn't come with any MSCOMCTL.OCX, doing updates now to see if it changes anywhere up to today, but it takes some time so will report back when I have the result.

Addicted Member

After applying all updates to a clean install of W8 there is still no mscomctl.ocx or mscomctl2.ocx present, so I think it's safe to say that W8 or IE10 by themselves don't bring in any update of these controls. My wild guess is that there might be an update causing this in case another program already present and that probably has to be a MS one.

And for MS to "fix" this I would keep the hope and expectation level at approx. 0, unless it coincide with something else that is part of their current ball park. Somewhere I keep a small flame of hope burning that they one day will get a new Top Dog that realize the huge mistake done with VB6 - and have the guts to correct it!

Addicted Member

I installed an older version of my program in clean W8 and it installs these files:
    mscomctl.ocx
    file version: 6.1.98.34
    prod version: 6.01.9834
    Date modified 6/6 2012 8:59 PM

mscomctl2.ocx
    file version: 6.1.98.16
    prod version: 6.01.9816
    Date modified 3/4 2009 11:52 AM
    After a full wu update, including IE10 updates, they are still the same and my program have no problem to run, also after updating it to latest release. My program also uses CyberActiveX UniSuitePlus btw although due to other problems I am not using the latest release update.

I am pretty sure that the toolbar with the imagelist controls are causing the problem in my application.. good to know that some VB programs are running in Win8 & IE10

Another rare thing as said in :
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...on-controls%29

Try changing date to 30th march of 2013 and try opening vb6 ide. Common controls works again.

Changing date to present day, "Common controls" doesn't work.

Try changing date to 30th march of 2013 and try opening vb6 ide. Common controls works again.
    I tried this and it did not work.
    Unless this person was referring to a restore point to a date before IE10 installation I seriously doubt that this would work.

This is from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx
    Pretty much confirms that MSCOMCTL.OCX and several other Vb6 components are not installed on Win7 or Win8.
    They get installed when you install Vb6 or via an installer for an application that uses these controls.
    Some major Vb6 apps that may install these are Malwarebytes, IBackup, and IDrive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Yes, they should only be installed by applications (or of course by installing development tools like VB6 that use them).

The question is really what happens when they are present and then IE10 gets installed. Maybe it isn't IE10 at all but some other patch that gets installed at the same time?

I am including mscomctl.ocx and msconct2.ocx yet app does not run 372 error.

has anyone looked at this:
    http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/201...x-has-changed/
    Last edited by wjkssmd; Apr 8th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.

PowerPoster

Is this the error you see?

Runtime Error: 372 - Failed to load control

<controlName> from <control.ocx>.Your version of <control.ocx> may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
    If so you may have installed the OCXs incorrectly. See Runtime error '372': Failed to load control when running a Visual Basic 6.0 Application.

I tried this and it did not work.
    Unless this person was referring to a restore point to a date before IE10 installation I seriously doubt that this would work.
    In my windows 7 SP1 64 bits, spanish version with mscomctl.ocx version 6.1.98.34 dated 6/6/2012 , mscomct2.ocx version 6.1.98.16 dated 24/3/2009 and "Visual Basic 6 SP6 IDE". "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 SP6" and "Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0 SP6" works in IDE with date 30/3/2013. With today date isn't working. I've IE10 version 10.0.9200.16521
    "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 SP2" (comctl32.ocx) , "Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 5.0 SP2" (comct232.ocx) and "Microsoft Windows Common Controls-3 6.0 SP5" (comct332.ocx) works in any date.
    In any date all compiled programs that are using mscomctl.ocx and/or mscomct2.ocx works ok.
    Last edited by dhernandez; Apr 9th, 2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: grammatically wrong. parts missing

A lot of this seems similar to this later post...

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-control-class

I'm on Windows 7 32 bit. I had installed MicroSoft Office 2010 before I left yesterday. All I looked at this morning was trying to get projects that worked yesterday to come up today, which I did. I haven't tested further han that.

Smile Re: Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

The problem has been resolved by running the following in elevated command prompt:

cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
    regtlib msdatsrc.tlb

I hope this helps.

Good news for Win8:

Installed Win8 Pro x86 on VMware Desktop.
    Installed Vb6 - Controls run OK.
    Installed Vb6SP6b - Controls run OK including MSCOMCTL.OCX.
    Installed CyberActiveX UniSuitePlus - Controls run OK.
    Installed Hexagora Unicode controls and classes - Controls run OK.

How about the mouse wheel, does it work under Win8 or you had to install the mouse wheel fix?

Did you try to install MZTools?
    Lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths
    If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood...
    To do is to be (Descartes). To be is to do (Sartre). To be do be do (Sinatra)

MouseWheel works in Vb6 IDE OK on Win8 using VbScroll from this link:
    We have been using VbScroll since 2004 on various OS.
    http://www.gasanov.net/VBScroll.asp

MZTools also works OK here on Win8 Vb6-SP6.

