Thread: MS-DOS Program

Addicted Member

MS-DOS Program

Hello,

Is it possible to create a program with textboxes buttons etc in a MS-DOS format?

If so, how do i do it?

If you need any more info then please ask.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: MS-DOS Program

MS-DOS is very old and tired and isn't part of Windows NT. This means Windows NT 3.1 through 4.0 as well as Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) through Windows 8 (NT 6.2). Perhaps you are referrring to the Console Subsystem in NT, which supports Console Device windows in modern versions of Windows but no full-screen operation?

Or is this for some old PC actually running 16-bit MS-DOS?

VB for MS-DOS had a form of GUI based on line drawing characters and could use mouse clicks on "buttons" and such. It hasn't been avaialble for a very long time.

Addicted Member

oh right okay ideally i want to create a program using ms dos, with action codes and all this but if it isnt possible then not to worry

That's a pretty cool, retro, objective. Might I ask what you are thinking of doing?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Sure, I wanna create an incident logging system, example: if an incident happens (depending on work type) then you can log it on the system in making it has different screens with different boxes and stuff to fill out. But I want a system using dos with action codes etc, we use it at work, the system we use is a 1980s software and works great, the dos bit is intergrated into the ms based system

Like dilettante, there is a version of VB for DOS. I checked it out a couple years back and it seemed pretty interesting considering what a dinosaur it is. You can also use Quick Basic Extended but you'd have to code the "TextBoxes" yourself though.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Addicted Member

Ah okay, do you know how i can get this program at all or do i need an old computer? aha

To be honest I don't know where you can get it now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

You might try here! Seriously, the third link listed (phat code) might be worth having a look at.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

As far as I know the only legal source might be to buy a copy from somebody willing to give it up. It is possible you might still find it among the Downloads offered to MSDN subscribers.

But it isn't freeware.

.Net offers a Console application type, it's not something that uses TextBoxes but you output text to the console window very much like you used to back in the DOS days, you get input from the user's keyboard like you used to in the DOS days too.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    .Net offers a Console application type, it's not something that uses TextBoxes but you output text to the console window very much like you used to back in the DOS days, you get input from the user's keyboard like you used to in the DOS days too.
    dilettante (I think) posted a VB6 example in the code bank to do the same thing.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    dilettante (I think) posted a VB6 example in the code bank to do the same thing.
    I know vb6 allows you to make console apps too, but if Sean.Downes is to start a new program he should consider using something more modern than vb6. Java is another alternative too.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows