Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

For some reason I am no longer able to open my current project in VB6. When I try to load it I'm now getting the error message "object library not registered". The control causing the problem is Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) mscomctl.ocx. The file date/time stamp is: 1,046 KB 15/04/2005 8:58 PM. I'm wondering if some recent program installation or windows update has caused this problem by updating the .ocx file.

Based on other posts regarding this problem here is what I've tried so far. (Operating system is Windows 7 64-bit)

1. Opened a command prompt (run as administrator)
    2. I changed directory to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    3. Unregistered the control using the command "regsvr32 /U mscomctl.ocx" (successful)
    4. Re-Registered using the command "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" (successful)
    5. Opened a new project in VB6 and tried to add Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) but
    as soon as I click "Apply" I still get the error "object library not registered"

If I edit the project file (of the project that no longer loads) with notepad the reference to mscomctl is:

Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; mscomctl.ocx

but I'm not able to tell if the project file is referencing the proper version of the control.

I could try system restore but I have no idea what update may have caused the problem and my restore points only go back about 20 days. Sure hope someone has some ideas for me. This project was previously compiled and distributed online so unless I can solve this problem I guess there won't be any future updates.

Thanks,

Dave W

Re: Windows 7 64-bit -- Library Not Registered problem

Have you tried deleting the mscomctl.oca file that resides in the same directory as mscomctl.ocx?
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Yes, I have deleted the mscomctl.oca file and I still get the error if I try to add this control to a new project.

PowerPoster

You always run as Administrator?

Yes, always

PowerPoster

The question actually was "Do you always run the IDE elevated?"

Just logging on as a user in the Administrators group is not enough.

PowerPoster

There was a patch to some versions of Office a while back that caused this grief for some VB6 users. For all I know some other recent Win7 patch did the same thing.

They changed this OCX and went from version 2.0 of the COM binary interface to version 2.1. If you have a faulty setting in your Project this can cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Make sure you have this Upgrade Controls option checked:
    Name:  sshot.png
Views: 109153
Size:  7.0 KB

You can also look in the .VBP file for this line:

NoControlUpgrade=1

If it is there use Notepad to delete the line. Then save the .VBP file and try opening in the IDE again.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The question actually was "Do you always run the IDE elevated?"

Just logging on as a user in the Administrators group is not enough.
    Thanks for the explanation that I should of included!

I checked the project properties and the "Upgrade ActiveX Controls" option is checked. What I find confusing is that even if I create a brand new project and try to add the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) I still get the error, which makes me think the problem is not being caused by my existing project. I've tried searching for other copies of mscomctl.ocx but so far I haven't found any. I'll try disabling UAC and try the search again.

Have you recently upgraded to IE 10?
    I have had 2 customers recently that lost registration of several Vb6 controls after upgrading to IE 10?
    One customer fixed this by uninstalling IE 10.
    You could also try using RegSvr as Admin (Elevated) to register mscomctl.ocx.

BTW. On my Win7-SP1 x64 machine it is:
    Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Mar 30th, 2013 at 07:21 PM.

PowerPoster

The Office break and its resolution is covered in:

Security Update MS12-060 Impairs Functionality of Access Database

An IE10 break can probably be fixed using the same directions. But you'll still want your existing Projects to have the Upgrade Controls option checked.

From OleView, current version is 2.1:

// Generated .IDL file (by the OLE/COM Object Viewer)
    //
    // typelib filename: MSCOMCTL.OCX

[
    uuid(831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1),
    version(2.1),
    helpstring("Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)"),
    helpfile("cmctl198.chm"),
    helpcontext(0x00033450)
    ]
    library MSComctlLib

From the registry I can see both 2.0 and 2.1

Name:  MSCOMCTL.png
Views: 102748
Size:  43.0 KB

Also see:
    Common controls do not load in VB6 after IE10 installation
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-1c90dff9b36b
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Mar 30th, 2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: More info

PowerPoster

Yes, but the question that brings up is "Does the new version support both the old and new interface versions (2.0 and 2.1)?"

I suspect not since you didn't see both in the typelib information.

It looks like the IE10/Office versions of this OCX got registered without unregistering the old version first.

Not a good idea but I have the same mess even without manually registering this library (which I've never had to do). I'm on Vista SP2 and have the new version but the actual file's date is 5/2/2012 (May 2nd), version 6.1.98.34. Perhaps an Office patch did this on my machine.

