For some reason I am no longer able to open my current project in VB6. When I try to load it I'm now getting the error message "object library not registered". The control causing the problem is Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) mscomctl.ocx. The file date/time stamp is: 1,046 KB 15/04/2005 8:58 PM. I'm wondering if some recent program installation or windows update has caused this problem by updating the .ocx file.
Based on other posts regarding this problem here is what I've tried so far. (Operating system is Windows 7 64-bit)
1. Opened a command prompt (run as administrator)
2. I changed directory to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3. Unregistered the control using the command "regsvr32 /U mscomctl.ocx" (successful)
4. Re-Registered using the command "regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx" (successful)
5. Opened a new project in VB6 and tried to add Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6) but
as soon as I click "Apply" I still get the error "object library not registered"
If I edit the project file (of the project that no longer loads) with notepad the reference to mscomctl is:
but I'm not able to tell if the project file is referencing the proper version of the control.
I could try system restore but I have no idea what update may have caused the problem and my restore points only go back about 20 days. Sure hope someone has some ideas for me. This project was previously compiled and distributed online so unless I can solve this problem I guess there won't be any future updates.