It has solved my problem.
    VB6 IDE working again.
    Thank you.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    The problem has been resolved by running the following in elevated command prompt:

regtlib msdatsrc.tlb

I hope this helps.
    I can affirm that this solution worked for me.
    got back from a 3 week holiday (which started before march 31), updated my Windows 7 ultimate x64 with the latest patched and installed IE10 (through Windows update), only to find out that I got a 'File not Found' when I started my project which had MSCOMCTL.OCX and MSCOMCT2.OCX, searched the internet, tried reregistering those, but still got the same error.. then I read about it working if you change the date to something before 1 april, tried that and it did work again, reset the date to today and it didn't work anymore. Then I tried the suggestion made by Auto and everything worked again.. so Thanx Auto, you saved the day

Hello first time thanks to Auto users, how can you come up with something
    For me it worked perfectly works only until Regtlib.exe means to me regtlibv12.exe
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post

regtlib msdatsrc.tlb

I hope this helps.
    Thanks this fixed it for me - My problem was nothing to do with IE10 - it has been working fine on Window7 64 bit with IE10 installed then when I installed a video capture package my earlier programs would not load. I tried for several hours to fix it then resorted to Google and found your fix which works. Question how did you find the solution?

Thanks

Jon

As I reported in post #21 I solved the problem by uninstalling IE10 from the Win7 32 bit machine.

Now I'm facing a different problem. I have an application I have so far been developing under WinXP. Then I took the project to a Win7 64 bit machine and it complained about mscomctl and comdlg so I used elevated command prompt to unregister and re-register these controls and the problem was solved.

But then, I worked on the project on that machine, made some changes and saved them. FInally I transferred the project back to the original XP machine and it began to complain again. I couldn't solve it by the same method as above, at the moment I don't know what to do.

But the main concern is, if I can solve it, what can I do to avoid running into all this trouble every time I work on a different OS?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by krtxmrtz View Post
    But the main concern is, if I can solve it, what can I do to avoid running into all this trouble every time I work on a different OS?
    It's propably because Windows 7 got a newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX (2.1) which I guess isn't available on XP (Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX)
    I noticed it when I updated a while ago.. before that it was always 2.0..

There really isn't a way to work around it, just don't use different OSses or make sure you've got the same version of the components used on all the OSses you use (so remote desktop, or virtual machines are propably the way to go)..
    BTW this is only for when you are developing, a project compiled with 2.1 seems to work just fine on XP (at least I haven't heard of any problems with our customers).

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDre View Post
    It's propably because Windows 7 got a newer version of MSCOMCTL.OCX (2.1) which I guess isn't available on XP (Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX)
    I noticed it when I updated a while ago.. before that it was always 2.0..

There really isn't a way to work around it, just don't use different OSses or make sure you've got the same version of the components used on all the OSses you use (so remote desktop, or virtual machines are propably the way to go)..
    BTW this is only for when you are developing, a project compiled with 2.1 seems to work just fine on XP (at least I haven't heard of any problems with our customers).
    Well, I edited the project file with notepad, changed 2.1 to 2.0 and bingo! No complaints this time.

Now all that's left to do is edit the file and set it back to 2.1 before I open it under Win7/64 and if it works with no further ado, maybe add a scipt or something to automatically make the appropriate change according to the current OS.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by krtxmrtz View Post
    Well, I edited the project file with notepad, changed 2.1 to 2.0 and bingo! No complaints this time.

Now all that's left to do is edit the file and set it back to 2.1 before I open it under Win7/64 and if it works with no further ado, maybe add a scipt or something to automatically make the appropriate change according to the current OS.
    no real need to edit the file before opening it in win7, it will do that automatically (at least I still have files checked in which have 2.0) and they compile just the same (even if the project itself has it at 2.1).. but going back to XP you'll propably have to do it with a script..

Some major Vb6 apps that may install these are Malwarebytes, IBackup, and IDrive.
    Wait a min....IDrive is written in VB6 ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Wait a min....IDrive is written in VB6 ?
    The legacy versions of both IBackup and IDrive (v 3.4.1) were written in Vb6.
    I know this for a fact because they licensed our Unicode control suite.
    You can use Spy++ to see what controls are being used in the current version.
    I believe the most recent versions are .Net.