Vista didn't get an IE10 otherwise I might have the newer date but I haven't checked a Win7 system to see if the file version is newer there after IE10 installs.

PowerPoster

i have ie10 installed on my win7 64bit laptop and so far no errors at all with any additional controls or common controls. I still hate ie10 and probably going to go back to ie9

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    I checked the project properties and the "Upgrade ActiveX Controls" option is checked. What I find confusing is that even if I create a brand new project and try to add the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) I still get the error, which makes me think the problem is not being caused by my existing project. I've tried searching for other copies of mscomctl.ocx but so far I haven't found any. I'll try disabling UAC and try the search again.
    I'm having the same problem, only I'm working with the 32 bit version of Windows 7. I have tried everything that's been suggested in this thread and including the provided links but no luck.

Have you finally solved it?
    Lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths
    If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood...
    To do is to be (Descartes). To be is to do (Sartre). To be do be do (Sinatra)

I've tried about everything that's been suggested, and so far no luck.

- Using elevated command prompt to unregister and re-register mscomctl.ocx
    - deleting the registry key, re-boot, register again, the problem remains

Further checking this morning reveals that mscomct2.ocx (Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0 (SP6) is also producing the same error if I try to add it to a new VB6 Project. So both mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx are not properly registered. Does this point to any other things to check? Should I try reloading VB Service Pack 6 again? Although it makes no sense that both these controls would suddenly become corrupted.

Dave W

Here are a couple of screen shots from RegDLLView showing mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx as they are on my system. Posted in the hope that someone may see a problem.

Name:  RegDLLView2.jpg
Views: 104930
Size:  307.6 KB
    -
    Name:  RegDLLView1.jpg
Views: 104956
Size:  487.0 KB

Thanks,

Dave W
    Last edited by DaveW; Apr 1st, 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Sorry about the size

Reproduced the problem here using VMware Desktop Win7-SP1 x86 and sure enough it causes MSCOMCTL.OCX to not load in IDE after upgrading to IE10.
    Tried RegSvr32 elevated and no help.
    Uninstalled IE10 and it is now working OK again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank You DrUnicode! That was the cure! I have uninstalled IE10 and everything is back to normal now. I've changed my Windows Update settings to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to dowmload and install them." When the IE10 update comes up again I'll hide it so I won't be continually reminded to update it.

Once again, sincerely, thanks to everyone, all your help and advise was much appreciated.

Dave W

PowerPoster

This is still an issue for any serious VB6 developer.

For one thing eventually they'll have to move off Vista which is the last version of Windows Microsoft ever said supported VB6 development. IE10 can't be resisted forever, IE9 has some serious problems.

For another they need to worry about Win7 as a deployment target in the wild. They can't just tell users they have to uninstall IE10 to run their programs. It also seems as if anyone who gets the new version registered and compiles against it will produce applications that won't work on pre-IE10 systems (Win7, Viasta, XP, and on down).

There doesn't seem to be anything authoritative to tell us what's going on. And from the posts made here I'm not sure we know when this problem occurs and when it doesn't.

Some say previously built programs still run Ok. Others claim uninstalling IE10 makes IDE development work again. Still others are seeing no problems at all even with IE10 installed.

According to those giant screenshots above the two libraries shown there seem to be registered, but with the original (2.0) interfaces. I assume this is leftover registration from the original libraries.

It sounds like the IE10 install copies over the 2.0 libraries with 2.1 libraries but fails to properly unregister the old 2.0 interfaces or register the new 2.1 interfaces in the process.

This is a problem if true. When you break binary compatibility like this it can have serious consequences such as those we're seeing described here. Normally you are supposed to make a new library (with a new file name) much as ADO did in its early revisions. or else you do as was done with ADO later on, i.e. make a new library with the same file name but that implements all of the older interfaces and then you provide separate .TLB files describing the older interfaces and pointing to the new .OCX/.DLL file.

Of course the low-ball coders Microsoft uses for support these days also caused a huge ADO mess with Win7 SP1.
    Last edited by dilettante; Apr 1st, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnicode View Post
    Reproduced the problem here using VMware Desktop Win7-SP1 x86 and sure enough it causes MSCOMCTL.OCX to not load in IDE after upgrading to IE10.
    Tried RegSvr32 elevated and no help.
    Uninstalled IE10 and it is now working OK again.
    Thanks, this did the trick.

I currently have the Windows update option set to automatic so I assume I'll have to select something like ask before downloading / installing. Or can I turn off only the IE10 upgrade forever?
    Lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths
    If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood...
    To do is to be (Descartes). To be is to do (Sartre). To be do be do (Sinatra)

Hi, if this problem is restricted to ms com controls one option would be for someone to write a VB6 activex OCX that mirrors the functionality of the listview, treeview etc
    i bet someone has already done so but this wouldn't be a crazy thing to do yourself IMO. i still write VB6 and these days I avoid all dependencies to the extreme to avoid these kinds of problems. eg, i needed what used to be the 'common dialog dll' which is a file selector type control. i wrote my own instead and locate it in the project not a separate OCX
    i use Createobject wherever possible to avoid hardcoding UID's into the project

maybe putting a good mscomctl.ocx it in the application exe location would make it pick up from there before the broken one?

one thing you could try.. rename a working mscomctl.ocx to mscomctlZ.ocx and run regsvr32 on it. So long as MS didn't use the same UID on the one that IE10 installs it should let you make a reference to it. If there's some sub-dependency breakage then that's a problem. how long would it take to write a listview in VB6? About a week

PS I earn my living writing Access VBA and a good portion in VB5. When I joined the company in 2001 all they had was VB5 and it worked so I never pushed them to buy VB6 at all. but yes... i do make my nut doing VB5 coding in 2013
    Recently they without any warning upgraded the terminal server environment from Windows server 2003 to 2008 64 bit. I got the VB5 application working and doing some heavy stuff with Office 2010 object library (was 2003) and ADO. It worked. I could have been in real trouble. Don't let this little ie10 problem become a showstopper guys

Quote Originally Posted by martinc65 View Post
    Hi, if this problem is restricted to ms com controls one option would be for someone to write a VB6 activex OCX that mirrors the functionality of the listview, treeview etc
    i bet someone has already done so but this wouldn't be a crazy thing to do yourself IMO.
    See CommonControls (Replacement of the MS common controls).
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

I have had this same problem this morning, I am just about to restart after UNinstalling IE 10 to see if that fixed it for me but there must be a way to resolve it and have IE 10 installed.... I know VB6 isn't supposed to work on windows 7 but this break of mscomctl.ocx seems like it wasn't supposed to happen.

Addicted Member

I was hit by this today as well and can confirm that uninstall of IE10 solves the problem. Likewise, as far as I can tell, programs compiled without the IE10 "upgrade" seem to work ok also on computers with IE10 installed. So in short, stay away from IE10 and it will be interesting to see if Microsoft will come around and address this or if it simply is another try to put a nail in the VB6 coffin, covering up their biggest mistake ever.

Edit: Thanks 2 the 1's figuring this out the hard way.
    Last edited by 7edm; Apr 2nd, 2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Gratitude

Yes I can confirm removing IE 10 also worked for me, what was odd is the compiled application worked fine with IE 10 Installed it was just VB6 itself wouldn't work with the OCX. Wasted all morning on trying to resolve this until I found this thred so thanks guys you saved me from pulling ALL my hair out.

Addicted Member

Shouldn't the titel of this topic change to something like "Warning: IE10 breaks loading of Common Controls in VB6 IDE" and be made sticky?
    M$ vs. VB6 = The biggest betrayal and strategic mistake of the century!?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by 7edm View Post
    Shouldn't the titel of this topic change to something like "Warning: IE10 breaks loading of Common Controls in VB6 IDE" and be made sticky?
    I'm not sure we've truly figured the whole thing out yet.

Some people who have earlier versions of Office installed and got a patch for it last year will have MSCTOMCTL.OCX 2.1 installed even if they've never installed IE10. But they'll still have MSCOMCT2.OCX 2.0 on their machines.

Others have IE10 installed and both of these libraries will have 2.1 interfaces.

As far as testing old programs goes, you need one you know has been compiled ealier against the old (2.0) interfaces and make sure it still runs with the 2.1 libraries installed. Recompiling tells you nothing because if you have the Upgrade Controls option checked in the Project (as everyone normally would all the time) then you've obscured the issue.

Eventually this might end up in one of the FAQ threads, but those have become difficult to find information in and often have small irregularities (i.e. errors).