Okay, I have been working on this for days. I have registered MSCOMCTL.OCX naad received a message that it was registered, however VB6 would not recognize that it was registered. After reading and trying all the suggestions on this forum and others, I remembered vaguely that last year I had a similar problem and solved it by uninstalling MS Internet Explorer version 10. Finally, I work up, and uninstalled the new MS Internet Explorer version 11.1 and then uninstalled version 10 which was under that. Then, I reinstalled VB6 and everything worked perfectly. There is certainly a problem with the compatibility of VB6 and the newer versions of Internet Explorer. Save yourself some problems, if you have this problem, uninstall Internet Explorer... I am using version 9 of I.E. and it's just fine.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by ZapVolt View Post
    Okay, I have been working on this for days. I have registered MSCOMCTL.OCX naad received a message that it was registered, however VB6 would not recognize that it was registered. After reading and trying all the suggestions on this forum and others, I remembered vaguely that last year I had a similar problem and solved it by uninstalling MS Internet Explorer version 10. Finally, I work up, and uninstalled the new MS Internet Explorer version 11.1 and then uninstalled version 10 which was under that. Then, I reinstalled VB6 and everything worked perfectly. There is certainly a problem with the compatibility of VB6 and the newer versions of Internet Explorer. Save yourself some problems, if you have this problem, uninstall Internet Explorer... I am using version 9 of I.E. and it's just fine.
    Working on several machines, I discover that:
    1. only Internet Explorer 10 cause the problem.
    2. Using IE11 work good (by now)

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    Working on several machines, I discover that:
    1. only Internet Explorer 10 cause the problem.
    2. Using IE11 work good (by now)
    Hello all,

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm experiencing the similar issues with VB6-SP6, namely that I maintain/create automated test system apps in VB6 on WinXP-32bit machines, but I work off line with either Win7-32Bit (which works OK - at work), but doesn't with Win7-64 bit at home (with the "Library Not Registered" problem). I currently have IE11 installed.

I don't go too crazy with the controls, but I almost always use the "Rich Textbox Control 6.0 (SP6)", which is one of those indispensable controls.

Before I go and disable IE11 (it's no longer an UN-installable app, but a Windows "feature") any insight would be much appreciated. In fact, I'm assuming that disabling the IE11 "feature" isn't really going to help.

Thanks,
    Bill

Name:  IE11.jpg
Views: 18321
Size:  67.6 KB

gibra

Maybe it also depends on the installation.
    On windows 7 64bit installation standards in some is not completely correct, on Windows 7 32bit there are no problems (but honestly I've only tried as a test).
    For your information: I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1, Internet Explorer 11 and I have installed VB6 with my VS6.0 Installer tool (see my sign) and everything works perfectly.

Maybe it also depends on the installation.
    On windows 7 64bit installation standards in some is not completely correct, on Windows 7 32bit there are no problems (but honestly I've only tried as a test).
    For your information: I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1, Internet Explorer 11 and I have installed VB6 with my VS6.0 Installer tool (see my sign) and everything works perfectly.
    Hello gibra,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try your installer tool and get back to you.

Ciao

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6560 View Post
    Hello gibra,
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll try your installer tool and get back to you.
    Before to use VS6.0 Installer:
    Caution: my tool work with VS6.0/VB6.0 Professional or Enterprise editions, doesn't work with Standard Edition
    If you have PE or EE then you can use VS6.0 Installer.
    - Uninstall Visual Studio/ Visual Basic 6.0
    - ensure to clean your pc after removed:
    --- delete ALL folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
    --- delete ALL nodes in Registry related to Visual Basic.

If you have questions about my tool, ask help in my forum (where you download it)

Before to use VS6.0 Installer:
    Caution: my tool work with VS6.0/VB6.0 Professional or Enterprise editions, doesn't work with Standard Edition
    If you have PE or EE then you can use VS6.0 Installer.
    - Uninstall Visual Studio/ Visual Basic 6.0
    - ensure to clean your pc after removed:
    --- delete ALL folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
    --- delete ALL nodes in Registry related to Visual Basic.

If you have questions about my tool, ask help in my forum (where you download it)
    Hello gibra,

Yes, I have VB6 Pro.

I fully uninstalled VB6 and MSDN. I also ran CCleaner to flush out the registry of any loose VS ends. Now, I got as far as the copying (preparing) VB6-Pro, and MSDN, but when it came to SP6, I got the following error message:
    Name:  VB6 installer error.jpg
Views: 21684
Size:  42.1 KB

Thanks,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill6560 View Post
    Hello gibra,

Yes, I have VB6 Pro.

I fully uninstalled VB6 and MSDN. I also ran CCleaner to flush out the registry of any loose VS ends. Now, I got as far as the copying (preparing) VB6-Pro, and MSDN, but when it came to SP6, I got the following error message:
    Name:  VB6 installer error.jpg
Views: 21684
Size:  42.1 KB

Thanks,
    Bill
    Here's the list of the files for SP6:

Volume in drive F is Apps 1
    Volume Serial Number is AE92-8654

Directory of F:\Program Files (x86)\ROOT\3SP6_VBPro

03/24/2014 01:14 AM <DIR> .
    03/24/2014 01:14 AM <DIR> ..
    06/13/2000 10:29 AM 371,200 acmsetup.exe