A lot of these "using VB6 in the post-Win9x era" topics need to be gathered, cleaned up, and published at a web site with a different format. Forums don't cut it because what people need are "how to" articles written that cover the what, the why, and the what to do in a consistent format. A discussion forum would still be good to help fix errors in the articles and get new reports to prompt updates and new articles as things change, but a forum isn't the best format for documentation.

Addicted Member

I'm not sure we've truly figured the whole thing out yet.
    I think it's pretty clear that IE10 breaks and it makes sense to warn about that.

Some people who have earlier versions of Office installed and got a patch for it last year will have MSCTOMCTL.OCX 2.1 installed even if they've never installed IE10. But they'll still have MSCOMCT2.OCX 2.0 on their machines.

Others have IE10 installed and both of these libraries will have 2.1 interfaces.
    And what verification of validity do we have about these scenarios? People often "remember things" not necessarily matching the real sequence of events leading to something. I have Office 2007, which I suppose qualifies for old, and haven't seen anything of this - until installing IE10

As far as testing old programs goes, you need one you know has been compiled ealier against the old (2.0) interfaces and make sure it still runs with the 2.1 libraries installed. Recompiling tells you nothing because if you have the Upgrade Controls option checked in the Project (as everyone normally would all the time) then you've obscured the issue.
    I keep a VMWare snapshot of most of my releases installed, ready to use for testing and applying updates to as needed. I just did a test on an exe compiled on June 6 2011 (that I currently had up in a support case) and I don't know if that's "old enough" but would believe so, otherwise what you say is pretty much common sense any competent developer would understand. When I have more time I will test on an older exe, right now I just needed my VB6 IDE up and working again.

And I would agree with you that a FAQ and a "How To" really are 2 different things serving 2 different kind of needs, and a Forum serves yet another one. They all (ought to) have their rightful place in a community like this one.

/7

PowerPoster

Just looking at MSCOMCTL.OCX for now...

As far as I can tell these are two typelib version numbers (2.0 vs. 2.1). However the interfaces haven't changed (same Class ID values are used).

So even a program compiled against version 2.1 still works with a 2.0 library on the machine.

I tested this by compiling a small test program against 2.1 and then packaging it using the Microsoft-provided merge module for MSCOMCTL.OCX (which has a 2.0 version inside). This MSI package was then installed on a clean (no prior VB6 or VB6 program installs) VM running XP SP3.

The program runs just fine.

Of course there are problably several other impacted OCXs as well.

Note: This was compiled on a Vista SP2 machine that got this 2.1 MSCOMCTL.OCX through an Office 2003 patch last year.

The questions I have are (a.) what shows in the registry after installing IE10 but not trying to manually register these OCXs, and (b.) does manually registering them after installing IE10 eliminate the problem?

I could have sworn somebody said manual registration fixed this, but maybe it was in another thread.

Or it is possible the the IE10 "version 2.1" is different from the Office 2003 "version 2.1" and is somehow broken inside?

As I said above the "2.1" MSCOMCTL.OCX that I have from the Office 2003 patch has a build version of 6.1.98.34, I assume the IE10 copy is later.

PowerPoster

The newest rumor forwarded to me is that Win8 (which comes shipped with IE10 bundled) doesn't have these issues any more than my Vista machines.

That would seem to point the finger at the IE10 installer package.
    Last edited by dilettante; Apr 4th, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

I'm pretty sure this is not a v2.0 vs v2.1 issue because I tested on VMware Win7-SP1 x86 and have v2.0 both before and after IE10 upgrade.

Also confirmed that basic Vb6 install works OK even with IE10 installed.
    As soon as you upgrade to SP6 (newer MSCOMCTL.OCX v2.0 6.1.97.82 09/03/2004) it causes the error "Object library not registered".

Also this same identical issue appears with at least 2 3rd party Unicode control suites which have nothing to do with MSCOMCTL.OCX.
    I confirmed this with both CyberActiveX UniSuite and Hexagora Unicode Controls and Classes for Visual Basic 6.
    They both give error "Object library not registered"

The only thing in common is perhaps that they all use ComCtl32.Dll.

I am here to tell you that this is not true. I am getting the error 372 from a VB6 application. The program starts but as soon as the mscomctl.ocx trys to load a tool bar the app crashes. Help!

The newest rumor forwarded to me is that Win8 (which comes shipped with IE10 bundled) doesn't have these issues any more than my Vista machines.

That would seem to point the finger at the IE10 installer package.

Sorry if that came out wrong... the problem still exists in Windows8 and IE10. VB6 sp6 application problem with loading the toolbar control on the form.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this or are we going to have to wait for a solution from Microsoft?

Quote Originally Posted by wjkssmd View Post
    Sorry if that came out wrong... the problem still exists in Windows8 and IE10. VB6 sp6 application problem with loading the toolbar control on the form.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this or are we going to have to wait for a solution from Microsoft?
    If you start a new project and add Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or MSCOMCT2.OCX to the Toolbox what error do you get?
    If the problem is the same as we are seeing in Win7+IE10 it should throw error "Object library not registered".
    In lieu of waiting for MS to solve this, the quick solution for Win7 is to uninstall IE10.

BTW - Others have had issues installing SP6 on Win8.
    Are you sure you have SP6? Look at Help/About to see if it is installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Apr 6th, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: SP6

Addicted Member

@DrUnicode: Somewhat OT, in your About box I see in the lower right corner "Forms3: 15.0.4420.101" while on my own I have "Forms3: 12.0.6604.100", otherwise all is same (apart from License box of course), are you able to shed some light on this, I thought I was up-to-date with everything? I have VB6 (Professional I will recall) installed on Win7-64.

PowerPoster

Interesting tidbit about that, something I'd never heard:
    The forms package found in Visual Basic 6 is local to that environment.
    You can use Visual Basic 6 forms only in Visual Basic 6. Microsoft has tried in
    the past to create a single, standard forms package that could be shared across
    multiple products such as Visual Basic, C++, and Office. The initiative, called
    Forms3 (pronounced Forms Cubed), never realized this goal. Forms3 is alive
    and well in Office but was never made fully compatible with the Visual Basic
    forms package.
    I think it reflects the version of Forms3 in the version of Office you have installed.

Office 2003 should yield 11.0.xxx.yyy for example, the exact value depending on your patch level I suppose. While I have Office 2003 on this machine I get a 12.0.xxx.yyy number, perhaps because there was an "advertised install/trial" 2007 bundled by the OEM.

As far as I can determine it doesn't really mean anything in VB6, and may just be some leftover vestige of the Forms Cubed effort.
    Last edited by dilettante; Apr 6th, 2013 at 02:35 PM.

I am building on a WinXp machine, so I am not seeing that error. Telling users not to install IE10 is not a great thing to do.. and my Win8 customers have it installed with the system...any ideas there? thanks. Do you think MS will respond.. this is a lot of code to abandon for them and especially for me.

If you start a new project and add Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or MSCOMCT2.OCX to the Toolbox what error do you get?
    If the problem is the same as we are seeing in Win7+IE10 it should throw error "Object library not registered".
    In lieu of waiting for MS to solve this, the quick solution for Win7 is to uninstall IE10.

BTW - Others have had issues installing SP6 on Win8.
    Are you sure you have SP6? Look at Help/About to see if it is installed.

Telling users not to install IE10 is not a great thing to do.
    Developers can hardly wait for MS to come up with a solution.
    We need it fixed yesterday.
    We have customers to support so uninstalling IE10 is the quick fix.
    There is no indication that MS even knows about this or is working on a fix.

Did you use a proper installer to add your application to Win8 including the required dependencies (mscomctl.ocx, mscomct2.ocx)?

AFAIK Win7/Win8 don't have MSCOMCTL.OCX or MSCOMCT2.OCX installed and they are classified as "Supported Runtime Files to Distribute with Your Application".
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

Both of your files mentioned are installed on the Win8 machine. I see this as a IE10 issue and we need to tell clients not to install... only that will get MS to look at the issue.

Developers can hardly wait for MS to come up with a solution.
    We need it fixed yesterday.
    We have customers to support so uninstalling IE10 is the quick fix.
    There is no indication that MS even knows about this or is working on a fix.

Did you use a proper installer to add your application to Win8 including the required dependencies (mscomctl.ocx, mscomct2.ocx)?

AFAIK Win7/Win8 don't have MSCOMCTL.OCX or MSCOMCT2.OCX installed and they are classified as "Supported Runtime Files to Distribute with Your Application".
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms788708.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast